passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

iTunes

retroed

Just a quick query as an iTunes n00b.

Is iTunes useful if you don't have an iPod/iPhone? I download a few of gaming podcasts (around 20 or so) each week and then transfer the individual mp3 audio files on to the microSD that my Sony Ericsson K850i takes. Anything that can help speed up the process would be a bonus, automated downloads etc. I don't mind copying files on to the micro SD as per current. Basically what I want to know the answer to is, is it possible to subscribe to the Podcasts on iTunes as normal, then transfer them to a mobile phone, or even an mp3 disc?

I was thinking of maybe getting one of the new iPod Nano's (or maybe even an iPod Touch, my friend has just got an iPhone and it's a bit nice), but I haven't decided whether I actually want, or need, one yet.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

*cracks knuckles*

Now you're talking. :)

iTunes is by far the easiest and most convenient way of getting podcasts and no, you don't have to have an iPod! I don't, I listen to podcasts on my phone and it's a piece of piss.

Once the file is in the podcast section you can drag and drop them to anywhere you like - you don't have to go hunting out the folder where you saved it to, iTunes sorts that out.

Here's a pic of my iTunes screen in the podcast section - http://ds-wiifi.co.uk/images/hendo/itunes1.jpg

The different sections on the left under Library are completely seperate - a podcast won't be copied into your music library, neither will a ringtone (not actually used that) or a TV show or Movie.

In the podcast section itself you can see all the different podcasts I'm subscribed to, all bar 1up Yours are 'closed'. By clicking on the feed arrow (right next to the name) it opens up and you can see all the shows (like the 1up Yours one).

You can keep the files for as long as you like or delete them whenever.

You can set the feeds to check for new shows whenever you like, mine is every hour. The convenience is, I get the 1up Yours and 1up Show every week without having to go get it, and a not-so-regular show like Retronauts arrives when it's ready.

There's also the convenience of the music library too but I've typed enough.

Cheers for the replies. :)

Right, so I have set up some subscriptions to the latest podcast's, and they have all downloaded. This is the current look in my iTunes Podcast area:

itunesaf1.th.jpg

So, how do I get them on to my micro SD from there? I notice in the 'My Music' folder in XP that I have a new iTunes folder, like this:

itunes2ir8.th.jpg

From here I can drag and drop no problem, but does this get updated with the latest podcasts, and remove the ones I've listened to, etc?

Ignore the folder, Ed!

Drag and drop from iTunes itself to any folder you want.

What I tend to do is drag a show to My Documents and then open up my phone's software which is pointed towards My Documents by default, and then it moves it onto the phone.

*EDIT*

Though you may be able to drag and drop direct onto your phone's software, I dunno.

The blue circle is a sign that you haven't listened to at least one show in the feed - if you already have, right-click on the file and choose Mark As Not New. Or if you want to add a circle to one as a way of remembering it, Mark As New.

You can effect the whole of the feed by doing this on just the title bit.

• 5 months later...

Like Hinn, I'm after an iPod so I'm after some advice for the iPod and iTunes Music Store.

Which type of iPod would you guys recommend? Due to the possibility of some cool games I want one that will most likely play them, plus as big a flash drive as possible inside it.

Also, if I set it up on my PC, can I still sync it on a Mac (when I go and pick my Mac up) or is it just one or the other?

I nearly bought my first song from the iTunes Music Store yesterday, but as I went into my account details to change my card details, I found the following:

Computer Authorisations :

One machine is authorised to play music bought from this account

I know about the crazy DRM stuff that stops you from playing bought music on other mp3 players, which is rubbish but I only use iTunes anyway, but wouldn't that fuck up me playing bought music when I change computers, or when I use a Mac?

Any idea if this can be upgraded?

To be honest, the games are a bonus - I've been after an iPod for years and ideally carry as much of my music collection as I can.

I'm really not into getting an iPhone until they're cheaper, you're not tied to one network and they go 3G over here.

Which models plays vids? I'm really into the idea of watching films or video podcasts on the move, another reason why I want the biggest drive you can get.

To be honest, the games are a bonus - I've been after an iPod for years and ideally carry as much of my music collection as I can.

I'm really not into getting an iPhone until they're cheaper, you're not tied to one network and they go 3G over here.

Which models plays vids? I'm really into the idea of watching films or video podcasts on the move, another reason why I want the biggest drive you can get.

I Pod Classic

This will be what you want. Crazy hard drive size, enough to save half of africa on there. Plays movies games and videos....oh and music as well

On the subject of iphones, i'm defo going to make the change once my o2 contract is up in november. I love the touch but find it frustrating carrying that and my phone in my pocket when i know there is a device out there that does both at once. Plus i'm sold on the unlimited internet part of the contract, esp now its 3g

iPod Classic 80Gb GET!

I know I should've spent the extra and gone for the 160G version but I reckon if I go through my collection and give it a small tidy, I can probably fit my music collection on this beast.

Only problem is I don't have USB 2.0 so it's really fucking slowly updating.

I'm gonna have to leave my PC on all night.

8GB Nano 3rd gen FTW, it's a mini Classic. I got mine in march for my bday, and it's one of the best bits of kit I've ever had. How I lived without it before I don't know. Simplicity at its best! I don't really need a massive storage capacity on mine. I currently have 882 songs, 2 videos, 23 podcasts, and 5 games (inc Peggle and Song Summoner), and still have 1.9GB left. :)

But yeah, since this thread was started I got an iPod, and coupled with iTunes it works flawlessly. The way it all sync's every time you connect the cable, and downloads the latest podcasts etc, it's just great.

Ah that's a good idea.

And sure enough, I started it up at about half 10 last night, left it over night, got up at 5am and it was only on Depeche Mode.

I joked to a guy in work that when I got home it'd probably be on Morrissey. :lol:

It's on Mogwai. :weep:

Knew I should've gone for the 160gig model - getting my music collection down to 74 gig (the actual size of the memory) is bloody hard.

I've now wiped my iPod and started again, should be ready this time tomorrow.

How do you delve into the selection and take stuff off? I couldn't work out how to delete the podcasts I'd listened to. :blush:

ive just got the 2.0 update on my touch as well, apps are certainly where it is at. Have you played monkey balls yet? If they come out with some top notch software, i can actually see this becoming a viable gaming format.

Go apple!!

Can you open up your player through itunes then delete it from there? Failing that can you set an ipod to data only then delete stuff (that's how it works on my Sansa) essentially like it's a memory stick?

Yeah, you just go to the track or whatever you want to get rid of and hit the delete button on your keyboard.

I haven't got any video podcasts on mine Hendo, but whenever I plug my iPod in it gets rid of any podcasts that I have listened to. They are completely removed from my actual iPod, and no longer have the blue dot next to them on iTunes (not marked as new).