passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy

DisturbedSwan

Got this through the post today, played through all 3 games when I was a kid and have fond memories, I actually played Crash before Mario so Crash was my second gaming 'mascot' I got acquainted with after Sonic.

I remember the first game being bastard hard and the sequel and 3rd game getting easier and further away from the Platforming of the first game with jet ski levels etc.

So yeah, got it today and started the first game. All the nostalgia came back to me with the opening sequence and first level, I attempted a time trial after to get a relic and immediately realised my hopes of 100%ing it were short-lived.

Made decent progress, got a few gems from getting all the boxes on a few levels but got stuck on Native Fortress for a while, made some more progress before getting stuck on 'road to nowhere'.

Damn that level was frustrating, tried it SO many times to finish it and eventually managed it after about 90 minutes, full on fist pumping and celebrating like mad after.

Got a video of me finishing 'Road to Nowhere' and a stream from the start of my playthrough to share too (video quality is unfortunately, awful on the stream):

Finished Crash 1 today, really enjoyed it I have to say, a breath of fresh air compared to the usual games I play nowadays.

I think if I'd of gone for the Gold relics and/or Gems I might've got more fucked off with it but finishing it just going through each level once had a nice flow to it, it didn't last too long (7.5 hours it took me) or outstay its welcome, it was just the right length with the right amount of variety in levels to keep things interesting.

The only real issues I had were with the two Rope-bridge levels, the first is above, took me AGES to finish that, managed to cheese the second one by jumping and walking along the rope on the right-hand side of the bridge, just took my time and basically skipped all the platforming, just sauntering across the rope to the finish, still lost a hell of a lot of lives from accidently jumping over the rope to my doom but I eventually got the knack of it.

It made me realise that I'd not even seen huge swathes of the game too. The level I remember getting up to when I was a kid was a few levels after Native Fortress, so seeing all the machinery based levels, all the ones where you have to go quickly and use Aka Aka lanterns to guide your path and others like Slippery Climb with a castle aesthetic I was seeing fresh for the first time, most of the boss battles were completely fresh too.

They've definitely made things easier and more manageable, if you lose a certain amount of lives you get a 2-Hit shield Aku Aku that protects you, and of course if you lose all your lives you just restart the level instead of having to start from the very beginning of the game again, incredibly helpful. Honestly, anyone that finished the original has my deepest respect, I cannot imagine how much my heart would've been pounding on the final boss knowing if I messed up I'd have to go all the way back to the very beginning of the game.

So yeah, going to make a start on Crash 2 tomorrow or Monday.

Here's a video of me defeating the final boss:

Made a start on Crash 2 today, thankfully this is immediately easier than Crash 1. 

Getting the sapphire relics (Golds are still too difficult for me) is now very doable and getting coloured gems in a level no longer requires you to go through without dying thankfully, instead you'll have to find certain hidden paths that will lead to a gem.

What's incredible about the level design is that all these gems feed into other levels, this was touched on in 1 but its perfected in this, to be able to get a gem in 1 level you might need to go through another, find a secret platform which'll then teleport you to a whole other level where you can get the gem for the original one you wanted, really is fantastic how it all interlocks.

As touched on above, the slide and crash splat moves along with new types of crates like Nitro and the chained wooden ones add a lot to the platforming. I can't tell you how satisfying one gem area I did earlier was, having to slide jump on ice over nitro boxes, incredible precision needed to jump just at the right time and then duck to avoid another nitro box hanging over head, wish I'd recorded it now, was truly fantastic. Donkey Kong Country levels of platforming excellence, so damn satisfying.

Playing 2 made me realise how little I remember of this game though, I vaguely recognised some of the snow/ice levels like Snow Go but most of it feels like I'm playing it for the first time, I didn't even know there were jungle levels in it like in Crash 1 at all, I think I maybe thought this was Crash 3. Remember the Aladdin-esque levels in that game vividly.

On 01/07/2017 at 11:45 PM, Blakey said:

Honestly, anyone that finished the original has my deepest respect, I cannot imagine how much my heart would've been pounding on the final boss knowing if I messed up I'd have to go all the way back to the very beginning of the game.

Fourteen year old me 100% cleared that mother fucker. I don't remember it sending you back to the very start of the game if you lost all your lives. 

Random fact, I finished this game the day Princess Diana died. Not sure if the two things are linked. Gawd bless 'er

9 minutes ago, Jimbo Xiii said:

Eleven year old me 100% cleared that mother fucker. I don't remember it sending you back to the very start of the game if you lost all your lives. 

Random fact, I finished this game the day Princess Diana died. Not sure if the two things are linked. Gawd bless 'er

Damn, I'm genuinely impressed with that! Fair play to you, I was about 7/8 when I played it I think, never got anywhere close to finishing it (a few levels after Native Fortress I believe I got up to).

I remember it putting me back to the very start of the game but maybe it was just the start of that island? I've no idea, that's just what nostalgia's telling me, almost definitely wrong, maybe it was because I didn't use a memory card and was something to do with the save system? Can't remember though.

I honestly can't remember either now. I'm pretty sure you got the masks when your lives where low as well. 

From what I remember if you get all the gems you bypass the final Cortex boss level and get a different ending. 

On 7/3/2017 at 0:17 AM, Jimbo Xiii said:

From what I remember if you get all the gems you bypass the final Cortex boss level and get a different ending. 

Yeah, there was a 'great hall' I passed through just before reaching the final boss that had loads of Gem platforms.

Made some decent progress in Crash 2 today, having a MUCH easier time with it than Crash 1, have got all the Gems and Relics so far on every level, so I'm quite chuffed with myself for that, not attempted the Gold relics but I believe the sapphire's count towards the 100% completion status so I probably won't attempt Gold relics runs for now, happy enough that I've managed all the Sapphire relics without too much many issues.

Really enjoying it, its got such a different feel to it than Crash 1, Crash 1 felt like a 'pure' platformer in lots of ways whereas this you can see and feel the improvements in level design and how Crash controls, it's also far less unforgiving, but some of the Gem/Death routes and relic runs have still been challenging enough to keep me on my toes.

The variety in Crash 2 is great, I feel like maybe there's a few too many snow/ice levels but that would be a very minor complaint, the Sewer levels are a real highlight for me too, fantastically designed, as mentioned in my previous post I love how the gems play a bigger role in unlocking secret paths/areas this time around too (and are easier to attain).

A few pics:

DD1EPjgW0AAjrzi.jpg

DD1ESqsXkAAFfQD.jpg

DD1EVlAXUAYgl4f.jpg

DD1EZumWAAEZ9xz.jpg

Crash 2 is now getting more challenging.

I'm in the 4th warp room now, having to replay some levels as much as 6 times to get all the gem's, secret paths, death routes, relics etc. and it took me 4 hours to get everything on just 3 out of 5 of the levels :o.

The highlight of these levels was 'Cold Hard Crash', another ice level featuring the slidey surfaces platforms, penguins and squishy columns. I was playing (and replaying) this level for what seemed like eternity, my first run through was the 'death route' (meaning I couldn't die before reaching a platform with a skull & bones on) and get the Gem at the end, then finish the level. My second run was going to be the most difficult, requiring me to get all the boxes, usually this isn't too much of an issue, but in this level it's quite a difficult task.

First off there's 155 boxes, the most of any level in the game (I think?) and in order to get all of them you have to go through the Death Route all the way to the end, hit a ! box, then go all the way back to the beginning without dying, step back on the death route platform and then continue the level as normal, collecting the purple crystal along the way, I was at it for AGES and AGES, honestly one of the most satisfying/frustrating things I've ever done, but I really appreciated it once I'd come out the other side, I adored this level, platforming perfection in my view, getting the right speed, momentum, avoiding the columns and enemies whilst trying not to die, was probably my biggest achievement in the game so far and I was absolutely chuffed.

Couldn't leave that level alone just yet though, had to do the relic time trial run to finish it off, spent ages trying to get this too but eventually managed it:

I think the time trials may actually be my favourite part of the game in a way, I just think they're so fantastic to play. There's an instant restart (unlike regular levels) and you don't lose any lives, so it has such an incredible addictiveness about it, the very definition of 'just one more try', the way you think about a level completely changes too and I've often found myself having to turn off 'time trial mode' in my brain and take levels slower so I don't rush things and die unnecessarily when playing through a regular level. The leaderboards are a great addition too, being able to compare your times against others is a great addition to the mix and makes you want to go back time and time again to try to get a better time in a stage.

Had some issues getting a Relic on another level for the first time in Crash 2, was just outside the target time on my first successful attempt and it took me another 3 goes before I managed it, great stuff, the 100% is still on for Crash 2!

My 100% dreams for Crash 2 are in shatters right now :(

I'm 2 levels from completing it, but I cannot do the Relic time trial for 'Spaced Out' to save my life, must've been at it for 2 hours earlier to no avail, will try again tomorrow and see if I can make any headway but it's not looking promising, the other level 'Piston it Away' looks rather difficult too.

What's surprised me the most though is how relatively easy the last warp room has been, the two Jetpack levels are weird but very easy in the normal level layout, the time trials were a little trickier but I nailed them without too many issues, there's one Aztec-themed level that caused me a few issues in the time trial but no major problems either, and there's another in the dark which was a piece of piss.

My completion % is about 94% right now, SO CLOSE, really hope I can do it.

I FUCKING DID IT!!!!!!

ncSkrLg.jpg

Honestly one of the most satisfying things I've done in games! Wasn't sure I'd do it for a while, spent 2.5 hours getting the relic for Spaced Out, but finally managed it today :D:D:D

Absolutely loved Crash 2, I did feel the gameplay loop was a tad repetitive though with having to replay a level 2-6 times to get every Gem, Crystal and Relic, going to give it a few days before starting Crash 3 as I don't want to get burnt out on too much Crash.

Unsure whether I'll go for the 105% on Crash 3 yet or not.

Went back and got a trophy I missed in Crash 2 (Paws Up or something), decided to try for a a gold relic on the first level to see how I got on.

Took me a while (somehow managed to finish dead on the required time, but it didn't count) but I got it without too many issues.

Went back to Crash 1 to try for the Gold relics on the first few levels too. Surprisingly I managed to do really well, took me a while to get the hang of N Sanity Beach and back into the controls of Crash 1 but yeah not too many issues.

This gave me some more confidence so I decided to try to get 5 Gold's to get the trophy. Amazingly, I managed to get a Platinum on my first proper run with the exact same time as a friend who plays plays Mega Man on Jungle Rollers, honestly couldn't believe it, thought it was silver but checked the leaderboard and realised it was Platinum, honestly couldn't believe it.

Another 3 levels after this and I had 4 Gold's and 1 Platinum for the Trophy 

I know these early levels are the easiest in the game but I still surprised myself how well I did in such a short space of time, I bet Native Fortress is a bitch though.

Moved onto Crash 3 after this and it's definitely the most visually striking of the three games.

The opening level set in a medieval fantasy-land with frogs hopping about and Knights with big Swords ( ;) ) was so rich with colour, the whole world was so vibrant and beautiful, it just popped more than Crash 1 & 2. They're stunning too compared to the originals but it seems like VV really went to town with the paint brush in 3 whereas 1 & 2 they had to hone it in a bit to keep to the original aesthetic of those games in tact.

3 is noticeably easier too, I'm very early in (just finished World 2-Level 6) but I wouldn't of died at all if it hadn't of been for missing boxes and purposefully killing myself on the Great Wall of China level. I think I forgot how many gimmick levels there are in this too, I mean on the one hand its a good thing as there's tons of variety on offer, but they do kind of feel like distractions compared to Crash 1 (and 2 to a lesser degree) which are much 'purer' platformers from what I've experienced so far.

Well into Crash 3 now, finished off all the levels in World 3, got all the Gems and relics available so far too, so yep you guessed it, I'm going for  100% completion I've decided.

I'll tell you what though, this has been the only game of the three that I've found myself looking at the clock a few times, the races and jet ski missions, I just do not give a fuck about at all. You need to replay them a minimum of 3 times too to get everything available in a level which only makes things worse, they have aged far worse than any other aspect of the trilogy, it just feels like one of those shitty mobile racing games with the controls for the Jet Ski and Motorbike, just awful and not fun whatsoever.

The Platforming levels have been excellent, you can see the evolution from 1-3 nicely and how much it has come on since the original game, with flourishes such as the hanging climbable ceilings (also in 2), better enemy AI and more varied and interesting environments, the overall level design is much better and flows so much nicer than some of the simpler designs of 1, I'm absolutely loving those levels but the gimmick ones I tend to roll my eyes at already, I've only just finished World 3 but already I've had enough of them.

So yeah, that's about where I am at the moment, done 3/5 of the levels in the 'secret' warp room and finished the secret level found in Road Crash 'Hot Coco' (which was a bit of a ball ache to get all the boxes in), I stupidly thought you had to get all of the boxes to finish the time trial for the relic but you just needed to get to the ! nitro box to turn it off to get back to the exit portal, I facepalmed at how stupid I'd been when I realised, my first time recorded was over 4 minutes :lol: 

I think I hate Crash 3.

As mentioned previously the platforming levels are great but they've somehow managed to take a lot of the challenge away now by one of the items you get after the 4th boss fight, a Wumpa Launcher, it kinda breaks the game. Having this means you can now hold down L2 and aim a reticle to fire a Wumpa fruit at an enemy in the distance to kill it, meaning there's no challenge at all in terms of enemies in a mission if you use this apart from the jumps/platforms you've got to make, luckily this doesn't impact the time trials but it kinda breaks the level design in a lot of ways. Played my first futuristic level earlier (one of only two in the game I believe) and it was a great level, nowhere near as challenging as 1 or 2 but it had a nice flow to it and some nice ideas, I was about a 1/4 of a way through, then realised I had the Wumpa launcher and breezed through the rest of the level like it was the first level in the game, completely broken. 

I now detest the gimmick levels so much that I get pissed whenever I see I've got yet another one to do, I looked up how many there are in the game earlier and there's 15! FIFTEEN gimmick levels in the game (well 13 if you don't count the Underwater ones) that's half the levels in the game! HALF THE LEVELS IN THE GAME, I really don't know what they were thinking, it feels as if Executives higher up had been telling them 'remember this is meant to be a kids game' after they put out the first Crash and this meant they toned down the difficulty a little in 2 (but still retained the fantastic platforming which made Crash 1 so great to play) but that wasn't enough for them, so they put out 3 as an effort to appease them.

I tried one of the Plane levels for the first time and it's just as bad as I thought it would be. You go around in a Plane and shoot 7 blimps then you're done, it feels like one of the mini games out of Valiant Hearts or some mobile game, just doesn't fit at all with the game, after this I had ANOTHER motorcycle level, literally :rolleyes: when I saw another one to do, thank fuck it's almost over, think I've still got 1 more damn Plane level to do :(

It's just so dumbed down it feels like a kids game, the only challenge is from some of the bonus levels, I've done almost every time trial the first time around and never stressed out or got stuck at all, just a complete breeze, will be very pleased to get this over with. 

10 hours ago, Jimbo Xiii said:

Wasn't 3 the first one that wasn't Naughty Dog as well? 

Nah, that was Crash: Wrath of Cortex (developed by Traveller's Tales), the original trilogy + CTR was all Naughty Dog.

Also finished Crash 3 today, getting the 104% was piss easy compared to 2's 101%:

IMG_20170713_180753.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...

My brother-in-law has this and my kids have been playing it when we go and visit. I had my first ever play of it last night and can honestly say I can't remember ever hating a game more. It's a bit like a second rate endless runner with god awful collision detection and character design that looks like it was taken straight off the work experience's school book doodles.

Blakey - I salute you're perseverance with this. I'd rather self perform a colonoscopy with a rusty coat hanger than try to 100% this game.