passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Pikmin 4

spatular

Been playing some pikmin. Its good!

pikmin is a bit like what if nintendo made an rts game.

its so long since pikmin 3 i cant remember it too well so its hard to compare this to previous games, but it seems a bit easier and more relaxing, so its good but in a different way. people might like it more but for me I think pikmin is best when theres some time pressure or a bit more difficulty - there are some missions like this - the dandori battles which are fake 2 player where you battle against the AI to collect more stuff/points, and a timetrial mode - these are ace, but so far there arent that many of them and you can replay them but not untill youve unlocked more stuff. And i guess there is the day limit so you can try and get as much done in a day as possible if you want.

i think/hope there is going to be more difficult stuff to come at the end of the game/ post game stuff (iirc 3 had great post game stuff). As so far im enjoying it, its a fun game but initially not living up to the awesome to the max previous pikmin games so far. Think im on day 23. Got 100% on first 2 areas.

the dog is new and is a good solution for how to move the pikmin around in a less cumbersome way. 

the graphics are really nice.

loading times for the overworld can be pretty slow. Loading the dungeon type bits are not as slow.

I like the story even though its stupid and not really an important part of the game

Spoiler

Olimar crashes on the planet and gets stranded (plot from the first game) the rescue squad go to save him, they also get stranded, then you as the rescue squad trainee has to go and rescue the rescue squad. There are also loads of other people that need rescuing like a school trip and a hairdresser which i thought was funny.

“Completed” it on day 29, 17 hours, loads left to do and finishing it unlocks more stuff too including a mode that seems more like the first game. The ending is 

Spoiler

Sort of a fake out ending so theres a new levels(s?) and story stuff still to do too.

I’m slowly progressing through this myself. When the days end its like when you’re a child on school summer break and your mom calls you to come back in as it’s going dark. Very disappointing because it’s so nice to be out exploring and keep finding something new to do or find a way too. Then the whistle sounds and it’s like awwwwe mmmmoooommm! 😢 

I am also quietly progressing. I'm on day 20.

It's nice not to have the crazy rush at the end of the day, although the countdown still makes me panic somehow.

I found it tricky to get new Pikmin types, but I'm getting there.

I don't think any of the RPG stuff is needed but I also don't dislike it. It just slows down the overall experience.

I'd give it a really solid score and I'm sure I will play through it again one day!

day 50, 40 hours, still stranded, well have finished it

Spoiler

twice, although there's 2 fake endings really

100% on all(?) the areas, did the bonus mini story game thing, still loads of stuff to do - the tower defense stuff, getting better scores on the timetrial and battles, and there's another challenge/timetrial mode thing to do too.

the only bad bit has been one item to collect needed 

Spoiler

100 purple guys

which was a bit boring to get them.

and i don't like how you can't replay battles/timetrials straight away.

the rest has been really good imo, i think it gets better after the credits. more different modes and stuff to do than previous games but maybe not as focused/streamlined, maybe a bit too drawn out although i am still enjoying it. i don't like the tower defense mode as much as the rest of it but it's still pretty fun.

yeah the rpg stuff is fine, not too intrusive, but it does mean stuff like the timetrials etc are easier if you do them at the end and have all the moves and stuff.

I think this game just keeps getting better, going back to get better times on the timetrials and doing the last 10 bonus challenge levels was a lot of fun. And if id done that before the one bit i didnt like about the game would have been a lot easier as you get a 

Spoiler

Purple onion for doing the last challenge level

finished everything in this the other day, still could go back and get better scores on the battles and the last set of challenge levels but some of those were hard enough to just finish so think i'm done with it for now, overall was really great, took just under 50 hours which seems a lot longer than previous pikmin games, although i can't really remember how long 2 and 3 are, 1 i think is quite a short game. i think the short game works well for pikmin so sort of surprised how well it does for 50 hours, think it works out well because the less amazing stuff is nearer the beginning and as it goes on it gets better and better imo.