passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Next Xboxes

DisturbedSwan

Here are some new information about Microsoft's next gen approach coming from Brad Sams (well reputed MS journalist that knows a lot of MS insiders):

First, Microsoft is building a traditional console that you would expect from the Xbox brand. I think it’s important to point this out so that those who prefer to have all their hardware locally, will have an option with the next generation Xbox.

As for specs for this device, that’s still not known at this time as it’s the early days of development for that piece of hardware. But what I am starting to hear more about is the second device, a streaming box that is designed to work with the company’s upcoming game streaming platform.

Scarlett Cloud as one person called it, is the game streaming service that we have all been envisioning ever since Microsoft showed off a demo game streaming at its all-employee meeting back in 2013. But this time, Microsoft has a path to bring it to market.

The second ‘console’ that the company is working on is a lower-powered device that is currently planned to ship with the next generation device that is designed for game-streaming. But the catch here is that Microsoft thinks it has figured out how to handle the latency sensitive aspects of gaming.

The cloud console will have a limited amount of compute locally for specific tasks like controller input, image processing, and importantly, collision detection. The downside of this is that it since more hardware is needed locally, it will raise the price of the streaming box but it will still cost significantly less than what we are accustomed to paying for a new-generation console which should help expand the platform’s reach.

The Xbox Scarlett family of devices will feature 2 devices: one classic console (like the Xbox One X for example) and a cloud gaming box.

Although their cloud gaming technology advancements can let them release the Xbox Scarlett Cloud sooner, Brad thinks that both devices will launch at the same time (2020).

The cloud version of Scarlett is further along in the development cycle than the traditional console that will also be released in 2020. This device does make me wonder if it has any relationship to the Xbox Hobart streaming device that was nearly released two years ago but was canceled late in the development cycle.

The Cloud Box will cost around 99-125$, it'll feature a hard drive that will deal with all the collisions and input informations in order to reduce latency, MS really thinks that they have it figured out with that hard drive collecting those infos.

All "Scarlett" (next gen games) will run both on the "Cloud Box" as well as on the Scarlett Console.

When it comes to games, all Scarlett games will run on all Scarlett devices. Meaning, both consoles will be first-class citizens and there is not expected to be an awkward ‘this game only runs on the non-cloud Scarlett’.

Sources:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/rumor-brad-sams-xbox-scarlett-cloud-box-information-leaked-next-gen-traditional-system-as-well.57285/#post-10700064

https://www.thurrott.com/xbox/163896/details-microsofts-xbox-scarlett-game-streaming-service

I've said this elsewhere, but I don't see who the streaming device would be for. It's the worst way to play the games, the hardcore will prefer to have the proper console for reliability and because the price isn't going to be an issue. The casuals might be more interested in the lower price, but they aren't going to want the hassle of streaming and not owning the game. These people don't buy console games digitally, they're not going to stream them

But hey, I could be wrong, or this rumour could be shite

I do believe it's the future. It's good there's choice. Always good that choice is offered then all tastes are catered for. 

You can still buy hardware and physical of other media but also totally go digital if it pleases. The thing with gaming us the latency and broadband speed needed/needs to be in place. Not sure it's quite their yet, here at least, but I do think the providers should start putting the moves on. Interesting they think they've cracked it.

The idea of logging into Xbox like it's Netflix, choose a game and play away, is quite attractive. Not sure how the pricing and options would work. 

Yeah cool. I'd probably buy the full box myself. I like physical copies of stuff. But if it's cheap enough who knows.

The problem with streaming games is that there's information going back the other way too. I expect lag to get better, but it will never go away, it can't unless the game starts predicting your movements to the point its playing itself. 

Then there's the bandwidth size. Let's say a 100 minute bluray film is 5 gig, the streaming version 2 gig thanks to compression. God of War is 40 gig (a guess), but it's 50 hours long, so rather than downloading or installing 40 gig you're hitting their servers for more like 60. Something like Fortnite is only a few gig, but people play that for hours and hours. They'd use more bandwidth in a day than the game needs to download. This isn't a problem for the players, assuming there's no bandwidth cap and they don't need to see fine detail, but it's really not cost effective for the host, subscriptions will have to be higher than they are now imo (I say imo because I really am pulling this out of my arse based on Netflix's troubles) 

Yeah there's issues but I do believe one day it will be overcome. While they sort it out we'll carry on as we are. Put a pin in it and we'll come back in 15 years. By then I think we'll be looking at it differently. Maybe even head jacking into the Matrix ?