passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Paper Mario 64

Hendo

Well I fired it up finally and I'm very surprised.

I was expecting to be disappointed after the lush graphics of the Cube one, but this isn't as bad as I expected. Obviously it doesn't look as good, but it's just missing a few textures, nothing that's too shoddy.

So far I've had the opening story told, fought a few fights, got my first badge, found a hammer and got my first team-mate to join me.

It's at the simple stage but that's to be expected as it's so early on, but I think this is gonna be just as deep as the Cube version. Good times ahead. :)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say, I'm liking this as much as The Thousand Year Door. It's very similar, and seems just as deep.

As always, it's really funny, and a joy to play.

Currently heading to the Dry Dry Desert.

I'm on Chapter 2 now, and still can't stop playing.

It seems faster pace than the Thousand Year Door, but the gameplay is almost identical.

I have 4 side characters now, including a postman!.

i downloaded this a couple of hours ago, and its bloody brilliant. loved thousand year door, and id always wanted to go back and play this and the VC offered the perfect opportunity. at first i was worried theyd lost the battle action system, pressing a before attacks etc. but not long ago i got the lucky star and all is now well. the game looks fantastic considering, some of the enviroments are gorgeous. gameplay is prett much exactly the same as its sequel, which is a very good thing, and goddamn is it funny! a few comedy highlights so far include when merlow is rambling on about the good old days, and the teenage mutant ninja koopa bros calling people 'wimpolas' :D

bumpola. think im halfway through or so, not sure really. finished the ghost house, im doing as many subquests and as much treasure hunting as i can though.

*was* aiming to make a danger mario - y'know, the old favourite from Paper Mario on the GC, keep mario stuffed with badges that make him stronger and luckier to the point of a demi-god when low on HP, and then reduce his HP permanently to 5 so hes always DANGER MARIO - but i messed up and didnt send one of the required badges to mario through peach and that magic chest. i havent upgraded mario's HP once, so im still at 10. and i know that chet ripper will knock my HP down to 5 amongst other things in return for 39 coins, but some fights are starting to get risky (like ones with hyper goombas), with some hits taking 6 hp if i dont defend them properly.

so i might have to abandon my hunt for danger mario, just to progress properly. and i bet as soon as i do start changing tactics, i get another chance to send that badge :P

Never heard of that tactic!

Does it make any difference to how many star points you get after a match? Towards the end I was getting just one or two points per fight. :(

Mainly my tactic has been to level up each area in turn.

I only had to level grind really right at the end, so that was good.

Still, haven't got back to this one yet, I'm waiting till I finish the 3rd case of Phoenix and then I can jump in properly.

no i think only user level changes star points earned, in conjunction with type/level of enemy.

the danger mario i had on the GC version was unstoppable, the power bounce if pulled off with all correct action commands was - in damage per jump - around 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 or something similar, resulting in MASSIVE DAMAGE, basically.

im going to do the next dungeon (something to do with shy guys i think) and if i dont get the chance to send that badge to mario then im going to change tack..

I really feel im missing something when I read this thread.

I just cant put my finger on what doesnt quite sit with me when I play the Paper Mario games (and no Ben, its not cos they dont have achievements).

Dont get me wrong, i enjoyed TYD, i just didnt come away with the fresh taste of Mario cock in my mouth like everyone else seemed to do. I own Paper Mario on the 64 and twice ive gotten so far, twice failed to get anywhere further because I put the pad down, turn the console of and have zero want to play it again.

Thinking cap on then, and I suppose i could say its the turn based battles, can get a little dull. Maybe its the badges, i cant be bothered with them, this does that if this is like that. I dunno.

if you dont get on with the battle system is the paper mario games, that is really bad luck, they are fantastic games. sometimes it just doesnt all fall into place for a particular person though. i think we all have some such aversion, i never really get on with FF games, i really want to but alas, nay.

I totally agree with what you are saying topgun, illdog just doesnt posses the knowledge to play this kind of game, luckily though there are lots of colouring puzzles and that kind of thing.

TopGunKnacker wrote:

I think we all have some such aversion.

Yeah dont feel so bad about your self illdog, I often put my shoes on my hands.

Sweet Jesus!

On a lighter note, I'm now ready to get back into the game.

Also, it's funny that you get bored of the Mario RPG's (you're not a fan of the Mario & Luigi games either, are you?) as it's extremely rare for me to be interested in normal RPG's as I find them dull, tedious but mostly with very pretentious story lines/dialogue.

I don't know why I love the Mario & Luigi and Paper Mario games so much, it's not like I'm a Mario fanboy - I'm not that much of a fan of most Mario platformers or spin-offs (apart from a few exceptions, obviously).

I just really like the style and sense of humour.

It's bizarre as I'm no fan of turn-based games or battles, yet I can really dig into the fights in this.

illdog wrote:

sambobcock.JPG

can someone move this to mug for the camera, we need to run a caption comp on it or something!!

errr....yeah paper mario....rpg...good stuff *phew* glad i managed to make this post relevant to the topic...:whistle:

• 2 weeks later...

Neatly side-stepping the rather off-putting cock (but which one? ho ho) I've been playing this loads since last night.

I haven't played at all since I got through to the first save, as I wanted to spend my time focussing on this one game and not playing loads of others at the same time.

I'm now on Chapter 2, my party is getting bigger, my badge collection is becoming impressive and I'm deeply impressed with what the N64 is capable of here.

I was expecting a completely arsey-looking version of what I'm used to from the Cube one, but this really doesn't look that much worse. Not as detailed or as shiny, but very good all the same.

The only negative so far though, is I don't think it's as funny or has as much personality as the Cube one.

Other than the Ninja Turtles reference I haven't seen much yet that's been as charming as the Thousand Year Door.

Don't get me wrong, it's still just as good, gameplay-wise, but I'd certainly recommend that one over this first. If, of course, you can find the Cube one as easily as downloading this. :P