passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Ys General Chat

Rikzilla

Ys (like 'fleece') is an action RPG series Japan that not many people know about which is crazy considering the first game game out in 1989.

With it being a lesser known series I didn't think it was worth making threads for the games on a game-by-game basis, but there are two new titles coming to PS4 this year (one is a remake, one is a brand new game) and I just wanted somewhere to talking about them ?

I've played 4 or 5 of them and am currently playing through Ys Origin on the PS4 at the moment, and I know a couple of the guys here are fans of the series so I thought it would be nice to talk Ys with other fans and maybe introduce the series to a few of you whi aren't familiar.

And with the sudden interest in JRPG's on the site now seems like a good time to do it.

when it comes out there should be a thread for Memories of Celceta, I loved that on the Vita

I've only played a few Ys games. Oath in Felghana is probably in my top 100 games, loved it. Celceta is fantastic, and I played through the first Ys game on my phone, didn't quite finish it because I was hunting around for some armour or something, I forget. My thoughts on the Switch game are pretty well known, maybe one day I'll finish it. I'm similar to you on Origins, picked up the port and didn't really click with it

I'm on the third character playthrough on Ys: Origins now and I'm a little bored.

The first playthrough was fun, but the second was more of the same. Same areas, same bosses, same pick ups in the same place, etc. And the third character even more so than that.

I found the forced grinding in this one really annoying though, mostly because you hit the same wall at the same places and have to grind in the same areas for each character so it becomes super repetitive.

It isn't a bad game, but it's the weakest Ys game I've played so far.

Only had one experience with the series and that was with the truly excellent Ys 8. Not played any others as yet but I definitely will because 8 left such a lasting impression on me.

The next one I’ll be getting is Memories of Celceta I think (just pre-ordered on Amazon) and then Ys 9 Monstrum Nox whenever that comes out. 

I’ve had a quick google of Origin and I’m not sure it’s my bag. The other two I’ll definitely pickup though.

Ys VIII was my first and I absolutely loved it, then I went back to Ys Books 1 and 2, then VII, and now Origin, and Origin is definitely the weakest so far. 

I'm looking forward to Memories of Celceta next month. I already have it on Vita but didn't get around to playing it, then this remaster was announced so I decided to wait. I am super excited about Monstrum Nox though! I haven't heard much about it and I'm planning on keeping it that way until I play it myself. Hopefully it'll get a September/October release. 

I'm about a third of the way through my Origin playthrough and if it wasn't for the fact I decided to do a video on it I'd have given up halfway through the second story. It's not that it's bad, it's just that playing through same locations 3 times in a row is tiresome. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I'd taken a break between characters.

I'm enjoying the story with the third character though. They unlock after finishing the with the other 2 (Hugo and Yunica) and they've added a tonne more cutscenes in fill in the gaps in the story - I think this may be the canon story of the 3. 

Finished Ys Origins earlier.

Overall I enjoyed it. The third story was the best out of the three (which is good because it's the canon story), it's just a shame that I'd already gone through the same rooms, fighting the same bosses and enemies twice before so I was kinda burned out by the time I got to the third.

The final boss did my head in. I tried for an hour and just couldn't get close so I turned it off and went for a walk, and when I put it back on later I grinded for 20 minutes and went up 2 levels and destroyed absolutely destroyed the final boss in less than 5 minutes. Felt like a kick in the teeth to be honest.

Yunica's story feels most like a traditional Ys game, but the third character has the best story. Hugo's story was good too, but his gameplay was like an ok-ish shoot em up and he's weak as shit so it felt like a real chore to play as him sometimes.

First two playthroughs took 10 hours each, final playthrough took just over 7.

Will make a video on my full thoughts and share it here when it here when it's done.

Incidentally, I've just ordered the PC Engine Mini so I can play the original 2 Ys games ?

• 2 weeks later...

Of course there’s also the multiple title Legend of Heroes series:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Heroes

Best know for the Trails in the Sky trilogy and Trails of Cold Steel series (four games so far). I only briefly dipped my toes in the first Trails in the Sky game several years ago. I would like to go back to it and try more of these games.

10 minutes ago, radiofloyd said:

Of course there’s also the multiple title Legend of Heroes series:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Heroes

Best know for the Trails in the Sky trilogy and Trails of Cold Steel series (four games so far). I only briefly dipped my toes in the first Trails in the Sky game several years ago. I would like to go back to it and try more of these games.

This is like going into the Final Fantasy thread and saying "Of course, there's also the multiple title Dragon Quest series"

• 4 weeks later...