passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Densha de Go!! Hashirou Yamanote-sen (Lets Go by Train!)

spatular

Its a game where you drive a train. Got this recently on switch, was previously sort of interested in trying the ps4 version, which supports VR so thats cool, but didnt get round to it. And sort of though i might find playing it really boring. Not really sure where my interest in this came from, saw some youtube videos on it and wanted to try it.

have been enjoying it, its not the most amazingly exciting thing ever, struggle to explain why im enjoying it but think it helps that its something a bit different and new, to me anyway - thats what i was thinking after the first few missions. Later i got to the 3rd set of missions which are much more involved, with more speed check areas where they try and catch you out like by putting a high speed limit check just before a stop or reduced speed limit, its much more action packed, been really enjoying this set of missions.

the main thing to do in the game is stop at the right position at the next station, this is worth the most points etc, and im rubbish at it. But im quite good at doing the extra stuff like arriving on time, dimming lights for other trains, and beeping and pointing at all sorts of stuff. Theres a point button. As in finger pointing. Apparently train drivers are supposed to point at things (and say a catchphrase) to keep them more engaged and stop them from falling asleep or something.

i think it helps that this is more arcady than a full on train sim, and the line choice of the tokyo ring road (yamanote line) so has loads of stops and scenery and stuff to do. There never seems to be more than 2 mins between stops.

anyone else played one of these? 

i could find a useful video explaining it better or something but heres this instead

I used to have densha de go final on ps2 back in the day. Did pick up the ps4 title a couple of years back but never really sat and got into it as much, think i was disapointed by lack of different station jingles 😆

• 2 weeks later...

Ive been playing this quite a lot, sort of completed the main game, well seen the credits, but theres loads of stuff to do still, lots more side missions and arcade mode.

tried some of the older games on ps2, one i tried you control train type stuff like trams and have to stop at traffic lights and people cross in front of you, i struggled with this one, wasnt sure where i was supposed to stop or what was going on but only had a quick go mind. Also tried final which made more sense as it was more similar to the modern one, but only had a quick go.

• 4 weeks later...

got a train controller thing for this, the controller is nice, well made, like an arcade stick but for controlling trains. then as i had the controller some other games on switch support it so got one of those too (real pro nagoya version or something like that), and while it looks nice as its a like a video recording you control, its a bit boring compared to the densha de go one. Also played final some more, dont think it has the pointing, but it does have the speed challenges and blowing the horn at stuff, so its more interesting than that other switch one. I think the first one i got is still the best one ive played though.

oh and tried the one on gamepass but the first thing you do is walk around a car park fps style so quit that, didnt get to the train driving.

@spatularon Fallout 3 Bethesda couldn't get the trains to work, it was too complicated with their physics engine and wonky geometry. So the way they solved it was to have the trains be a hat that an NPC wore while walking underground.

If that car park walking section was a guy with a massive train hat would you have enjoyed it more?