passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Guilty Gear -Strive-

HandsomeDead

10 minutes ago, Maf said:

t’s a move that is like a “get off me” move. It’s invincible on start up so while someone is hitting you, you turn invincible for the start of the move, their attack goes through you and then you hit them and get them off you.

That's not how it's supposed to be used though, it's usually a dedicated anti-air attack. Some games don't give them proper invincibility for that reason but just make them strong against jumping attacks by for example lowering your hurtbox or giving it higher priority. I think in Strive you can actually use a normal throw against DPs because they're not throw invincible for example, so you really should use them the way they were intended.

If by meady you mean meaty it's basically just an attack that connects on the frame the opponent is getting up or recovering from an air reset etc. I don't know about Strive but in SF you can time them so that the last active frame of your attack connects which gives you more frame advantage on hit and block than if you had used it on a standing opponent. A move that is usually +2 on block and has 3 active frames can be turned into +5 that way, for example.

7 minutes ago, HandsomeDead said:

I've never been consistent enough to use a DP as an anti-air. I definitely use it more for countering pressure if it has invincible start-up ?

lol. How? Do you have good reactions, do you know adapt to block strings and get the opening? Or you spam? What do you do

If you're good enough you can recognise fake blockstrings with gaps and then go through those, but that demands a lot of character knowledge of the game in question and good reactions to get the DP motion out in time.

As cool as the game is I think the online is just going to grind away at me, it is very buggy and will sometimes disengage your connection entirely and refuse to connect you to games. Making you log out or in some cases alt-f4 (ive heard it might be buggier on PC) and wait ages to get back on. Or it does this thing where you want to go into the training mode and it says 'maximum fights queued for or something' which is what? But if you spam it 4 or 5 times you get on anyway, I dunno there's got to be a way to have the client (the game) just poll the server status and check when a spot is free than doing it like that. Armchair toxic dev and all but still I think that should be expected

That's on top of the viewpoint that I've seen elsewhere which I've also mentioned that the game does a terrible job of gauging your skill when you start playing. Maybe this is better than other ranking systems in other games, I literally don't know. But I think the noob perspective here is important cause if you've been playing these games for years you might not get how bad it can be. But the game sucks when you start playing cause it thinks you're better than you are and anecdotally I've talked to a few people with this exact same issue. Now when you get going and the game figures out how good you are you definitely get in a very moresome groove when you want to keep playing and improving. But you are forced to fight on floors 6, 5 and 4 for ages before the game figures it out. All of that is compounded by how dumb the lobby system UI is in general, is this a fighting game thing where they have to do a weird gimmick? Because I think chasing that gimmick and probably compounded by COVID development hardships contributed to how buggy and slow the online lobby system really is and will prob be instrumental in the reason I drop the game. Because there is just so much awful downtime with starting the game up again when it d/cs you which makes it a lot of hassle, also you have to login even to just do offline labbing. It's very poorly considered, again full respect to the challenge of making a game like this in times like this but objectively it's full of very bad UI decisions like this.

Which sucks, cause actually the game is great underneath the awful design decisions they made here. I don't play fighting games so I can't compare it and say it's peerless or anything, I've heard actually the GG hardcore consider this a baby game for casuals, but I'm a casual baby so that suits me. It's also probably really good if you have a good community of friends to play with on the regular, especially offline at tournaments. But we don't all have that, so we have to deal with this fairly laughable system for matching people.

The console version is good. When you first log in there’s like a 1min waiting time while it connects to a server, and I’ve had some buggy things where it kicked me out of the training room when waiting for a match. In general it seems fine, though. I’ve only had one bad fight so far where the connection was trash and I bailed after 1 set.

I can’t really say how lobby and matchmaking systems should work either but just hanging out in training while waiting for a match is exactly how DBFZ works as well. Dragon Ball was also good at matchmaking. Simply you get points for winning or deducted points for losing and it finds someone close in points and makes you fight. 

Obviously points don’t denote skill level but generally I think it works quite well.

All of the online stuff on GG is a bit weird but at the end of the day sitting in training waiting for a challenger seems pretty standard. I like the floor system in theory, it just needs to be smarter at working out what floor someone should be on. 

It must be a PC thing then cause I've only had 2 matches the past hour, I've been having to constantly jump back in over and over. As I type this it just got back in again. I would be fine with hanging out in training for matches, that's what I have been doing. But the game either silently drops the connection or just kicks me straight up into a locked up version of the sprite lobby where none of the buttons work.

There's a thread here at least which suggests my experience isn't that unusual, but I guess it could be a PC thing. But as someone who's largely just playing for the online and only occasionally labs and never does any of the SP stuff it is very apparent that something is wrong. 

edit this post right here describes the same isse: https://www.reddit.com/r/Guiltygear/comments/o8nz2b/this_game_is_dysfunctional_and_needs_to_be_fixed/h366ixr?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

(edited to just include a normal link, not the giant reddit embed thing)

@HandsomeDead you’re playing on PS4. Upload a set shows us what it’s supposed to look like. 

In the meantime this is what a good Millia looks like ?

Isn’t it cool. I want to learn how to mix people. I bet if you get good at mix you immediately put yourself above a lot of floor 5 players. 

@Maf looks it's Bayonetta 3

(hd version takes a while to process)

I only won one 1 set, but I'm pretty happy enough with that considering they've played the character more. I struggle with the super execution still with this character but at least from this fight I learned that the super grab has insane range in its projectile form, noted. Ow, but noted.

This character is so hard to play. So many small windows to execute stuff during her air dashes and ways to modify stuff. I will need to give my brain a bit of a break and skip online for a few nights and do something more casual with the game. Maybe try and make up a combo that I will never actually do in a real match, just to get more comfortable with the way things come out and their timings.

@Maf okay here's two sets.

Spoiler

I play like utter garbage at a few points.

I think I'll also be retiring Gio.  She's pretty limited and that's fine for a more beginner character but I'm at the point I want more options.  I can win quite a bit with her now but that's only because no-one blocks or tries to challenge moves that are plus on block.  People still try to challenge Gio's drill kick.  Don't.  Just don't.

I've messed with Leo a bit and watched Max use him.  I think I can do that nonsense, if much worse version of it.  Good enough to keep me on floor 8 at least (I've only got there once and was swiftly booted out).

Lol everyone can do the mid-air super. How do your brains process that quick that ah. Now is the time for the super. You have to be in the air, realise they’re open, and then do double quarter circle. Damn, man.

Handsomedead give Millia a go. See what you think. Then pass that thinking on to me ?

EDIT: Not to keep spamming videos but my man Doto got into heaven

I mean it's not a step by step thing like that, you use the air super if you detect an opening, that's one decision. There's no setup there. It's actually a very spam friendly movement with not much precise timing

Now the ground super? That causes me a struggle. I have to do a bit of a one two combo and then frantically twist the stick around like I'm trying to rip it out, then maybe it will work sometimes (but it usually gets blocked because I'm too slow)

Sure... I'm realising they're open... Definitely not just throwing it out there...

I have used it as a purposeful punish a few times but it's such a safe move.  If it gets stuffed serious props to the person that did it.

I dunno the double quarter circle used to be such a common input for supers.  It comes with practise.

Milia just isn't a character archetype I gel with.  She's too fast for me.

@Maf here's how you do the air super (I posted this one already so spoilering it)

Spoiler

See muthafucka kick muthafucka into Narnia

edit I watched maf's video and am actually a bit encouraged my understanding of the character seems on track even if my execution is lacking obviously. Like there's one bit in there where they overshoot somebody and hit them from behind with HS, then cancel into Sultry Performance. Also that Sultry Performance can be cancelled into from the air dust attack, which I didn't know. I knew the attack was exploitable like that but not to that degree

Now I can use this knowledge to further my arsenal when they add crossplay and I kill maf with it