passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Street Fighter II

Hendo

Street Fighter II Turbo is the best in the series for me. It's in my top ten games of all-time, it's that good! The PAL version did have huge borders, but even the NTSC versions had small borders.

The Classic Controller would be the only way to play it imo, with the buttons laid out SNES style. :)

From Wikipedia....

The Mega Drive/Genesis port, known as Street Fighter II: Special Champion Edition, contained both Champion Edition and Hyper Fighting — as did the SNES release of Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting. The Mega Drive/Genesis version received the Special Champion Edition subtitle because it was intended to be a port of Street Fighter II: Champion Edition to be released in the fall of 1993, about one year after the SNES version of the original SF2.

The Mega Drive/Genesis was to be the only US console to receive a SF2 game that allowed people to play as the bosses, but 5 months before its release Nintendo announced an exclusive deal with Capcom to port the newer Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting to the SNES for release before the Mega Drive/Genesis version of the game. However, their contract only extended exclusivity to the name and presentation of the game, allowing Capcom to add Hyper Fighting mode to the Mega Drive/Genesis game as a bonus, giving both versions of the game the same features. The legacy of this contractual obligation is apparent in the games as the Mega Drive/Genesis version presents the Champion Edition intro, attract mode (only presenting Champion Edition gameplay and color scheme) and title screen and defaults to Champion Edition mode, while the SNES version contains the Hyper Fighting intro (though missing the fight in front of the skyscraper), attract mode (presenting Hyper Fighting gameplay and color scheme) and title screen and defaults to Turbo mode.

Street Fighter II′: Special Champion Edition for the Mega Drive/Genesis allowed the selection of game speed by increasing 'stars' at game start, up to 10-star speed (as opposed to an estimate 4-star speed that the original arcade featured. The SNES Version has the 4-10 option, but requires a controller code to activate Stars 5 to 10). The Mega Drive/Genesis port also allowed for four stars of speed in Normal/Champion mode, but the SNES version lacked this feature, allowing stars only in Turbo mode. Gameplay was faster than the arcade versions.

Though both versions of the game were identical in overall gameplay and graphics, the Sega versions suffered from degraded sound. The SNES sound chip was clearly superior, and offered better effects and music. So superior, it even mimicked the different tones of Ryu's voice using different levels of the Hadoken attack. His voice was quick and percise for the fierce attack, or slow and prolonged for the jab version. The Sega versions clearly had only one distorted version of the sound for each level of the attack.

Maybe I'll get the SNES one then. :)

EDIT

Damn, I want me one of them Hori pads, if you find one going on eBay or Play-Asia or anything, let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

texas baroodicut is what ryu says when hes doing his hurricane kick :P hes meant to be saying tatsumaki senpuu kyaku i think but it sounds like texas baroodicut in the SF2 games

i would say SSFII Turbo Revival on the GBA was my favourite of the lot to play. theres an annoying bug though, where just before M.Bison, if you have played without losing a round or something, you get to fight Akuma but the game just goes mental and the graphics start glitching :(