passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Guilty Gear -Strive-

HandsomeDead

Yeah, I didn’t mean like whiffing in neutral. More if the hit is block and I go to block.

I was going to edit my post to say like a safe jump but it wouldn’t let me.

Finally starting to look more in to detail of the game because I think I’ve really reached my peak of what I can do just playing naturally, but all this advanced stuff seems very hard.

Time to start looking at specific counter play and mechanics when S2 drops

I dunno how it is with Millia but the safe jump tech with I-No is basically a requirement to break through the mid-tier floor 10 player plateau, which I'm still at. I guess permanently at, cause I dunno I'm interested enough in Strive anymore to progress. But for her she has dozens of safe jump setups that you really have to pick up on and eventually you develop an instinct for coming up with your own just from being able to eyeball the timing and knowing the timing of some filler inputs (like, throwing out a j.p and then downback j.s)

From when I briefly looked at Millia tech it seemed to be more about fuzzy guards than safe jump. When it comes to this stuff you kinda got to do your own research into the character specific discords, where they try to gather all this tech together. But anyway yea, these kinds of characters have to learn OS to implement their setplay. Some characters like nago and leo maybe can get away without it for a bit longer cause their pressure is so oppressive. Mix up characters with lower damage it's a no

I still don’t understand Millia’s safe jump. I do the actions so it looks like a safe jump but it definitely isn’t. I saw a different version of it I need to try. 

If Millia gets really good buffs in S2 I’m really going to actually lab stuff and try to learn it. Because I never did any of that really. I only went as far as setting Ky to jab on hit to test out jH combos. I still love this game though and actually want to get better at it still. If I don’t get to Celestial fair enough, I’m happy having fun on floor 10. But I still want to understand how to play the game better. There are still a lot of fighting game “things” I just don’t understand and want to learn

He has a great counter that looks like 3 other moves, his jump attack is unbeatable, an inescapable super reversal and a combo string where right at the end can be a low or a overhead. 

He’s the only character in the game I have to force myself to not jump against

#anjitoolow

The only truth there is his jump attack is good. Almost everyone has a super reversal but anji's only unique benefit is his is frame 1, but it loses to a timed wakeup grab. It's a diceroll that at a certain point ends up fucking him, not the opponent.

His fuijin stuff can largely be dealt with on reaction. You only have to guess if it's high or low, if it's leap forward you tech grab, if if's pop in the air with the sticks you jump and attack. Damn, what an oppressive mix.

Dude is absolute dogshit, if you're struggling now then you're going to be miserable once he actually becomes a character

(Now you know why I fish for Anjis and Axls for celestial challenge. Got to find the bottom tiers)

I'm sure he is as bad as people say but I've literally not looked at the details of a single move he does. Everything I know is what I've got from playing against him. Which is don't jump. 

S2 I will be looking, labbing and understanding characters better. But I really don't know anything about Anji or how his moves work so for me he's very hard to fight against. 

WAIT

YOU CAN’T SPAM JAB AT ME NO MORE?!

Or at least you got to guess much better

I CAN BLOCK REVERSAL SUPER AND YOU’RE IN FUCKING TROUBLE IS THAT WHAT I’M READING 

Nago, you are done, my guy 

Reduced recovery on H disc? So more time for shenanigans? Better Oki what do you think @HandsomeDead want to play me when I have better oki

I have more options after jumping HS does that mean also you got to stop spamming P at me and auto win  I hope that’s what that means 

EDIT: jD now launches grounded opponents and can be done after jHS. If it also beats jab that’s a air combo? Does Millia also get counter hit? 

If the buffs to Millia are the opponent better stand fucking still when she’s doing her thing that would be amazing, I think. I’ve said time and time again in this thread that even when doing H Disc it doesn’t feel like Millia’s turn. Leo for example I swear I’m more scared of him during MY set play then he is scared of me.

Took some quick notes on what I could look at

RC cancel uses less meter, so some motivation now to improve execution of this as it consumes less tension now (also I guess that it is slightly easier to do as the cancel doesn't skip slowdown now, like it does in this video)

Spoiler

C.S can be dash cancelled, so its use as a frame trap in the corner will allow for more extensive mixups 

FD button makes auto timing some wakeup pressure stuff easier (j.d, dash fd, 2k 6h)

Very strange of them to increase h stroke recovery though I think. Like who is still getting filtered over h stroke. It's a move people can grab on reaction, I can grab it on reaction.

2 hours ago, Maf said:

I CAN BLOCK REVERSAL SUPER AND YOU’RE IN FUCKING TROUBLE IS THAT WHAT I’M READING 

Dunno where you're reading this. Also if you're scared of Leo during your setplay the problem is your setplay lol

I mean I'm also scared of Leo, but I'm mostly tilted by the fact it often seems most of them aren't even looking at the screen and just do whatever, and often get rewarded for it.

edit I'm reading that some of the 'priority' input changes they are making just made TK inputs harder, oh well

With Millia if the opponent jab during h disc and I block the disc goes away. It’s basically counted as a fail. Which always sucked. The only way to stop it is to back dash (which also sucks) or jump. But jump can’t escape all supers. 

Now if Millia blocks the opponent the hit box on the disc remains. Some characters can try super out of it but sometimes weird timing or positioning happens and they get hit by the disc anyway.

Now it reads like if I block the super they’re definitely going to get hit, because the hit box remains active even if I block the super. 

Some supers will automatically launch characters out of the disc. Like I dunno the heights but I-No’s reversals might still get her out of it.

But for characters that stand in one place like Nago or Golddick. Just need to block and they get hit by the disc. 

Is what it reads like to me.

Leo’s ridiculous when it comes to Millia’s set play. DP, jab, counter, etc. But if Millia blocking works out as a punish for him now that’s really good. 

I-No gets better corner mix that’s what the world needed 🤕

If they have time to jab tho then it isn't oki surely, it's got a massive gap that lets them recover and do a 5 frame move. I dunno I just figure wakeup pressure is like they have to block and respect it or find a gap or tech a grab, or fuzzy guard/jump which I dunno how to do. Your active frames have to overlap their recovery

Corner mix is supposed to be i-no's win condition and they made her neutral even worse anyway to get to that. I'm not feeling these changes but it's hard to know without testing out to see what the actual frame data is, if hstroke went from +2 to 0 on block it would be fine. But the move has super slow startup and so a dangerous option to get in in the first place. I don't really buy that this far into the game being knowledge checked by a move that's super slow on startup is much of an excuse

The CS changes are significant though, it's something that I was already incorporating so now it will have actual routes. Tbf I'm probably not looking at some of these changes holistically 

No, they can’t jab and recover in h disc. If they jab and whiff the disc hits them. 

But if they jab and I block the disc would go away. Which basically means they win. Which is why I say even in Millia’s set play it doesn’t always feel like Millia’s turn when they can just jab and win.

Sure Millia can jump, but you have to do that every time? You never get to try mix you just have to jump when you meet a jabber? Then they can decide to not jab and you jump and lose again? It was tough. 

Now it’s saying that even if they block the jab they’ll get hit. Which seems pretty major. Especially if it applies to supers.

Basically it beats spammers and gives advantage to Millia. Which is her set play so seems fair.

At least that’s how it reads.

I was reading about the TK changes too. I mean I don’t use TK bad moon that much anyway so shouldn’t be too bad for me 

I took a quick look before work and I think these changes are pretty poor. hstroke is very minus on block now that you don't get any natural frametrap from it anymore, which kills a lot of its utility in neutral cause you can't get mix on block. It's a 30 frame startup button that's -2 on block now, used to be +2. So you hstroke... and then do nothing. Might as well just use s stroke more cause it comes out faster and your turn ends anyway and it's good at catching mashing and extending pressure with RC. Hstroke becomes more of a situational whiff punish I think. That's a huge neutral nerf, her approach now is dash or contest the opponent with disjointed pokes, or use note as before.

The c.s dash cancel change is way too slow to actually be useful for her, it gives her the same kind of reset she already can do. I don't think the patch looks like it's turning the game into something I would be excited to return to. Feels sort of slap dash.

Might be an excuse to learn Baiken or Testament though, so might try that for a while and let the hardcore tech heads see if there's something here that I missed while I mash with a character I don't know anything about. From what I did see the rc changes might be impactful though to some of the changes but it's a bit big brain for me to figure out by myself. Old safe jump setups have been impacted by the DP changes so I will have to re-learn things anyway

I’m excited to binge Twitch later and watch what’s going on. I already saw Apologyman’ stream he’s named “Faust Revenge Arc” lol

Think I’m finally going to buy that S1 DLC as well so I can try and lab/practice stuff against all the characters.

Did I-No get any buffs? I haven’t actually looked at her notes yet 

The buffs are some of her higher damage conversions are easier to achieve (chemical love is more active I think is the reason). CS dash cancel might lead to other safe jump setups. 

PRC-ing note doesn't delete the note, so note in neutral has mixup potential which is a very xrd type of thing, strive note in neutral was boring as fuck. Air note is fast but has shit recovery

@HandsomeDead must watch

”I really feel like this is a thing that doesn’t belong in modern fighting games…but we take those”

Yeah we do 🙂

EDIT: Once I learn how to Kapple in to combo these muthafuckers will never stand under me jabbing 5P again. 

Man, S2 buffs already coming in clutch. Got a Kapple combo and this Sol's DP got him hit by the disc when I blocked. Also you know he was so mad how he lost the second game. I didn't mean to 5P at all lol

Also this Zato is level 500 but he couldn't mix me at all. I played him twice and walked away 6-0. How do you get to level 500, which I assume means Celestial at one point, and can't mix me? Did he dodge every good player to get to the top? 

The thing I need to concentrate on now is learning to Kapple people instead of jH. Before I only used it for movement and evasion, because that's all it was really good for. Now it can be a small combo. Doesn't do loads of damage but should scare people more than before where it would just do 2% damage and that's it. The only trouble is bravery. Really need to be on top of someone before doing it which is hard. One because I'm so unreliable at 236 but also it's not a timing I've bothered practicing before because it wasn't worth it. 

The fact that opponents get hit by the disc on block is magic. That's exactly what Millia needed. How many times have I moaned about it being my set play or my turn, but it doesn't feel like it because it can be beat by 5P? A lot, I moaned about it a lot. Before the situation was like this

Opponent 5P, Millia gets hit = Lose

Opponent 5P, Millia blocks = Lose

Opponent 5P, Millia evades = Win

So obviously in the H disc mix there's variation but in this instance Millia was losing 2/3 times to someone spamming punch. But now it's 2/3 in her favour which yo, call me biased, but I'm way more about this shit. 

Despite being season 2 and there's some nice buffs. I still find myself stuck on the same old things. In the Sol video above you can see I tried to play neutral a lot more properly instead of Kapple jumping in non-stop. I need to be braver with H Disc mixes too. I'm trying to train myself to do this crafty Mizrah cancel in to H disc which is super slimy and if someone has seen it then it's easy to beat but I don't have either the courage or the brain power to do it in a match. I just freeze and stick to the easy shit. 

Also my approach is lame as shit. I still struggle with pressure in this game. I just don't really have any if the opponent is blocking. 

Hmm. I don't know what to do. How do you get better at this video game? It's difficult to understand how to clear the next hurdle because I don't know what it is exactly. These people are so much better than me at the game, but I don't know how they are. It isn't about buffs or character selects they're playing the game better. 

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm not sure. I think this week I need to just sit in the dojo and practice safe jumps and option selects. I think this is the advanced stuff which is leaving me trailing other people. Because I know my safe jumps are fake as fuck, they never work. 

Also my inputs are terrible still. I'm seriously considering a fight stick at this point. Maybe next month I buy one just to try it. If it doesn't help so be it, but I need to be more reliable with my inputs. That would make me better at the game. Getting the move I want more than 6/10 attempts.