passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Fanedits - The Phantom Edit

Oliath

Someone at work put me onto this site today:

http://fanedit.org/

Maybe its old news?

Anyway... the idea was.... i was moaning about how Starwars I was bad and II was even worse and that they could have been so good.... as could the Matrix sequels have been if the directors had not been surrounded by yes men.... you know... if people had stood up to them and said... 'er...actually this isn't working'.

This guy tells me of something called The Phantom Edit.

Its a fan edited version of Phantom Menace, by a StarWars nut who was very unhappy with the new film when it came out and happens to be a California film editor also.... so the result is awesome (apparently)

I had a look at the site (above) and it seems that you can actually download these edits of the films, providing you own the originals. You just need a rappid share account or access to a bit torrent thingy.

I grabbed this guys new edits of Episode I and II and also a new edit of Matrix II and III into one film.

You can read reviews and so on of all the edits and weed out anything that is likely to be shite.

Many times i have thought that some modern films were massively dissapointing and could have been so much better had they been trimmed down.... and this site seems to offer answers to that.

I'll admit Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones weren't great films, they weren't even good Star Wars films when compared to the original trilogy, but you have to remember they were made for a very different market of kids, the same way the original trilogy were pushed onto kids with all the merchanising and stuff, those two films were made to introduce a whole new audience to the franchise, hence Mr Wooden being 'shopped into the funeral scene at the end of Return of the Jedi.

The 2nd and 3rd were ok for that "it's for kids!" kind of thing, but the first one was absolute dog shit. Unlike everyone else I could handle Ja Ja, but I could not stand the little kid. The worst acting I've ever seen in my life (and I went to college with a load of drama students, so I've seen some foul deeds) and the kind of face you want to punch.

Plus, let's explain the Force! No, let's not.

Dunno if this is the right one, but I did find this which is pretty funny:

Jar Jar didn't bother me too much, he's an annoying twat but the film itself recognised that. Mini-Anakin was a 'tard but not as much as Hayden bloody Christiansen was in II and III, but those Engrish speaking Trade Federation types grated quite a bit. The Midichlorians thing was complete bullshit and I think even Lucas recognised that as it never resurfaced outside of Episode I as far as I'm aware (including the Expanded Universe stuff such as games, books and comics). But I do still like watching it for all the Qui-Gon, Obi Wan and Darth Maul stuff.

I saw Ep1 twice... the first time I hated it, biggest disappointment...

The second time however was different, I'd been drinking with some mates in town and met my parents and brother at the cinema to watch it. I don't actually remember all of it that clearly (drinking is dangerous, kids) but I do remember REALLY enjoying it and coming out smiling, apparently I was shouting/whooping at one point. So there you have it, alcohol can turn a shit film (and it is awful, don't get me wrong) into an awesome one... just make sure you parents aren't there to share the experience...

at the risk of upsetting people here (believe me that isn't my intention, i'm just a bit to into star wars..)

they aren't kids films!!what kids are going to be interested or understand the concept of trade disputes and embargoes!! With the new trilogy they completely missed the point of what made the original trilogy fantastic kids films. They weren't patronising or insulting to the intelligence of the audience. I would bet if you sat down kids in front of the original trilogy and the new trilogy, they would pick the originals every time. Han, Luke and Chewie will trump spunky special FX every time.

Anyone with kids that can prove me wrong, feel free to.

Mine are a bit too young to sit and watch the films (short attention spans) but when Phantom Menace was on ITV or whatever recently, they watched a bit of it and I'm sad to say they loved Jar Jar. :o

Precisely.

Jar Jar, a more "comical" R2-D2, flashy lightsaber fights, Anakin jumping out of a speeder, need I go on?

Kid's aren't interested in pot and good characterisation, they want instant thrills and action with cheap laughs, look at all the success Nicklodeon and Cartoon Network have had with their cartoons that run on the same premise, how about the Shrek films or indeed any kids film thats come out in the past 15 years that wasn't by Pixar?

The trade embargo stuff was put in there so parents would have something to watch, but Lucas doesn't know how to tell a tale to an older generation so that bit was incredibly boring.

And to be fair to George Lucas and poor old Jar Jar - he is the perfect kids character. He talks funny, he falls over, he sticks his tongue out, he pinches a frog and has it sticking out his mouth, he stands in poo, he gets his head fried by the pod racer, he faints etc etc When you are under 10 those are the funniest things in the world.

And to be fair to George Lucas and poor old Jar Jar - he is the perfect kids character. He talks funny, he falls over, he sticks his tongue out, he pinches a frog and has it sticking out his mouth, he stands in poo, he gets his head fried by the pod racer, he faints etc etc When you are under 10 those are the funniest things in the world.

Someone has been watching this far too many times...

Someone has been watching this far too many times...

I did watch it a few too many times at the cinema - and on a pirate copy I had - and then the DVD. :blink:

I have only so far watched Attack of the Clones once tho.