passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

DSiWare

retroed

Mario vs Donkey Kong: Minis March Again!

PiCOPiCT

Pop Plus: Solo

thanks Ed! is mario vs donkey kong much different from the old ds game? i've been looking around but can't find much info about dsiware games on here, guess it gets lost in other threads? or am i missing someting?

edit - also what do people do regarding screen protectors on the DS - use or don't use? i think i slightly ruined the screen on my original DS by playing ouendan, so then got a screen protector when i got a lite - but that looks a bit funny recently so i can't decide if i should get screen protectors or not :unsure:

I think there's a thread for PiCOPiCT, but the MvDK talk is just in the normal MvDK thread.

It's just extra levels really, but I was happy with that. You get quite a lot for your 800 points. :)

A dedicated DSiWare thread has been created, with previous posts merged from the DSiXL thread. :)

Reflect Missile is ace. It's by Q-Games, and you have to guide your missiles to defeat enemy blocks. It's a bit like Bust-A-Move. Awesome retro style graphics, and some funky music and sound effects as a bonus. Check out the review @NintendoLife. I've only played a couple levels, but am loving it so far.

I purchased Dark Void Zero with the remaining points. Not had chance to play it yet, but looking forward to checking it out.

spatular: I have always used HORI screen protectors, but they aren't currently available for the XL. So, for the first time, my screens are naked. :unsure:

Beyond Dark Void Zero and Picopicts I don't know if there is much else. I know there was a version of Mario vs. Donkey Kong, not sure if it came to Europe. I never tried the GBA game so I don't know what they're like but that could be worth a try.

If you don't have an iPhone then there is a version of Flight Control, too. I'm gonna try that one myself one day.

• 1 month later...

Chin stroking indie games coming to DSiWare.

Through the ESRB it has been revealed that three of Jason Rohrer's Indie PC games will be bundled and come to DSiWare and released through Sabarasa.

Passage, Gravitation, And Between will be released under Alt-Play: Jason Rohrer Anthology. Sabarasa is a small independent developer who have recently released the puzzle title Save The Turtles on DSiWare.

Given that the release will be titled Alt-Play, it might also suggest that Sabarasa are planning to do this with a few Independent PC developers. I'd like to see the original Johnny Platform's Biscuit Romp by Ishisoft get a proper DS release -- it was already made for the platform anyhow.

Something to use this thread for. I'll probably get these, so this dude can get paid, yo.

• 2 weeks later...

Metal Torrent is out now on the UK store, 500 points, 2D bullet hell style shooter, been out in japan for ages. i've been enjoying it, its not amazing but it is good fun and worth the points imo. there's 2 ships, one is easy mode - it has recharging auto-bomb, makes the game really easy, but there's still the chaining to think about - collecting cubes from dead enemies. the other ship is like hard mode and has no bombs, secondary fire is a laser that cancels bullets from an enemy into cubes when you kill that enemy, and if it has charge will also cancel any bullets close to your ship when you kill an enemy, it makes it harder to survive, but seems easier to get a chain going.

Reflect Missile is ace. It's by Q-Games, and you have to guide your missiles to defeat enemy blocks. It's a bit like Bust-A-Move. Awesome retro style graphics, and some funky music and sound effects as a bonus. Check out the review @NintendoLife. I've only played a couple levels, but am loving it so far.

got this yesterday, enjoying it too :)

• 2 weeks later...
i've been enjoying it, its not amazing but it is good fun and worth the points imo.

been playing metal torrent loads recently and have to go back on what i said as i now think it's flipping brilliant, perfect for the points, online leaderboards, downloadable replays, good length for a quick play, fun chaining/scoring system, and just great fun overall :D (edit - just got the 1cc and 3rd place on the pattern/maniac leaderboard - which unsurprisingly doesn't include japan)

also been playing quite a bit of reflect missile, which is also pretty damn good, there's a shed load of puzzles/levels, think i'm about half way through on around 100, they're getting a bit tricky and i'm not too bothered about getting medals anymore.

looking past the stupid brown colour of the dsi xl i'm really glad i got it now.

• 1 month later...

I just repurchased Reflect Missile again, I love this game to bits so it was an essential buy for my new DSi (no free 1000 points any more, d'oh!).

Does anyone have either Starship Patrol or Fieldrunners? Both tower defence games, I'm thinking of getting one of them. Starship Patrol is by Q games, and has a really cool art style to it. I know Fieldrunners is on the AppStore also.

• 1 month later...

I've downloaded a new DSiWare game, Soul of Darkness from Gameloft. It's Castlevania, if it's a rip-off or a homage is down to how you feel about this sort of thing. The character you control and the backgrounds look pretty sweet, the enemies are far too generic compared to Castlevania's. When a game points to it's inspirations as much as this does it's hard not to compare. The controls feel too delayed, too (I'm guessing it's because of it's mobile phone heritage). Thankfully, I haven't come across any troublesome platforming but if it is later on the these controls could kill the game. And the bosses are piss easy.

On a more positive note it's got some neat ideas, the elemental puzzles - while simple so far - involving you're own weapons and summoning creatures does show promise so far. It's got this little gimmick, too. There are these tent things you go in, and you use the camera to take pictures of something red, blue or green. A red thing will give you experience, blue some kind of magic and green some kind health thing. But I can never get it to work properly, I just take random pictures from where I'm sitting and it always finds something red, even if nothing red is there.

Overall, it's showing promise as a cheap (500 DSdollers), downloadable, potable game. A half decent homage to lose a half-hour to from time to time. But just playing one of the Castlevania games on the DS is probably a better idea if you haven't already done so.

• 1 month later...

there is a version of flight control on dsiware right? talking to Ben about it at the weekend, trying it with move and hearing about it on the podcast, i really liked flight control on the iphone but didn't play it much because i couldn't see what was coming because my fingers were in the way a lot, and my fingers aren't big, tried to get a stylus for the ipod and that was a disaster, it works but its crap, and while it worked well with move, as you actually draw a path for the planes i think the DS might be best suited for it - so anyone tried this version? worth getting?