passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Street Fighter IV

DANGERMAN

Dont really know where to start with this :unsure:

First things first I guess, it's awesome. Probably the thing that surprised me most, and the biggest compliment I can pay to it is that it plays like the 2D games. At no point will the fact it's in 3D get in the way or hinder you.

The fighting has been stripped back from recent Street Fighters, a shame for some charcters (Chun-Li) as it takes away moves I liked, but it's helped rebalance things, and means other characters who werent as useful (Fei Long) are now viable picks. You have a Super meter that is split into 5 segments, rather than let it charge up and unleash your Super you can use segments to make your standard special attacks more powerful (a double Sonic Boom for example, of a dragon punch with a lead in). As you take damage your revenge meter fills up(the circle next to your super meter), I haven't quite worked out the exact mechanics of this, but once it gets past its marker (or even fills up) you can launch your Ultra attack. For some this is the same as their Super, for others it's either completely different or a reworking, it can be a life saver though and deals a lot of damage due to not being all that easy fill (same with the Supers too).

There's also the Focus Attack, which is the ink attack you might have seen in the trailers. this i where the depth potentially comes from (well, more depth it's fine without it). It's easier to master than the parry system of III or alpha counters, but the computer has a habit of spamming it possibly to show off the new feature. Medium p&k activate an attack where in you wont get knocked back for one hit during it, so if someone shapes to punch you press this, you'll absorb the punch and land a hit of your own (or cancel out of it and attack properly), this attack, depending on how long you charged it, will leave them stunned for a second so you can attack again (hello Seth spamming). The cost of this is you take 'shadow' damage, i.e. your health shows the damage (at a higher rate than the attack would have normally done) but it will refil to the level it was before the attack if you dont get hit for a while.

I'll get my bitching about Abel out of the way early, he has the ability to roll through your attacks, has a powerful throw move (that he can use because he's just rolled right up to you) and a move where he can grab you out of the air if you try jumping away. He's a twat, and he likes to spam the throw move just as you're getting up off the ground. Seth is also a twat but thats less of a surprise as he's the final boss, but he uses his special move where by the computer reads your inputs and reacts before the animation starts. Case in point, I launched an attack while he was stood next to me (twice) that missed because I hit the wrong punch button, yet he didnt dodge either attack because he knew they were missing, yet the animation is the same for both attacks. With certain characters he's a twat to beat (on default), but while he might take a continue or two he is beatable and nowhere near Gill levels of cuntery.

The difficulty isn't too bad when using a preferred character, case in point on default settings with Dan I got to Seth without using a continue (used a few after that). Of the new characters, as I've mentioned Abel could be deadly in the right hands, Rufus is competant but a bit vulnerable, El Fuerte is brilliant to watch but I've not used him yet, and C.Viper is a bit arse. I suspect she's going to be pretty handy in multiplayer (though not when I used her the other night) but her moves are too easily countered in singleplayer. I think you're probably meant to use her as a counter attacker, she lacks a bit of weight to carry the fight imo, oh and she plays as a weak version of Terry from SNK, and she also doesnt have a lead in jumping attack (a la Ryu's medium & hard kicks), which is what makes her a bit vulnerable if you try leading the charge with her.

I've only managed a couple of games online and both were laggy, but this is more due to a lack of Europeans playing, the best I've managed is 3/5 full for reception. You get medels you can access offline for what you do online, there's a Ranking option i've not used yet (because it says not to, although there's thousands of people already on it so i might aswell have) and you can set various parameters for the fight (one round, english language, good reception etc).

That'll do for now because this is already a huge post, it is very good, I've not tried it with the standard pad and unless something breaks I probably wont. One mor ething though, because you're going to see the loading screen quite a lot I recommened installing (both ps3 and 360 I assume), you still have the prefight screen but it'll save you a second or so each continue, which can really add up. A quick restart shortcut would also have helped, rather than having to go back to the character select screen

Nice review Ben - thanks!

Im hoping by the time I get round to fighting online it wont be too laggy. I need to perfect my Cammy skills first!

The fighting has been stripped back from recent Street Fighters, a shame for some charcters (Chun-Li) as it takes away moves I liked, but it's helped rebalance things

I had that problem returning to SSF2THDR as I was so used to Alpha 3 Cammy

Nice Preview Ben - thanks!

Thanks :) but the reviews not done yet, it'll be going up Thursday by the sound of it.

And yeah, I cant remember if HDremix has air blocking or not, but i remember going back to SF2 and getting annihilated without it

BTW you need to beat the game with Viper to get Cammy, I'm not going to bias you against her as it could just be I'm not suited to using her, but i had to drop the difficulty down to beat Seth with her. Actually i probably would have done it eventually but it was wasting my weekend. It probably helped get me used to the game though, so in the long run it might have been a good thing

BTW you need to beat the game with Viper to get Cammy

Yeah I know - my thoughts at the moment are that it will be the only time I use her (Viper) as I am a bit meh about her character design - and from what you say her moves list doesnt make her much better.

Just to say I've managed to get a couple more fights online, had 4 out of 5 for signal and it was pretty much perfect. The guy set his language to Japanese, so maybe it's less about location than I thought it was. I've seen a few people on there from UAE, millionaires no doubt, their connections have beein uniformly shit, there was someone with language set to Dutch that had a pretty poor connection too.

Anyway, I won the fights i had, I was Ken against Viper and it was so unfair I felt a bit bad, so i went Bison next (not great with him) against his Rufus, and again it was pretty easy although they did better in the second round. Good to know I'm not the worst person in the world at this :)

I may have to get my online fix at this as soon as it comes out - the longer and longer you leave it, the more l33t the player base becomes and winning becomes impossible. Gonna play some SFII tonight to get me in the mood.

the Ultra is pretty good, the Super less so because its range is so rubbish, and there's a gap when she slams the floor where she can be countered (not by me, but by someone with skills). I dont mind her looks, in fact i think she's one of the better looking characters in the new style, without her glasses on at any rate.

And it's review code TGK

I honestly can't wait, even more so now that I know easy is actually easy (I suck balls at Street Fighter)

i suck too, and found easy to be really hard, well the last boss anyway, not really bothered about that though as i'll only be playing multiplayer, and that was great fun!

Via Riva through Bitparade, I didnt even realise Capcom sent us stuff, not a bad first thing to get if it is our first from them :)

I'm working my way through arcade with everyone so i can get the last few characters (I think you have to beat it with everyone then fill certain requirements). I fought Gouken but he's still not selectable, looks badass though. Anyway because of this I've had to play as fighters I'd ordinarily avoid, and tbf to them some are worth playing as. Blankas electricity is not as cheap but is pretty much his most powerful move, some of his winning quotes are pretty funny though.

Nowhere near as funny as Zangief mind, the guy's a ledge. I've always been arse with him but he's a fucking monster! He can take and deal insane amounts of damage, so much so that I squared off toe to toe against Seth and Abel (on easy rather than normal admittedly, but not easiest) and annihalated the pair of them. The spinning piledriver is a bit random as to when it work and when it recognises it as his 'dragon punch' input, but you do so much damage when it does land that it's the perfect way to give the pair of them a tast of their own medicine. His winning quotes are brilliant too, especially with Ryu and Sagat (and his rival conversation with Abel).

I've also done some of the challenges, the trial ones teach you combos and some of them are a nightmare to pull off and arent helped by having a charged super meter constantly. There's also time and survival attacks, but i've not tried them yet.

Oh and I hope there's no Dhalsim fans as he's a bit shit. i'm sure he can be mastered way aove what i'm capable of with my favourite characters but he's really slow and his moveset is a bit limited. Fei Long on the other hand is awesome

i cant wait for this badboy. ben i heard you have to beat the game with akuma, then play again with someone youve beaten the game already with (any character i think, or maybe someone else), and reach and beat gouken (fulfilling certain requirements like not using a continue) and itll unlock then. if youve beat the game with akuma already, im not sure whats gone on tbh.

cant wait to try gouken, fei long, ryu, dan and akuma. from what im hearing on t3h 1nt3rw38Z ryu will be my main choice though.

I've still not unlocked Akuma (Gouki is a better name :( ) I think you need to beat arcade with everyone, then get 2 perfects and 2 ultra's, then beat him. Annoying but something to work towards and a good way to force people away from the usuals.

I did face Akuma online yesterday, the guy waited for me to pick someone (I went Guile because he's selected someone shit), then he cancelled out and rushed to the top of the screen so he could pick Akuma before I could change <_< He was really good with him tbf but I beat him one round, then beat the crap out of him Ken v Ken

To unlock gouki I have read you need to beat the game with all the original cast to unlock Seth - then beat it with seth to unlock gouki - then beat it with gouki to unlock gouken - could be all bollocks tho as there is so many different 'solutions' out there.

Brilliant info here, Ben. I'm so looking forward to this game.

Oh and I hope there's no Dhalsim fans as he's a bit shit. i'm sure he can be mastered way aove what i'm capable of with my favourite characters but he's really slow and his moveset is a bit limited. Fei Long on the other hand is awesome

I use Dhalsim. He's always been slow and limited which makes it even more satisfying when you whoop somebody with him and they're like 'wha ... ?'