passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Sonic and the Secret Rings

DANGERMAN

I had a quick read of Ben's blog about this and stuff that relates to "The Wii is too casual! That game isn't casual enough!" and I have to agree.

Clicky

Though I'm guilty of slagging this one off for the stuff they throw at you, it's more that it was billed as one thing but we actually got something else.

On the whole it's a good game, sometimes even great, just a little disappointing that I didn't get what I wanted out of it, which is an all-thrills-no-thought kind of thing.

In the end, you have to commend Sonic Team for having the balls to try something different, and it largely works.

It's not gonna be in anyone's Top 10 Wii games by the end of the year (I'd guess) but it's certaintly not one to overlook.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What an awesome Sunday I'm having - can't finish Ghouls 'n' Ghosts, SSX is making me want to throw my controller at the TV (again), and now I'm stuck on a seemingly simple move on Sonic.

It's the one where you have to defeat 3 enemies by using the slide attack.

I don't know how many times I've heard the woman say "Hold down 2 to slide" but it's making me crazy.

I can slide under the enemies but how do you use that move to kill them?!

I'm pretty sure I have, and I've got as far as killing the first guy with the move but when you get to the spike things I can't get any further.

It's like my perception of where I am and where I really am is all wrong - I either let go of 2 too late or too early.

Just got the proper ending myself, the last boss is knackering. It takes a few attempts too, but I suppose that's why me and illdog are TRUE HEROES. The CGI at the end is really well done (with the Japanese voice cast) and dare I say it, Sonic is actually quite cool, like the old days.

I think this is a game I'm going to keep coming back to from time to time, cant be arsed to sit and get everything just for the sake of it

illdog wrote:

I was having the same trouble Uncie H and my problem was indeed that i hadnt equiped the skill that raises your attack power when sliding. After that I did it first time.

I'm pretty sure I did, but no doubt it's me being a spack and I actually didn't.

I'll take a look later.

Incidentally, I carried on through the game regardless anyway and was really enjoying it again until I got to a level where you have to not get hit and I got frustrated again.

:(

Ben wrote:

Just got the proper ending myself, the last boss is knackering.

Im glad it wasnt just me, I was fucked afterwards!

Ben wrote:

It takes a few attempts too, but I suppose that's why me and illdog are TRUE HEROES

*high five*

• 3 weeks later...

Having given it another chance this weekend, I got past the level I was stuck on (it was a "don't die" challenge) and turned on one of the abilities that makes you go on fire when you slide, so I did that other level I was stuck on too.

Now though, I'm stuck on a boss. You have to pull out his horns, but I can get one out by moving the wiimote forward and back, but I can't get the rest out by doing the same or moving it up and down instead. Am I doing something wrong or do the others take more of an effort?

£30 or £20 is a great price - to be honest, provided you can get past some of the more frustrating levels it is indeed a great game and one of the best looking Wii games with very well implemented controls.

But for most of the first few levels you may hate it - like ill said on the world famous *cough* DS-WiiFi podcast 2, you just have to give the game some time.

So, I've spent the best part of the day on this and now I am (pretty much) done. I've completed it to the point of the credits but obviously there's a lot more to come.

If nothing else, this has to go down as one of the best looking Wii games the system has. You get so used to the cartoon strip style story scenes that when they throw you some CG cut scenes they look amazing. There's one near the end that caused my mouth to open, which doesn't happen much these days - cynical bastard that I am.

Like ill said on the podcast, you need to give it time and it soon opens up to be the great game you wanted it to be.

It's not so much "Sonic's comeback" as "Sonic's dramatic turnaround" as it does things in a pretty original way, while keeping the old school Sonic's heart beating in the background.

It's very good and anyone that is umming and arring over it (especially those daft bastards that say "there's no proper games on the Wii") should definately pick it up, maybe not for 40 notes but 20 quid and it'd be a deal.

Ha! No, though I could aim it at you if you wanted?

;)

It's more aimed at the journalists (not to mention angry villagers with pitchforks masquerading as forumites from other forums) who have played most of the Wii games and claim they're all mini-games or ports.

That's true to some degree, but it does kind of disregard a good few of the Wii's games. Not a perfect machine by any stretch, but there does seem to be a feeling that there's nothing on the Wii.

I know this is entirely off-topic now (and I'm slapping my own wrists for it), but I set up my PS2 yesterday with some awesome triple A titles to play on it, but after 10 minutes of Guitar Hero II and 10 minutes of SotC, I turned it off because all I wanted to do was play Sonic.

Go figure.

Well, that wasn't quite what I was getting at, but to borrow that phrase, it's true that the angrier, more disappointed people are shouting about the Wii louder, and the ones that are shrugging their shoulders and just enjoying what they're playing are much quieter.

Apart from me, obviously.

There's a massive weight of expectation with this system, and it's not for everyone (nor I would argue is it meant to be someone's main console) but I'm enjoying what I'm playing and that's the main thing. Anyway, should anyone disagree, start a new thread as I'm being a bad boy here sending this off-topic.

Back to the plan, Sonic is a very good, enjoyable game with some great graphics, shit controls (to start with), good controls (in the middle) and great controls (at the end). It's also pretty unique, and kudos to Sonic Team for being brave enough to try something new.

It wasn't what I wanted, but it's a good game.

Oh, and the last world is absolutely stunning.

I started this eariler, and have to say, I'm having a great time with it!

The controls took a little getting used to, but nothing too bad. It took me ages to work out why I couldn't mini-turbo at the start, then I realised I hadn't equipped any of my skills.

I've done the first Boss at Sand Oasis, and am now moving on to Dinosaur Jungle. The boss was pretty decent. I've got the hang of the controls pretty well, and I'm enjoying the game a lot. I love the fact that the levels are pretty short, and that you can go back to it, trying to perfect the level. The graphics are outstanding, the best I've seen so far on the Wii. The opening movie looks pure class.

I've got subtitles on with Japanese voices, I don't think I could bear listening to the English voice acting. Seven rings in hand...la la la etc

But yeah, a very good game based on the little I've seen so far.

RetroEd wrote:

The controls took a little getting used to, but nothing too bad. It took me ages to work out why I couldn't mini-turbo at the start, then I realised I hadn't equipped any of my skills.

I did exactly the same, I was swearing and cursing the game for a couple of hours before I noticed