passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Messenger

radiofloyd

I’ve played through the first three levels so I’m still on the linear portion of the game (according to reviews the game transforms into a full-on metroidvania after a few hours). So far it’s been an enjoyable platformer/hack and slash game, with the standout being the visuals and music

The first two levels I played through in handheld mode but tonight I played using the pro controller and it’s much more enjoyable. The game has a mechanic where if you attack something mid air, it allows you to jump again, it’s a little bit uncomfortable in handheld mode but as I suspected it works like a charm using a proper controller. Not to mention the game looks beautiful on a big screen.

Five post combo. Double points from here on out.

This game is great. Like I said the bosses are really fun. I beat the boss in the underworld which brought me to the part where the game opens out like a metroidvania. Now I can go through all the levels again and I have a map of every level and I can see the rooms I haven’t visited yet. The game has a cool exploration mechanic where you can warp between the past and present (at certain points) to find a new route or way forward.

Its easy to die in the game but save points are frequent and now that I have a map the game really gives me that compulsive, have to keep exploring feeling.

If you like games like Ori and the Blind Forest, Hollow Knight, Cave Story etc then I recommend it.

Edit: Also I should say that the past levels are 8-bit and present levels are 16-bit so when you warp between the two the level of graphical detail changes. The 16-bit levels are really gorgeous.

• 7 months later...

I just started this today on Switch and have just reached the Underworld level. I’ve died over 50 times already ?

I didn’t die at all in the first two levels, then in the next couple started to die a bit but not too bad, and then you reach a level called the Tower of Time and it’s just death, death, death. 

I’m really liking it, but I’m not loving it. I don’t have much negative to say about it. I really like the gimmicks, the levels are quite creative, the bosses are mostly fun, the humour isn’t laugh out loud funny but it’s knowing and entertaining in small doses, and I just played it for like 2 or 3 hours straight I think and found it really hard to put down. Yet it still isn’t quite nailing it for me.

The thing where me and the game bump heads is on very specific examples of how the jumping works. Like I think you should just have to hold the jump button and you should start gliding, but this game doesn’t work like that you have to hit the jump button a second time then hold it down like it was a double jump, but it’s not a double jump it’s a glide so it should be a hold the button down. No matter how many times I died to that or try to keep it in mind I’m still fighting it when it gets fast and I panic.

The reverse is sticking to walls. I think if I want my character to stick to a wall I should be in control of that and it should be like Metroid where you hold a shoulder button down when near a wall to stick to it, but in this game it is automatic and interrupts what I’m trying to do so often. Especially in certain levels when you have to race against things and you just get caught on walls when I don’t mean too. Annoying.

Same thing for the slash attack. When you glide and slash the character slashes downwards instead of in front, and they purposefully want you to do this because certain boss patterns and levels are made for this. But even after so many hours my expectation is always to slash in front and I can’t wrap my head around it. 

These issues I have with it, though, aren’t huge by any means they’re more just niggles. They’re annoying when they’re annoying but hardly game breaking.

Overall I like it and will play more probably next weekend, but I just don’t like it as much as I thought I would 

So I played a lot of this tonight and feel like I’m closing in on the end. I’m about 11 hours, probably 150 deaths? Sheesh.

I’m not sure if I like this game anymore. The amount of having to attack challenges blindly + those same challenges actually requiring massive amounts of skill and understanding of the mechanics is really annoying in this last leg. Because so much of the game is about being airborne I think the game scrolling you into really difficult situations you don’t even know you’re getting in to, and can’t stop and examine it properly because of needing to concentrate on just not falling in pits without being able to take in the full range of obstacles on screen is counter intuitive and in some cases plain not fair. 

Also my hot new pet annoyance is the fall momentum. There’s definitely a cap to how fast the character falls but the change between fast and dropping like a stone is a real fucker sometimes. 

Also as much as this game turns in to a Metroidvania it’s not really that. The exploration is never that open neither do you get new abilities to get to new areas. You just have to run through the game again and get story items you couldn’t get earlier. But because you have a 8 bit version and 16 bit version and some rooms/paths can only be accessed in them certain modes, but the way you switch from one mode to another can only be done at fixed points on the map, it just means you have to go back and forth through these same areas over and over again. Literally you look at your map and think “I haven’t been there yet”, so you run all the way there, find out you can’t get there in the mode you’re in, then have to run all the way back to an access point to change modes, and then run all the way back to that point on the map. 

And because the game is quite hard, even when it’s not really trying to be sometimes, it gets real old. 

Because the game tries to be clever sometimes the access points to change modes are really, really far away as well. There was even one point where I had to exit in to a completely different area to change modes and then go all the way back. It adds a whole new layer of grief to backtracking that games like this can already struggle with. 

Despite this post being real moaning about the game, it is quite good, and I respect it, but it’s just doing to many things that are rubbing me the wrong way and I would really like it to be over. 

100% completed this yesterday and meh. Again I respect the game but it made me feel too stupid and negative to actually say I like the game. 

Today I tried the DLC and am abandoning it immediately. Holy shit.

In the main game there is this one enemy that effectively has a grenade launcher without the explosion. So they just stand in one place and lob rocks at you with an arc throw. In the DLC they reskin that enemy but with the added modification that when the grenade hits a surface it’s a cluster bomb and 5 littler grenades fly out further in the thrown direction. On the first screen 2 of these guys took me down to one hit, in the first secret area there is 8 of them on moving platforms and I just shut the game off straight away. 

I just can’t do these type of games anymore. Not that I was god tier at them in the beginning but I certainly don’t have the reflexes or patience anymore. It’s just turn in to a gruelling, trial and error death fest 

• 10 months later...

Played a couple of hours of this and just finished the catacombs. It’s really fun so far, controls really well and I love the music. My type of games these tight controlling 2D platformer action games. This seems like a good one. 

The stuff around the edges is good quality too, like dialogue with the shopkeeper bloke and the bosses - the catacombs one I’ve just beat was particularly fun.