passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Fifa 09

DANGERMAN

Don't call it a comeback. Believe the hype. And so on

Fifa really is quite good this year, I only played the Wii version last year (which was ok) so I missed out on the early hype surrounding it, but I am pleasently surprised by how good it is so far. I've only had a couple of proper games and they seem quite good, definately slower and more tentative than Pro Evo, but I can't really say more than that untill I've played that part more.

I've spent most of my time on the Be A Pro mode, where you control a single player and try to improve and force yourself into the first team. Here you gain experience for hitting requirements and performing well in the games. essentially you start out with a mark of 5 and it goes up/down with every pass you make/miss, shots on goal, takles made/failed etc. The problem is it's far too obsessed with position, I know it's a team game and that's what makes this a test, but if your team loses the ball whilst you're up front then you've got about 2 seconds to get withing 30 yards of your own goal otherwise you lose points. It's especially annoying on the counter when there's a massive gap you could exploit, but if you do you'll be out of position and will be punished. It feels a bit like you passing through gates on a snowboarding game

Also unlike the Pro Evo version (which is a full career) Fifa's take on the solo mode only lasts 4 years, so if you do want to scale the hights then you'd better put the effort in every single game. In the second season the requirements go insane and you're expected to get a score of 10 in a match, score a hattrick etc, fine but to do that you would have to play solely for yourself loitering up front.

As would happen in real life, within a season I have graduated from Uniteds youth to the resevers, captained them, got some England B caps, displaced Giggs and idiot Nani to become first choice left winger, AND put an end to Beckhams, Walcott's, Bentley's and Wright-Phillips' England careers on the right hand side. :)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The best thing about Fifa's and PES's control a single player modes is taking it online and having a team of human players all controlling different players, because sometimes its too frustrating to rely on the computer controlled players only for them to balloon the ball out of play or alternatively every once in a while a great pass will be supplied and you wont be expecting it.

The only thing I didnt like much about it, and this applies to FIFA and PES and is nothing new, is that this game mode is either too easy or too hard, there doesnt seem to be a comfortable middle. As in the example Ben gives you can go from relative no one to world conqueror with the right difficulty setting or put the difficulty too hard and you will end up stuck in the B team.

Yeah, I always found PES to be the worst for those games where you just aren't going to score no matter what you do, in fact if you manage to hit 3 shots you've done well. Usually it's because the computer has decided you've forgotton how to pass and your boots are made of concrete.

Ive not took this online yet, I might do later in the week. The online mode on the Wii went through EA's own hub and it was a bit of a pain in the arse but it ran smooth enough, hopefully this will too

• 2 months later...

Almost scored a Zola for Wigan v Man Utd in Be A Pro mode

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

we did win 1-0 though

Well, I think my player's short passing stat (this is be a pro mode, so I was only in control of the one player) is stupidly high, will have a look later but I'm certain its in the 90's ;)

2 matches before that one, we destroyed Chelsea 5-1, Heskey got 2, Zaki got 2 and I got the fifth

• 4 weeks later...

Been playing this the past couple of days and it's really hooked me, I even went to bed thinking about the goals I scored against Chelsea and Fulham. Problem is I tend to score the same goals (how I used to score when I was a healthy teenager), racing through beyond the attackers as they play the ball into my path, then slotting home. I scored a hattrick before, each of them into the same side of the goal. I know I shouldn't be complaining, 27 goals in 23 games is nothing to be sniffed at, but I'm not even scoring off corners any more, and I dont think I've scored a volley in pro mode yet, hell I barely get the space to try one.

Maybe it's down to playing on professional difficulty, maybe it's because i'm well into the 3rd season, maybe it's because of my stats; i.e. my speed and acceleration are 99 so i can tear through and make the most of that, and when my heading was weaker I couldn't head the ball over the bar so i ended up lobbing the keeper with a sliced header. It's not the end of the world and I still really rate the game, but I would like to score some wonder goals

I've scored 2 goals in 2 games today, my Wigan beat Reading 3-0, I scored the first, set Heskey up for the second then their keeper came out for a corner on 90 minutes, our defender headed the ball out, it arrived at my feet, passed it to Heskey who just shot from the half way line, 3-0 and I got a rating of 10

Second game was away at Blackburn, beat them 2-0, Zaki(?) got the first, which came from a defence splitting pass from me (my speciality), the other one came from a great pass from the second striker (forget his name, but I have the replay). I got a 9.4 from that game and was involved in everything that happened. I'm a right midfield dynamo :lol:

I'm in my third season too, not broken into the full England set up yet though and don't have the arm band at club level though, despite having the highest overall stats in the squad, although my consistency hasn't been great this season admittedly.

Well my moaning is at an end, I'm not scoring wonder goals still, but I am mixing it up more, even took the piss and scored a Giggs (v Arsenal FA Cup Semi) which is a wonder goal but i want some screamers. Im on a bit of a special scoring run at the minute too, I've scored a hattrick in each of my last 6 games, and in the midst of that run a double hattrick for England. My total for the season is (i think, it might have gone up) 49 goals in 33 games :D

My stats are ridiculous now too, because of the run I was getting nearly 2,000 experience a game, so my total is a whopping 97 (Ronaldo is rated 91) with the top 3 general abilities (Attack, err movement and another) all maxed out, only mentality is really letting me down. That'll change by the end of the season though and I've still got the 4th season to go. Quality game, definately the best Fifa I've ever played

• 2 weeks later...

Hows about this? England Reserves v New Zealand reserves, we're (England) 3-0 up after 25 minutes, Andy Johnson scoring a hat-trick, then I come up with this thanks to a lobbed through ball from the hat-trick scorer

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Before half time, there was a fifth goal, an own goal, but the final result was 5-1 meaning I missed out on a tonne of Bonus EXP, plus I got sent off in stoppage time for a silly silly tackle.