passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Starfox Command

retroed

So far I have only done the four training missions, so that is all these impressions are based on at the moment.

Well, the presentation is top notch. Great use of sound, harks back to the SNES/N64 days. I'm loving the use of gibberish talkâ„¢. The control system is intuitive. It does take a few minutes to get used to the controls, barrel rolls, loop the loop etc, but having finished the training missions, I now feel confident enough to tackle the single player challenges. I'm finding that using the D-Pad for fire is the best for me.

In game graphics are pretty decent, looks nice and smooth in motion.

I'm really looking forward to having some WFC matches with you guys. :)

Sounds good so far...tell us about the missions once you reach them. I'm curious about how the strategy (?) sections work. And can you record your own voice that gets turned into gibberish talkâ„¢ too?

Man the dogfights on this one are going to be sweet...if we ever get our copies!

I have finished the first two missions now.

The first mission was standard ease-you-in fare, drawing a path to the enemy, then entering a dogfight with them to take them down. There were three of these in the first mission.

The second mission involved slightly more use of strategy, nothing major so far, though. I had to draw my path using the stylus to collect missiles on the map. This sent the missiles to the big ship that the enemies were headed to. I then had to slide the stylus to the enemy ships on the map to destroy them with the missiles. There was one dogfight in this mission, all the others were destroyed on the map.

If the enemy gets to the big ship, the mission is over, so you need to plan your path.

Slippy is onside now, too! :)

Ive done the first mission myself, after the training missions of course.

Excellent so far, feels natural as pie on the old touch screen. Not sure if i regret my desicion to invert the controls yet, but it is usually standard fare to have down as up and up as down, but my brain seem s to be battling my hands at the moment.

Its also to early for me to decide wether the tactical insertion before battle is a delightful charm or an irritation as of yet, hoping the former.

Yea James, you can record your own voice to come out as animal gibberish, its fucking hilarious.

I got in a right shit with this yesterday, but after i completed what i was stuck on and calmed down i appreciated how awsome this game is. Shant say too much as people will discover for themselves.

Oh, and ive decided i like the tactical element, some ideas are a blatent rip from Advance Wars (fog hiding enemies anyone?) but its somethnig else to think about.

Sooooo.

Here's my first impressions.

Single player - did the first load (only?) of training, before which I recorded my comedy voice. Really liking it but still not sure which control method is best.

Multi - had a quick blast of single download play with Dead Rabbit and twas ace fun! If you get the plasma weapon, your opponent is as good as dead! And the stealth pick up is mighty useful too.

DR picked up on something that bugged him though, and in case he doesn't read this I'd better put forward his opinion.

Why couldn't they give you the choice of controlling it with d-pad and all buttons? Surely it would still work? I like the control method, but I agree that not having the option sucks.

Overall, I'm well enjoying this though!

Not sure what mission i'm up to now, but i have Falco, Peppy's daughter and just ran into Fox's ex bird. Loving it so far, using the "up is up" control method as it seems to make more sense on a touch screen. Think i'm ranked X or Y online.

Im loving it but also finding it bloody frustrating, i seem to be being hit by things i cant see most of the time, now i tend to barrell roll almost constantly.

I aslo find the time limit frustrating and a little unecassary.

Oh, and i too have reverted to up is up and down is down. Seems to be easier when your chasing something, i automatically point toward the object im trying to gun down..

Hate to say it and im so sad to but played a couple of games online and the first mission and am really not enjoying this why god why isnt there a way of controlling it without the stylus it just feels wrong i want the combos to do the filps and spins not pressing touch screen buttons.

Played a little more now and am really beginning to hate the controls with a passion :unsure:

Also that picking up the star thing is bent why isnt a kill enough to give you points so many people in my first online games abused that feature

Well im starting to slowly get round the controls though they still irritate me and the talking thing makes everyone sound pissed off lol i stand by my comment on the multi player star thing still bent

Like illdog said, I’m also finding it hard to see what I’m supposed to be shooting at, especially since your ships seems to take up quite a large chuck of the screen. Most battles consist of me heading towards the general direction of the enemy whilst barrel rolling like a mad man and firing off as many shots as I can before I go down in a ball of flame. There’s no skill or manoeuvring, just button/stylus mashing most of the time and don’t even get me started on the missile chases. Shooting AND flying through the targets comes down to being in the right place at the right time since making calculated decisions is quite difficult because of the sight problem.

And the time limits? Ok for now and again but every damn mission? Sucks! However things do get easier towards the end of the game. With all the shots being fired, barrel rolling through them for a few seconds will net you almost half a minuet in fuel, very handy if you want to play around the stage for a little.