passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Guilty Gear -Strive-

HandsomeDead

The response time difference is like a half millisecond or something between PS4 and 5 (in PS4's favour). I doubt that that is noticeable.

It is noticeable going from PC to PS4 tho, like considerably different timings just for basic inputs so it's not like it's just something which affects high level. But I don't think it's the same as making the game easier or something, just that it's different. Woolie who I posted up above talks here about how he found PC a much harder experience cause the inputs have to come out faster. But again it's cause it's different. He performs best on PS5 cause that's where he developed the timing muscle memory

Personally I prefer the PC feeling and I can't get stuff out as well on PS (tho the Xbox controller has helped a lot in just hitting the cardinals), but on PC you also have the problem of people playing on potato laptops and this is what happens when you get that (i posted this already but for posterity sake it needs to be seen)

Spoiler

When I say I want a benchmark on PC I'm not gatekeeping, but what would you say the input lag is on this shit lol, like 10000ms. This is what awaits Playstation players when cross play gets put in 👀

edit the other thing anyway is that console is like the 'canonical' way to play this game at the end of the day, if you ever get it in your head you want to do a tournament or something then you've got to learn the console timings, not PC. 

Officer Dick's super is powered up beyond it's normal level by spinning the stick around multiple times (up to 1080 degrees). Considering the caliber of player on these floors are basically doing that already it sort of feels like it's gonna be a problem.

I don't know what you're supposed to do about that super lol. Squishy characters can get deleted by someone just mashing the stick around like crazy

Yea it's blockable it's just the guy gets to basically empty your health if you're squishy lol.

There's a clip of him one shotting Chipp with it I think, though that is with full risc gauge.

I had a few fights with some Gold Dicks today and obviously the mid level Dick game is pretty flaccid, but the super is giving me a really hard time and I just feel like I'm getting boned out of some fights where I'm working really really... diligently

edit look at this muthafucka's damage

Thing is you can be on any floor you want though, if you're on floor 6 and a bit salty about it you can stroll all the way up to 10 and see what the view is like while getting bounced around like a volleyball by high skill players.

The guy makes a good point but if you're interested in learning the game I think you just have to ignore the floor system entirely and apply to the floors where you're able to contest sets but not the ones where you just walk over people.

Or is it just me? Because I don't understand why the floor system works the way it does where I can just go to floor 9 as a floor 7 player, I assume it's like that for everyone. Just ignore your floor if you want, it doesn't matter unless you're trying to get into the celestial floor. Which will require about 1000 hours of game knowledge at this point cause the people on that floor are just way too good

also Gold Dick might actually be kinda terrible 

I have no idea about all that floor stuff but the best approach is usually to just put everything except the actual match out of view. Your floor, your rank, the opponent's rank etc., just approach the match with the mindset that your opponent might be better than you and that you're going to give it a 100% and see what happens. 

It sounds dumb but it really helps. I don't know if Strive has a function like that but you can turn off ingame rank display in SFV for example and believe it or not that made me way more consistent. Because if you see who you're up against, you automatically, and maybe just subconciously, assume they worse than you if their rank is lower or that they're better than you if it's higher. Not to mention the constant worry and anxiety about falling down a rank etc. Ranked modes are just very exhausting I think and particularly during the learning process it's better to just shield yourself from all that info and focus on improving.

Most of the Dicks out there can't handle I-No right now, it's a very favourable match up for her actually other than the massive damage he can do

That gatling gun thing for instance, just whiff megolomania lul.

I'll lab that Dick combo tho and I bet I get out of it

Unless the video is about his chip damage, which yes it's a bit fucked

This ky just went and decided to off and kill his self

I'm back on F9, but still absolutely terrible at doing anything about the Leo cross up. I need to lab a RC combo out of a throw so the times when I do manage to do it I scare the muthafuckas into not mashing it out all the time. Trick them into thinking I'm very good at the game, which I'm not. But how will they know

scratch that I think I am getting to the point that 8 is getting beneath me. 6H beats Mega Fist apparently? Pog

edit now I'm labbing Axl and I found out how to deal with that stupid full screen grab. I think historically Axl v I-No is considered the most miserable matchup in the series, not sure of Strive in particular.

Spoiler

Just jump and block

Max getting it on with the big man

What I've found with this guy is he seems pretty hobbled at this early stage, he has immense corner combo potential but it's very hard for him to get the opportunity to actually pull that stuff off. For the secretary of absolute defense he seems to struggle with defending against pressure

It's a very easy match for I-No unless you mess up and let him attack you, at least at week 2 mid level dick range (floors 8 and 9). In one match I had the gold dick player deliberately put himself in the corner so he could (A) jump over one of my attacks and switch positions or (B) reverse positions with a throw. 

The gatling gun attack seems particularly terrible unless there's some application there I've not noticed yet.

edit Sonic Fox dropping this casual trash

Anyway not like the guy's word is gospel or anything but interesting to hear what it is he's not enjoying about it. Altho he did get blown out by a newer player in the EU v US tournament recently 🤔

DBFZ is way more simple. Especially if SF is talking about feeling limited. The only other complications being tag team has is assists and being able to DHC. I think, anyway. Maybe @HandsomeDead has some thoughts on that

In terms of the fighting mechanics. If he thinks GGS is solved then he must of mastered DBFZ in a day. Thing about DBFZ is it's just about opening the opponent up and then doing the combo you know. 99% of the time as long as you can get it started and do it properly it will work. Even if you panic, assists are down, no meter for supers. If you open an opponent up literally hitting square 4 times will get you 25% of their life bar. 

DBFZ is fun because it's a fast, flashy, twitch react game. But it is very simple. if GGS is solved then how did they play DBFZ for 3 years I dunno. There's lots you can do in DBFZ, but it's quite static. DBFZ in it's tutorials literally tells players the answers to problems. Reflect>Attack, Dragon Rush> Reflect, Attack>Dragon Rush. If they super dash you 2H, if they Vanish you Vanish. 

I like DBFZ maybe just as much as Strive but it's way more simple and there's much less to solve. So I don't really get SF's stance. Maybe DBFZ is also really simple but being so popular he has to play it anyway. I dunno. 

GGS even trying to do basic stuff can take real thinking about and might not work every time for god knows why. Your character was a tiny bit too close, far away, the opponent is too heavy, too fast, etc. 

Not that my word is much against the word of one of the best fighting game players in the world lol. I just don't understand  'solved' being the reason.

I'm not qualified to speak on any of this stuff but they could I guess be applying different standards to the games I guess based on their fighting sub-genres or something.

He mentions stuff like Skullgirls and Melty Blood, which I don't know anything about. But I guess they're richer and keep a higher skill ceiling. From what I heard the thing that frustrated people with Strive is they made combo routes way more rigid and it's hard to get expressive with the characters at a higher level, well that's one of the things that gets mentioned anyway. There's others too, but I can't give my own opinion on that stuff cause I've not played those games

Accent Core has rollback, maybe SonicFox could go and play that one.

One thing I will say as a nooby is I find it a little annoying how much RC feels like the gateway to the expressive stuff in the game, cause with I-No you actually want to use meter to burst people through the wall with your super. Because if you break the wall with a super, you get the advantage. If you use a regular or RC combo you don't get the hard knockdown which means a slow struggle to approach your opponent again. You destroy all your momentum with it. Maybe there could be more ways to spend like 25% of gauge on other stuff, I dunno, rather than waste a huge chunk on a non-valuable RC for I-No (unless it's a defensive RC or something)

It's an expected response from super high level players.  It was the same with Street Fighter V but I think Strive is more open than SFV was in its early stages of its life.  And with Strive also being similar because it's a game that is meant to be easier to get your head around.

I think there are some short memories when it come to The Discourse as DBFZ had an early solved meta too at first which was 'use Android 16' but as the game developed things got more varied, not just with characters but with alterations to combo potential.  But DBFZ always had great movement (though some just think the Super Dash is straight stupid) and SonicFox is particularly good at the scramble in neutral and assists can make things unpredictable so I see why it still appeals to him.  Also, the dude plays a lot of NRS games so I guess I don't get him overall either.

Strive may always be too low-key for some but like SonicFox said Skullgirls is getting new updates and is seeing new life and a new Melty Blood is around the corner and they will fill the role the Guilty Gear once filled for people who want things a bit wilder, and that's cool.  A diversity of fighting games is a good thing but not everyone is gonna be into all of it.

It's also worth mentioning when a game like Strive or SFV are the more popular games it does cause a bit of bitterness with some pros, since they often headline the biggest tournaments and have the biggest prize pools so they feel like they have to play them a lot if they want to keep being a full-time pro.  And if you don't like the games then it will suck.  That informs their opinion somewhat and it is kinda funny when normies nod along like they know exactly what pros are talking about, like they've got the game solved too.

The devs are in a really unenviable position.  You gotta make a game that feels good to normies and is satisfying while also giving it loads of depth for high level players who do end up promoting the game in tournaments and the like.  Finding out that sweet spot of making it feel approachable and having a higher skill ceiling is clearly not an easy thing to figure out as many have tried and find themselves a bit too far on either side of the equation.

Exactly what I was going to say, yep *nods along*

The only thing I have solved so far is beating Dwarf's ass which, I feel kind of bad about since him having only one arm and all, but it was part of my climb to the top. Which I'm still trying to solve that part is very much unsolved.