passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

SNES/SFC NTSC Mod

retroed

Well, I had this topic posted on the old forum. Here it is again!

I received my SFC bundle today. It's in gamers condition, not mint but it works.

I paid £22 delivered for this little lot. Bargain!

superfamicombundlefm0.jpg

Powered her up to check all was working. the Super Famicom is RGB enabled so I plugged in my Official Gamecube RGB Scart lead and checked out SFII Turbo. Looks amazing and at full screen 60Hz, too! I checked out my NTSC F-Zero using the Universal adaptor, and a few PAL games. ideal, full screen no borders!

Not all PAL games work perfectly, Mario World has screen flicker, for example. But I tried a few and the majority work with no problems. Those that don't work properly, I'll try and source their SFC/NTSC equivalent.

sfc2jv2.jpg

The Super Famicom will play US NTSC games without the use of an adaptor, the only problem is, the carts don't fit through the slot!

So, I've taken the SFC apart, and I'm going to hack away at it until they fit snuggly. Trying to keep it all looking neat, of course.

moddedsfcws6.jpg

I've just finished doing the mod, here's a brief write up and some pictures.

First up, I masked up the cart connections. I then got the file and drill, and started hacking away at either side, bit by bit, until it was wide enough to accept an NTSC cart. I wasn't too worried about how tidy it looked, as it won't be visible when all put together. I then hoovered up the small pieces of dust that were there.

sfcmodsizeduk6.jpg

sfcmodsized2cv0.jpg

I then cut away either side of where the cart slots in, filed and then sanded down to make completely smooth. I had to file a bit away from the curve too, as the cart is slightly larger all round. Then I put it all back together.

sfcmodsized3nk0.jpg

sfcmodsized4kx8.jpg

Then I tested it was all working, fingers crossed...

sfcmodsized5ba2.jpg

sfcmodsized6or1.jpg

It did, yay! And one extra pic for luck.

sfcmodsized7cm7.jpg

Really chuffed that it all went well, now I just have to get a few more SFC/NTSC games to play on it, and be done away with borders and 50Hz. :-)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I had another play around today. The SFC I modded above is quite discoloured, and I like minty looking machines, especially when it's under the living room TV. So, I took one of my PAL systems, got my Gamebit tool out, and swapped over the insides. I had to redo the PAL SNES to allow the cart to fit inside, I did a neater job this time, too.

snes1fn4.jpg

snes2qb5.jpg

snes3ps9.jpg

snes4ne2.jpg

It's much the stealth machine now, in minty mint condition. I'd like a Super Famicom plate to put on the front, but the one I have would look out of place due to the discolouring. And now I also have a PAL SNES that looks like a SFC, lol. I may have a go at making it a universal console soon.

:)

get some of that oxy cleaning jazz from Vanish see if that polishes it up then wipe it down with an alcohol wipw should reduce the discoloration worked on my NES a few years ago, didnt post this last time cos i was too busy drooling over your setup :)

• 1 month later...

To follow on from this, at the weekend, I am purchasing some primer, and white paint. I'm going to take the yellowed system apart, and give it a shiny respray! I've done a bit of spraying in the past, so it should turn out decent.

I am going to try and make it so that it can sit next to the Wii and look very similar. I am also going to purchase a blue LED, although not sure that I am brave enough to attempt to replace the standard red one yet. I may end up buying a completely region free system with blue LED already fitted. I can get one for circa £35 delivered, then transfer the cases over.

The only natch is that I am going to have to spray over the logo's, so I am looking into getting some custom made original style decals that I can apply afterwards. Or if I was any good at it, I could try engraving the Nintendo logo, ala Wii. Anyone have any links to JPG's of the Nintendo & Super Famicom logo (the bigger the better)?

If the project is successful, two of my SNES pads will be receiving the same treatment. :)

Well, here are some pics. I'm not sure whether I like it or not, but hey, it was something to do. The paintwork isn't perfect as I kinda rushed the job to be honest, but as long as you don't look too closely it's all good.

whitesnes6oj4.jpg

whitesnes7ac5.jpg

whitesnes8hz1.jpg

whitesnes1nl1.jpg

whitesnes2pj5.jpg

whitesnes3ci2.jpg

whitesnes4dn4.jpg

whitesnes5eh2.jpg

The pics look a bit better than it does in person, the camera didn't pick up the minor imperfections.

Nah, I wasn't brave enough to attempt to fit the blue LED. This is my only Super Famicom, and I didn't want to risk buggering it up. :blush:

I'm still in two minds as to whether I like it or not. I may still end up buying a fully region free model, with a blue LED already fitted, and leave it unpainted.

It could be up for grabs, can put standard PAL innards or stay Super Famicom (would need PAL booster box for the back, though). :whistle:

I think it looks awsome Ed, good job. Anything else in the pipeline? However it turns outthe process is always fun.

I do love to fook around with consoles, my problem is I always want to do something spectacular to them but i have the imagination of a solvent abuser. I did a Megadrive a while ago but the woman ruined it with her female ways. Was lovely and red. I do have a nice Pink Dreamcast that I sprayed that some of you may have seen.

Anyone else going to have a go?

• 8 months later...

Well I finally got hold of a nice clean looking SNES shell to put my Super Famicom insides in to. I have cut the shell and widened the grey cart slot to allow NTSC carts to fit. I have also replaced the red LED with a blue one.

Some pics:

snes2ej5.jpg

snes3jg5.jpg

snes4sw0.jpg

Cart slot:

snes1rg0.jpg

snes5xt7.jpg

LED:

snesled2ps6.jpg