passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Splatoon 3

HandsomeDead

So I've been playing the game that is, like many aging hair metal bands, is big in Japan (that 40 year old Spinal Tap joke is how I'm starting my impressions to this genuinely cool game).  The only game played there now it seems.

I'm probably not going to go on about the specifics of the game because you can just check the thread for the previous game but I'll just say what I've been up to.

As a Splatoon Professional I've beelined right to the cool stuff and stayed there for now.  That is 'Anarchy Mode (previously 'Ranked Matches')' and 'Salmon Run'.

Since I have a Splatoon 2 save I was given three golden tickets which allowed me to buy weapons freely that are usually soft locked behind a level cap, the weapons I know I like which I know fit my play style for the Anarchy Matches.  You see most will play the Turf War mode (the basic whoever makes the most mess wins mode) but as a Professional that mode holds little interest to me and I like the objective based modes in Anarchy Mode.  One of the is Splat Zones which is basically King of the Hill; you have to keep a certain part of the map in the middle covered in your ink for a set amount of time so in this mode the fight is more concentrated and I like to use the GAL 96, a long ranged weapon that fires slowly with an ink sprinkler as a sub-weapon... well, I used to but it hasn't been working for me this time.  I've found more success with the gatling gun class so I can just hang back and provide support more efficiently but maybe I'm still fucked if I get jumped by someone with a better short ranged weapon but as long as I'm smart we win.

I do find these modes make use of the alternative weapons so much more.  Playing Turf War just use the weapon best at coverage and that's it.

You also have Tower Control; there is a small tower on the map that moves towards the enemies side of the map when you stand on it and once it gets to the end you won.  I like to use a long ranged kind-of-grenade launcher for this, I forget it's name.  it just means with good positioning I can easily eliminate those trying to ride the tower, but again, it's slow firing and bad at short range.  It means I do have to rely on my team a lot, I gotta hope we have like a "sweeper" who keeps flankers off my back, because man, do some people just like using the brush class and ruining my day.  This is a factor if we win or lose.  Take up a role if you're playing this mode.

There is also Rainmaker; there is a powerful weapon (but again, bad at short range) that has to be captured and taken into various points on the enemies side of the map.  I tend to play this one a bit basic and use a slightly longer range version of the Duelies, a weapon I do tend to use for Turf War if I do play that mode.  OK coverage and pretty good at killing and I like the quick step you can do: it confuses the idiots, but also sometimes messes me up, but I'm getting better at it again.  They were introduced in S2 and they quickly became my old faithful.

Finally there is Clam Blitz; it's a mode that was introduced post release in S2 so I hve the least experience with it.  I remember being okay at it but this is the mode I'm struggling with.  You collect clams spread around the map, get ten and they turn into an American football(🤷‍♂️) and with that you can break a barrier over a goal on your foes side of the map, and while the barrier is gone you can throw in individual clams.  I suck at it and just take my Duelies and kill the enemy and hope my teammates know what they're doing.

To be honest it still feels kinda unfamiliar because while the primary weapons all feel the same they're altered the sub-weapons and you special abilities you get after covering so much ground, those especially have been completely changed from the previous games so the dynamic and strats in these modes take some adjustment., I've found at least.

But there is also Salmon Run; this is the horde mode with a bunch of boss enemies that drop collectables you have to take to a point to score while adds ruin your day.  The more you rank up the more intense it gets and I think I've just got to the point it's interesting to play.  I think it's harder than before since I remember being maxed out before and having less problems than now but I've still got some ways to go.  A little change they've made is you can throw the collectable so you can pass it up to other players and that's useful at times and they've added some scenarios where you have to do it to be optimal.  There's also a thing where the more you play the mode you make a giant salmon angry so a big salmon will turn up at the end and you have to throw the collectable at it to do damage, so you're dealing with this big mf'er stomping around while loads of boss enemies come, kill them, get collectibles and throw them at the big salmon.  It gets intense.  I've tried it twice and not killed it yet (definitely let down by my team the second smh).

I've not tried the SP, I'm not super into it from the previous games (the last boss always rules tho) but I'll try it eventually.  One of you's will have to say how that is.

The SP is ace!!! Deffo worth the time 😀

I've not played much of Anarchy, although it seems the same as Splatoon 2. In 3 I've only played Tower Control and it seemed identical, although the levels are mainly new.

Rainmaker confused the shit out of me initially. I had to watch a few videos on YouTube to figure out how to 'dunk' the shells. It's really great once you know what's happening, total chaos and huge amounts of fun.

I have never tried Salmon Run, it was always at stupid times that I wasn't free. At least now I stand a chance. Do you just hop into it with anyone?

I'll have to add you @HandsomeDead 👍

Nice! Splatoon!

i think im already friends with you guys on switch but will check.

ive done the exact opposite to HD and played 3 turf war games which, not being a pro, i really enjoyed :D 

but then just stuck with single player, finished it last night, really enjoyed it overall. Theres loads of variety in there and loads of levels, although mostly quite short, most levels are good fun but not everything is a hit, theres some awesome levels, and boss fights too. Enjoyed exploring the hub world too. There are some annoying bits, a few levels i just didnt like. And sometimes stuff isnt explained too well, like one level you have to use a bow but it doesnt explain 

Spoiler

If you dont hit a target and charge it enough it leaves explosives which blow up more targets

even knowing that it was still probably the hardest level, its a really good level though, finally finishing it was great. And the last boss, which was pretty awesome, but i did prefer 2 earlier boss fights, i had to look up some controls because it doesnt tell you how to operate the 

Spoiler

Spaceship - you need to move it forward with one of the sticks, which was not at all clear to me.

looking forward to playing some multiplayer/salmon run but not sure i will play loads as none of the guys i usually play online with have it :( will try and join you guys if thats ok?

the graphics and music are also ace.

Totally happy to play online, just join if you see me there :)
Ping me in Discord too if you want to change games?

I also tend to just hit Turf Wars, it seems to be endlessly fun. I don't get bored of it, I just stop to sleep 😁

You guys are never online.  Not when I play at least.  I feel shunned 😐

I've been continuing with Anarchy Mode and having some progress I suppose.  If you played S2 they ranked you up.  I dunno if it was a save alone or they actually read your previous rank and figured out from there, but I started S3 at a B- rank.  I'm pretty sure from previous games the starting point is C- so that's not much of a jump but whatever.

I've worked my way up to A- so far but it has been a bit of a fight.  I have a solid strat for Splat Zones, I'm very consistent in that mode; always a top player.  I'm not as good at Tower Control I remember being; my old strats just don't work, I don't know why I just now have a hard time on that mode now, even though it's an old one from the OG.  When I figure it out I'll say but I just suck at it now, mostly.  I've tried learning a new weapon; one of the bows that is a new weapon type for this game and it is a pain in the arse to use but it has awesome ink coverage, and the more you spread ink the faster your special ability charges up, and this weapon has the Tenta Missiles so I can quickly fill that up and use it to get kills, or at least get my opponents moving (it's very useful on the objective based modes).

Jut don't ask me to get kills with the bow itself.  I've used it a while now, there are lots of nuances with how it works that maybe aren't worth going into unless someone askes, but it's hard to use.  I only use it because of it's special ability and how good it is at coverage so that fills that ability charge up.  There is a simpler bucket weapon that also has the Tenta Missiles as a special but I would rather die than use it.  I'm a gamer, and that weapon is disgusting.  You can use it if you want, but I will judge you negatively.

Bucket users are degenerates who hate video games.  Judge them harshly.  (for the record, this isn't gatekeeping.  A noob will stick to the simple guns, maybe go to the roller, but only the worst decide to go to the bucket),

I think It's Splatfest this weekend, get your team picked.  On a desert island do you want gear, grub or fun.  I'm team grub because it's also fun; two for one.  The smart, good players will feel the same I'm sure.

yeah i'm sorry i've barely played this since finishing single player, i feel like i'll bring the team down if i joined anyone at the moment, i need to get a few games in every day or something to get some practice, maybe the splatfest will be good motivation to get back to it.

• 2 weeks later...

I had my first Splatoon 3 game with a 'friend' yesterday, woohoo! But then I had to turn it off for a bit :S
@HandsomeDead we both seem to be online at the same times but you are very often in games I can't connect to. We need a group to ping everyone 'in-real' I think!
If you join the Discord group, we could use the 'online' group within Gaming maybe?

During Splatfest I tried to join a few times but it didn't work for me either.  I think if you're already in a team it's hard to join.

But I suppose I could install Discord again and try to coordinate something.

The networking has been a bit off lately with getting kicked out of games.  I hope there is a fix soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

not really enjoying the dlc, the harder missions can be sort of fun but i keep dying on them and having to go right back to the start. i'll keep trying it a bit more i think see if i get into it but yeah initial impressions are it's not for me. i'm not really into rogue like stuff but did like the returnal dlc which is sort of similar.

played some more and finished it and enjoyed it a bit more, glad to finish it and it didn't take too long, maybe got a lucky run through. but yeah still don't think id recommend it for someone like me who's not keen on rogue like stuff.