passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Guilty Gear -Strive-

HandsomeDead

I was just watching a Millia player on Twitch and I think what I’ve realised is I’m having a hard trouble with mix ups because the opponent is too far away. When I do H Disc I usually have to run up to them a bit first and do a sliding H Disc for it too reach in time. I think this is what is stopping me doing IAD mixes where they’re failing or don’t reach.

The person I’m watching they knock their opponents down with a lot of 2D or just a different combo that ends in the sliding kick and they end up a lot closer and don’t have to run as much. In fact there are some mixes where when they dash 1 time they have nearly gone completely over the other player.

It’s going to be harder to do in practice but maybe that is something I need to concentrate on. Maybe my mixes aren’t bad it’s just the positioning is all wrong.

Floor 8 handsomedead

And to answer that question I'm gonna guess that there's lots of people playing this as their first fighting game who don't have the fundamentals down enough to begin even answering why their 6H keeps getting countered. You see it a lot with Gio and Sol players too, any character that is powerful enough to carry people through some of the earlier floors.

I think the only reason I learned any of that is I stuck with a character that I really struggled to get comfortable with, else I would speed through the floors with Gio and have the same knowledge gaps as that guy has.

I find floor 8 to be a 60/40 split of good players and morons. It’s why it took me 4 hours to get back to floor 9. I would win sets against bad players and then lose sets against good players. It’s a hard place to hang but the easy matches kept me afloat.

I’ve only had a taste of floor 9 and I can already tell I don’t belong there at all. I’m kind of tempted to torpedo my rank and get back down some floors so I have live opponents to practice stuff against. There’s no time to practice or experiment at higher floors, it’s too rough and matches are over too quickly

Practice on the CPU in arcade mode if needs be.  I know a CPU opponent isn't like a person but it's there.

I went back and found that person who was Gio, then I assume got mad when I beat them and switched to Leo, who was probably their main to teach me a lesson, but failed.

This kinda FGC pompousness is funny, it has to be recorded.

Leo user who constantly falls for Leo's DP

Leo v Leo 

tenor.gif

Look tho I was right about 5P spam being the way to handle the cross up

Fuck trying to 'throw' Leo as he passes you, who has time for that ninja reflex nonsense. I mash button that work

Also maf I'm coming for that pink belt

I-No v Millia

tenor.gif

(but you know, much more elegant and refined gorilla fighting)

Also I strongly recommend again the recording feature. Go on floor 9 or 8 or whatever and take a replay and look at some bullshit and get a dummy to do it, then punish it with your own nonsense. 

One of these days I will j.S the spinning disc and divebomb Millia into a super grab through the wall, it will be fucking pog

Wait, I said fast buttons beat Leo's cross-up, but throwing it does more damage and is much easier to RC and go into a full combo for the kind of punish that makes them think twice, if they're smart, which they probably aren't.  Then you do it again and win.

I mean, I don't do this 99% of the time but it's good to know it and work towards it.

Like, I do have a plan B for those that punish the cross-up (I've never had to use it, yet).  I keep some of my cards close to my chest.

btw I'm looking to pick up Zato, not that I think I have it in me to get good at a character like that but I fundamentally don't understand what is going on when I fight him and how much heed needs to be paid to the meter and what to do about Eddie

So my plan is to lab him for a few days in training and then take him online in ranked on playstation, cause I don't care about my rank on playstation, and see what level I can get to. I'll have to start on a slightly high floor like 7 or something and get booted down but that's fine.

But it's fucking weird. Your meter empties really fast and you have to dismiss the demon to not have a long cooldown. Also you can hold multiple buttons down so you can do a S, hold it down while doing a different attack and then release S to get Eddie to do something, which for me is the most DMC style input I've seen in this game. But the meter management means it has to be very carefully considered I guess.

So TL;DR, I want to become a bad Zato player to gain a respect of what to matters to him in a fight so I can graduate my own understanding of the matchup WRT playing I-No

btw this doesn't compare to someone trying to teach someone a lesson on their main and getting BTFO, but I went 100% unga on this Ram and they wouldn't rematch with me lol. After a while I was pretty much just pressing whatever. If they don't know the I-No matchup it's all you need. Usually though I have to work for my Ram victories cause as soon as they corner you it turns bad really fast. Not this time

Spoiler

All you need to do for I-No as ram is wait for that floaty air dash and pin them to the wall with swords

This game is going to make me cry today god damn. I was fighting a Ky and every mix up he got right and punished me for trying. I have the worst reads.

Maybe it’s time to admit defeat and play a different character. I’m really tired of trying hard as fuck for no damage when most other characters just hit directly and easy for super damage

I believe in you

I-No doesn't have the complexity of a Millia with big huge combos, but actually approaching people is where the pain starts to happen. High skill I-No players like Daru actually use really simplistic (like beginner level) but varied combos. Not that they can't break out the huge 14 hit monsters if need be, but it's not that important. Especially as meter is required for that anyway and I-No should be using that to air super people through the wall*

(here's that dudes youtube, he streams every day: https://www.youtube.com/c/daru_i-no )

The thing is all that trying hard as fuck translates into superior game knowledge if you ever get to floor 10 and above. Or at least it should, theoretically.

*if you hit someone through the wall with a regular or even RC combo the other player has an advantage. Maybe doesn't matter with Millia cause she is fast but it matters hugely with I-No. If you hit them through with the super tho you have an advantage and can rush them (unless they reversal, if they have one, but even then the advantage is good to have) Also you get that meter back anyways

Think I’m running out of things to contribute to this thread. Was on 9, got beat down to 7, back to 8. Ram’s and Ky’s. No Leo’s today THANK GOD. Still suck at the game, can’t do quarter circles 50% of the time. Different day.

I washed my hands and the pad just to see if I get a smoother movement over this D-pad but nope. 

I dunno. I’ve hit my max with this game. Don’t think I can do any better than this and I’m going to find who ever designed Ram for this game and run over their pets

If the bottleneck is match up knowledge there's no way to overcome it other than try, fail, look at replay, lab a solution with the recording feature. I'm at the exact same point as you, ping ponging between 7 and 9. Like it is literally the exact same thing as you describe, as well as the constant losing to shit that I can't even begin to figure out (where the hell do you even start with the I-No and Chipp matchup, I'm fucked for that). All I'm doing and continuing to do is continue that ping pong and lab stuff I come across. You can't yolo the fights after a certain point, you've got to kind of get really stuck in the weeds on how to answer specific matchups.

That's not really a "you're bad at the game" problem it's a problem of how slow that process is. But if it's a "you're sick of the process/game" problem well that's different I suppose. The thing is tho labbing solutions is actually kind of enjoyable, like when I found out that I-No's 2H stops Sol's flaming vortex thing I was really excited, especially when floor 8 sols kept doing it over and over not getting why it wasn't working lol

When it comes to getting to heaven my expectation is I'll get to do the challenge once or twice but the knowledge gap will be too steep at that point cause you're literally fighting the best people in the game, so I can only be motivated by my own self improvement. Or put 100s more hours in and eventually become big balls mc-giant dick with my VIP tag

The sony controllers are total shit though

18 hours ago, Maf said:

I dunno. I’ve hit my max with this game. Don’t think I can do any better than this and I’m going to find who ever designed Ram for this game and run over their pets

The game's been out for a little more than a month. Every time I put in SFV I learn something, get better at a specific punish, have better spacing on some of my normals, better awareness about what specific characters want to go for etc.. And that game came out in 2016 and I've played it for over 2500 hours.

I've said this a hundred times before but progress in fighting games is always slow. You can influence the slowness of it by training with someone equally storng (or slightly better) and specifically looking to improve in certain areas. But even then it'll still be slow. It's not like learning Mario Kart, it's like learning an instrument. You're not going to rock a solo a month after picking up a guitar.

Mary's posts on this are very insightful, it's all very true I think. My progress has slowed to a glacial rate right now so I'm not even paying attention to the tower system anymore. So at some point I think you have to stop worrying about the stupid floor system cause in any case it doesn't actually prevent you from applying to higher floors beside Celestial. I got booted back to 7 again but I'm staying on 8 even if it sets me to 5

My to do list looks like this. I have to lab multiple variants of the Leo cross up and use the feature in the recording menu which selects random recordings, so I can get more confident at dealing with it (maybe have one or two where Leo doesn't start with cross up). Need to do the same with May's dolphin spam too, figuring out which one is the slow to start up but plus on block one and vice versa. I saw that the input is a charge input, at the very least I can tell low skill May's are more likely to spam the fast startup but minus on block variant so that could get me through some of that shit. Also have to record some of the Millia cross up stuff to get out of the habit of turtling up and getting stuck under pressure. I've got like 5 or 6 videos of my ass getting beat by millias so gonna use them to figure it out

These are the 3 I'm focused on learning. I need to do this to actually get to a point where I can start to hang on floor 9, cause the YOLO method loses usefulness after a point especially with a low damage character like I-No. You've got to have consistency not just a few lucky whacks like Sol can get away with. I guess what you have to do is find it fun to pick apart other character's tech and not get trapped in your ego of feeling you should already be good 

watching this for motivation cause work is slow, Woolie getting blasted by a pro I-No 🤣

My annoyance isn't so much not being great at the game but being shit at the game. That sounds like a zero sum situation but it isn't. I don't mind losing, or even being smoked by certain characters (Except when it's on repeat), it's more the not being able to keep up with the action and buttons not coming out. It's these things that make me get very sweary. 

I do love playing it and think it's excellent. I'm not going to stop playing. Just wish I could get over fundamental bullshit like pressing buttons correctly and having faster reactions. 

I would legit consider looking into alt control methods, the dualsense is a piece of shit. You might need to 'drop down' to the PS4 version to get that stuff to work tho as I understand Sony makes the PS5 controller api stuff way more limited. eg I don't think hitbox works with the PS5 version, only PS4 on PS4/5 which is some top tier nonsense.

Just don't expect tho that you'll be good at using a fight stick if that's the direction you end up considering, cause that's like a whole other skill tree you need to spec for. But there might be some good custom controllers for fighting, I know SonicFox had some sort of DS4 before where ever cardinal clicked and was a separate button. But he had that shit custom built for himself in particular I think

I don't want a fightstick. They're too big, expensive and clacky. I do think about looking for a different fighting game pad. One that just has a really good d-pad.

I'm also thinking about downloading the PS4 version and seeing if that helps. I was in the training room yesterday trying to practise mixes with the H disc. I noticed that if I do the H disc (236S) from compete neutral, right where you start in training. If I do the H disc and then jam as fast as I can on the L1 button sometimes Millia will make it over the opponent and sometimes be a bit too low and dash in to him. 

Maybe I'm looking for excuses but is the response time really getting in the way that much? It's probably some bullshit but I'm thinking about it. Seeing if it's easier.