passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Guilty Gear -Strive-

HandsomeDead

I feel misled HandsomeDead, on the online it popped me onto floor 6 of habbo hotel and said 'you're clearly ready for this shit' and matched me against level 50 ppl so I'm just going to go have a cry or something.

I wanted to be the guitar lady but she's a bit advanced so I guess I'll just clobber things with the wolf lady for a while

It just seems like such a very strange and clunky system, I mean I feel like I have provided the game very compelling evidence of my badness and I wish it would take my word for it and put me in room 1 with the other bads. But I have to be blinded by confusing skill first. It feels like you're knocking on the door into a party you're not particularly welcome at and getting thrown out all the time. It's a pretty negative impression that makes me not feel much incentive to stick with I guess.

I’ve seen it. I’ve watched lots of streams of the game. People were shitting on it since the beta but it is what it is. The person I watch sets it to accept all challengers, goes in to training and wait for someone to come to him. 

It's seems Dwarf might have accidentally did too well against the AI opponent which gauges your initial rank.  It's certainly exposed a potential flaw in the system and there's no good way to go about it.  

@Maf you can start that combo after the RC with a dash K but needs a slight spacing adjustment.  But get used to the one you know first.

17 hours ago, Maf said:

I’ve seen it. I’ve watched lots of streams of the game. People were shitting on it since the beta but it is what it is. The person I watch sets it to accept all challengers, goes in to training and wait for someone to come to him. 

As far as I can see this doesn't really work when you're just learning the game, cause the only options are 'any' or 'stronger'.

I can tell the game is cool but I think the onboarding here is pretty terrible. I don't think floors are a good system to group people by their skill

I think when you’re learning the game fighting any is what you want, right? You’ll learn by winning and losing. 

I don’t know. I haven’t tried it myself yet. I might get to it tonight I dunno. 

Maf if my 'never played a fighting game before' whack ass wins an online fight before you this is something you won't ever live down, just warning you.

I did do a bunch of missions btw, but I'm not thinking there's not much point in having a tutorial in the intricacies of every mechanic before going fighting actual people. Like really just seems you should just do the first two 'levels' of those missions, cause otherwise you are going to overload your head with a thesaraus of mechanics before you even know how to apply the basics of movements against actual people who will whip your ass

But I also have this learn by doing approach anyway, where I would rather just figure some of the stuff out myself when it is stuff that doesn't require explanation (because some stuff does need a tutorial)

BTW, this game has a pretty bad problem on PC. If you play in 4K you will cause a massive slowdown whenever 'counter' happens. This also occurs if the other player is playing in 4k, wonder why they don't disable the option

Absolutely. I did Dojo to get a feel for the buttons. Then did the first set of missions to understand some of the mechanics. Then went back to the dojo to practice some of it. Then copied some combos of a YT video. Then came here to show off that combo because it’s fun. And now I have to go online and try it all for real.

Just all part of building the confidence and prep really. I think some people who are more practiced at fighting games can skip a lot of that and jump straight to online and learn that way. But I’m so inexperienced and bad at fighting games I need to do a bit of work before hand. 

EDIT: And don’t worry, you won’t win a fight before I do lol

Well it took me 3 matches but I got my first win. He fell victim to my invincible technique of dash in the air and poke them to death

Not a good win but I’ll take it (The game put me on the 4th floor by the way).

I can already tell Gio isn’t for me. She is so stilted (In fact I think a lot of the characters are) but the lack of sprint I find too hard to deal with. 

@HandsomeDead I would like my White Belt now, please 

You are mistaking cowardly for panic. I jam that square button like a brave champion

(+ I’m struggling to unlearn DBFZ buttons which is mostly hit square)

You’re really good at getting that air super out. Not just hitting the buttons but also recognising the jump kick hit. I don’t even bother with it. I can’t remember my simple 3 move combos when the fight gets going 

By coward I meant that you were afraid to go online lol.

I won 3 more matches and the game told me to stop playing this guy for some reason so I guess it's figured out my level now

But there's no technique there to the way I'm doing the air kick into that air special, that is me spamming B and just trying to get it out lol.

edit on floor 5 now and had a bunch of rounds with the blondey guy who beat me in all but one but I'm enjoying the game now

I won a 4th match and it kicked me up to floor 6. I then went against the Black Vampire character and, got a couple rounds, but he had me beat. Very convincing.

Then I fought this guy. Forgive the length of the video but me and this man went to war, dude

I’m still scrambly, and can’t get a Super out to save my life (Or the DP why does it suck so much) but damn did I just learn a lot about control.

I’m supposed to be going to bed for work in the morning but now I can’t feel my face 

This game is siiiiiiiiiiiiiiick ?

@HandsomeDead you gotta respect it now. Gimme my god damn belt. Stop hogging all the belts. 

This belongs in the TV thread but these OLED tvs with these types of games are like putting my eyeballs on a frying pan, otherwise I would probably be doing some more anime fighting but I can't because I don't have eyeballs anymore. It's a shit problem to have. When I get my belt I'm putting it around where my eyes used to be