passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Reviewing games

Hendo

I know me, Jimbo and Ben have discussed this before, but I stumbled upon the FAQ of an App review site (I'll link to it if you want proof, but I'd rather not give them publicity) and this is how they calculate reviews:

How are the ratings determined?

Apps are evaluated using a variety of criteria. When we evaluate an app, we start with the presumption that it is a 7/10. We then add or subtract points based on:

1. Cost: Is it within the price point of similar apps in it’s category or genre?

2. Expectation: Does it meet, exceed or fall short of expectations?

3. Graphics: Is it polished, does it have a consistent design that improves or hinders the purpose of the app

4. Originality: Does it do (or try to do) something new or innovative? Does it do something old better than the rest or in a new way?

5. Audio: Does it have or need music? Can we listen to our own music or easily turn the app’s music on and off? Is this audio appropriate to the content?

6. Usability: Is the app stable? Does it crash the device? Are the navigation elements clear and easy to figure out? Is the interface user-friendly?

7. WildCard: This is a little different for each reviewer and every app. It could be nostalgia or novelty that adds that extra point. It’s that extra magic that some apps have that transforms the gaming experience or adds to the app’s function in an entertaining or truly useful way.

I've never heard of such a ridiculous way of reviewing a game, though on the plus side, it does mean that the reviews should be consistent.

I stumbled upon this because of a news story from a few months ago:

iPhone app review site is apparently asking developers for cash in return for “expedited” game reviews.

Trixel developer Dan Boutros contacted the site to get his now-released iPhone puzzler reviewed. He got this in response:

Thanks for sending over the information about your new app. Please note that due to the number of inquiries and review requests we receive daily, it may take a while to get to your app.

We have several other additional options for you to make sure your app gets seen by our readers.

We can provide an expedited review for a $50 fee. This will get your app reviewed by our staff within 6 business days. However, just because your app is reviewed doesn’t guarantee that the app will be published.

While paying the expedite fee cannot guarantee you a positive review, we will guarantee that if our reviewers don’t approve your app we will refund your fee and not proceed with the article. After all — our readers are not interested in negative reviews — they are looking for us to highlight the best and most interesting apps out there.

Unbelievable.

i think there are arguments for and against this methodical way of reviewing games. Like you say, its consistent, and they seem to have covered all the relevant bases. Its just all a bit soulless and clinical.

The other quote is just retarded.

I've thought about reviewing games from a 5 then going +/-. The problem is it assumes that each of their criteria are equally important, and they're not. If the game's shit it doesnt matter if the graphics are good and polished, if it meets my expectations, if the sounds good.

Having that 'Wildcard' thing defeats the point too

EDIT: I like that the 3 people mentioned are the first to post :)

Agree with everything Ben says. I always consider wether the games enjoyable before anything else, thats its main purpose afterall, everything else I'll comment on, go into depth in needed and just pretty much put out there the impression the game gave me before letting any readers (lol, yeah right!) decide wether the game is for them or not.

That's true, but why not include bad games as a warning?

As Ben says, that clinical method of scoring a game doesn't make sense - firstly, the game starts at 7, surely it should be slap bang in the middle? And then you could have a game which has a flawless framerate, perfect controls, brilliant sound and visuals but is a boring dog to play and probably ends up with a high score.