passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat

Hendo

I was sure there was already a thread on this, but it seems not.

As I'm sure illdog will agree (great thanks to him for recommending this) this is one of the most criminally over-looked games of the Cube's lifetime (possibly even the last generation).

I got it with some bongos the other week but have only just fired it up and been playing for a good hour or two and loving it.

Basically, it's a platformer but you use the bongos to control DK. It sounds bizarre but it actualy works pretty well, and without the bongos I'd imagine it wouldn't take much to see it as a new chapter in the DK Country series.

The only problem I have with it is that it doesn't seem to have anything to do with rhythm - it's just a standard platformer that they've tacked on bongo controls. This isn't such a bad thing but it does make me wonder whether I should lose the bongos and play with a pad instead.

You tap the left bongo to go left, right to go right, both together to jump and clap to do a special move (collect many bananas, knock out enemies, etc).

I'm on the third set of levels now and doing pretty well, most levels I've got silver status on, which ain't bad.

Oh, graphically it's gorgeous - exactly what you'd expect of a new DK platformer.

Here's a gameplay clip for those who haven't seen it at all.

I heartily recommend it so far, but my poor hands are fucked after clapping all the time. :(

Are you thinking of the Donkey Konga games, hinn?

This one is no music game - pure platformer, but you happen to control it with bongos. Weird.

But I've finished the main game - got at least silver ranking on all of the levels so far, with a couple of golds.

It's fairly short I suppose, but one hell of a laugh. I really can't recommend this one enough!

It's absolutely criminal that this has been over-looked by so many as large portions of the game are platform bliss!

Ed in particular and James I think would love this game.

My favourite bits are when you ride on what I think is a wildebeast (or something similar).

Seriously, I'm so glad I bought this. Haven't tried it with the normal pad yet, but I can't say it would make much difference.

Hendo wrote:

It's absolutely criminal that this has been over-looked by so many as large portions of the game are platform bliss!

Ed in particular and James I think would love this game.

I don't like the bongo's. :huh:

If you use a pad, is it just the L and R buttons that you use, or is it proper platform style?

According to the manual, it looks like this is right up your street.

Compare the control methods....

Walk left (left bongo)

Walk right (right bongo)

Jump (both bongos together)

Special move (clap hands)

Walk left and right (control stick)

Jump (A button)

Special move (C-stick - any direction)

Looks like it's actually well more suited to being played with a pad.

Now I've tried it with the bongos I might have to ditch them for the pad for the last bits.

Yea, this games all that and a bag of chicken, nice one Hendo, you were correct to buy and play.

I couldnt imagine playing this game with a pad, it would be like playing Guitar Hero with an orange. This is one of those few games that had me glued to the telly for a very sweaty four or five hours, im tellin you its as good a workout as it is a game.

I found the controls very intuative and after a while i was racking up some decent scores despite some very sore palms. But that wasnt from the bongo's......FNAR.

Im right at the very last bonus level and i havent touched it in a while, but Hendo's impending completions has surged fresh testosterone through my body and i am again ready to win.

Buy this game, the Jap version is as cheap as Sams mums perfume HERE. Its 3 fucking pounds and 53 pence plus a quid delivery charge! Fuck a duck! Oh, and its perfectly playable in Japanese, my copy is of oriental origin and I had no problem.

illdog wrote:

Buy this game, the Jap version is as cheap as Sams mums perfume HERE. Its 3 fucking pounds and 53 pence plus a quid delivery charge! Fuck a duck! Oh, and its perfectly playable in Japanese, my copy is of oriental origin and I had no problem.

Well i just ordered it couldnt resist at that price will update with my opinions when it arrives Nice one ill

• 2 weeks later...

I have just ordered this, too! For a fiver delivered it would be rude not to. I was about to order a PAL set with the bongo's on eBay for £16, then remembered this thread. Awesome. :)

Edit: Just found THIS. So I'll need another memory card to save JPN games, and the one I have now for US/PAL? I was going to order another anyway, may get a couple on the cheap...

I don't know mate, I've heard conflicting stories. Anyway, I've just ordered an Official 251 block card from Play Asia, as I only have a 59'er at the mo. If they work fine together on the one card, I'll just use the 251, if not I'll be using a mixture of the two. :)

Same here. I've had 2 different types of card (neither official) and both work fine when sharing multi region games. There are some import games that wont save on a pal GC though, The original Donky Kong was one, Mr Driller and Warioware are the others i can think of

I've just started playing this and i'm absolutely loving it. It's got that strange and rare mix where it's a piece of piss, but you can still see how far away you are from mastering it.

I'm a bit worried about turning it off after Ed said he was having troubles saving, in the shoutbox. But coupled with this warm weather, the bongo beating isnt half making me sweat.

I think I'm doing it differently from you lot too, I tend to hit the bongos with my fingers stiff rather than with the palms of my hands. I just treat them as giant buttons, which I suppose them are. I think if they worked as actual bongos it's be different