passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Gears of War 2

illdog

I LOVE THIS GAME ONLINE

I know you lot are too soft to handle it online.... but i have had some of the best multiplayer moments of my life already with gears2.

This morning i was playing annex and got our asses handed to us in the first round. Decided to pop on my headset and see if anyone was up for some teamwork... they were... and we pulled it back and kicked their sorry asses back to Halo3.

The new weapon balance is so great. Shotgun is STILL a 1 shot kill IF you are aiming and stationary. You start moving and you start to lose power and accuracy... you hip fire and then forget about it.

I instagibbed 2 guys charging me by aiming from cover. It was beautiful.

I am also shockingly bad with the sniper rifle.... but i am aware that its an awesome mele weapon. It has a very long reach and you take someone out in two hits.

Waiting round a corner as i was guarding our spot... i had planted some nades on the walls round the back to cover my ass. As soon as someone came around i whacked them with the snipe melee. After a successful mele hit your enemy is stunned and cannot react for a few seconds. You are also automatically locked onto them for a few seconds.... i immediately whacked him again and down he went. Held the points like this for the whole match.

On another game all my team rushed off and died leaving just me against four. Luckily one of the enemy had run off ahead of the pack. I managed to down him with some ranged fire and used him as a meat shield.

With cover behind me i was able to pistol fire at each enemy as they came towards me... a few rappid shots followed by a mellee took two of them down very quickly. I snapped the neck of my shied and finished the downed guys off and then went hunting for the final kill. The guy got the drop on me though... but i managed to roll back into some cover. My blind fire was enough to scare him off for a bit while i recovered.

I then waited with my shotgun aimed head height at the doorway. As soon as he came round BANG... his head shot clean off... fucking beautiful victory for the locusts.

I would have never have been able to pull any of that crap off in Gears1.

What they have done to this game is incredible. It now plays how it should. You are at an advantage if you use cover and use your team. It pays to out think the enemy.

The sticky nades and shields add balance to you if you are outnumbered, and if you can grab a power weapon like the mortar you can just randomly fluke it and wipe out entire teams in one go.

For me this really is the game of the year.

is it my connection or does it take a while to find matches online?

anyone had that problem?

Haven't tried myself, but you're not alone.

Epic has made fixing Gears of War 2's skill-based matchmaking its top priority, and hopes to have a solution soon.

"We're aware that some folks are experiencing longer-than-ideal wait times while using the skill-based public matchmaking in Gears 2 multiplayer," said senior producer Rod Fergusson on the official forums.

"We're working on some solutions but it's a complicated issue as there isn't any one problem; it's a combination of factors. Clearly, scale is one of them as we've had millions of successful matches played online so far, [but] a small percentage of players are having issues, which is unacceptable.

"We're working closely with Microsoft to address the matchmaking issues, I promise you that it is our number one priority, and we hope to have an update soon," he said.

Until then, he suggested a few workarounds. Trying different playlists can reduce delays, as can having at least two people in the party before matchmaking; a full team of five, incidentally, is the fastest way.

Re-inviting the nine other people in the game immediately after one finishes is also a top tip from Fergusson, although this will turn the match into a private affair. There's benefits to this, such as being able to pick maps and modes, although the outcome will not be recorded or ranked.

He suggests double-checking the NAT settings with your router, too.

ahh well thanks its good to know they are fixing the problem

i hate how it takes soooo long sometimes i left if for an hour didnt realise i left it on upstairs and when i came back it stiiiiill hadnt found one

oh well ill stick to playing with bots or jus private with friends

YEah its stupid.

All games with matchmaking seem to do this on release..... then they patch it and its really quick.

Its odd that STILL microsoft hasn't just set up a dedicated matchmaking department and all games just plug into it.

I was also experiencing rediculous amounts of lag last night. Shotgun fire was hitting the ground over a second later in pretty much all games i joined.

I am not sure if this was just cos the network was a bit screwy with everyone downloading the update... i really do hope so as last night and this mornings experiences were horrible and made me not enjoy the online of this game again.

It was full of WTF moments that were rife in gears 1 where you would come round the corner and explode before the other person had even appeared to have fired their gun :-(

Boooooooooooo.

I was also experiencing rediculous amounts of lag last night. Shotgun fire was hitting the ground over a second later in pretty much all games i joined.

I am not sure if this was just cos the network was a bit screwy with everyone downloading the update... i really do hope so as last night and this mornings experiences were horrible and made me not enjoy the online of this game again.

It was full of WTF moments that were rife in gears 1 where you would come round the corner and explode before the other person had even appeared to have fired their gun :-(

Boooooooooooo.

i know whats that about

they said that the shotgun delay and everything was fixed online but i was testin it and i had lag and it clearly wasnt fixed my bullets took years to appear and then i fired boom shots and it fired but no bullets or whatever came out and i still had it and i DIED!!

Sam

Did they say that they had RECENTLY fixed the shotgun lag in Gears2 since launch?

Or do you mean that they fixed it from Gears1

Its odd because yesterday morning and the day before i had two sets of fantastic games and i could hold my own.

Last night and this morning both sets were horrendous to the point where i just ended up switching off my console in frustration both times as i was just getting gibbed all over the place

naaaah i read an interview about the multiplayer in gears 2 before it came out and they said that they had fixed the shotgun problems

i dno perhaps its good for them and bad for some people

probs just varies with peoples connections

Ha ha ha ohhh good times.

I really wish they would patch this game up though.

Horde and Campaign are great... as are private matches... but i am getting so frustrated with the matchmaking now.

It took over ten minutes to find a game this morning where as two of the ones previous only took a couple of seconds.

Pluss it really needs a region filter as even the smallest bit of lag can make a difference in a game like this. I am already coming accross some horrible shotgun moments again that are reminding me of gears 1.

Its a shame as this is a game who'se multiplayer for me should be the best thing out there. It feels like it could be... but it just sort of misses the mark.

Boo Hoo.