passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Costume Quest 2

Craymen Edge

So, I finished it on Tuesday. Since the console versions are due out soon I'll try not to not post anything too specific.

First off: it's more Costume Quest, so if you played the first one, you know what you're in for. It appears to carry on from immediately after the first one.

The combat is still basically the same, but Double Fine have added some simple timing elements to attacks and blocks, hitting the button at the right time will increase the amount of damage you do, or reduce the damage you take. There's also a counter system, but it's quite specific and I think I only used it twice.

Costumes now have strengths and weaknesses against different enemy types (I think there are 3 types). I don't think there's any transformation as good as the Unicorn from the first game, but I liked the Clown and Hotdog costumes. The Candy Corn costume is back, and I like the jokes they make with it.

The Battle Stamps from the previous game are gone and have been replaced with cards. Instead of equipping each character with one stamp that has an effect of some kind, you have 3 cards in your hand which you choose to use during a character's turn instead of attacking or using your special. Once used, it can't be used again for a couple of fights so it pays to switch up what's in your hand between fights.

I enjoyed it, even though the structure is pretty much the same as the last game. It's cute, relaxing and unchallenging, much like the first game was.

I had one issue: I triggered the final battle without realising it was about to happen. This combined with something that is not quite a bug to end up with me not quite prepared for the battle.

The not quite bug: there's a particular costume that you use as a way to get into somewhere. It doesn't have any combat abilities, and when I triggered the last battle wearing this costume, it got replaced with another for the fight - one I didn't really want to use.

• 2 weeks later...

I do really like the first one a lot but I have too much on and even thinking of getting another game is filling me with some weird guilt. Maybe I'll crack come Halloween.

And I reckon I'll go Wii U. Seems like something to curl up with the GamePad with. Plus Premium rewards.

I have some bad news. I've bought the WiiU version and there appears to be no Gamepad mode!

I could be wrong but there is no button to switch to play the game on the pad and all there is on there so far is a static screen of two of the characters falling through a portal.

Bit of a bummer.

• 6 months later...

I finally got round to starting this, played for about three hours. I like the changes they've made to the fighting as Craymen mentioned in the first post but it can get a little repetative, luckily the story is great and the world you play in is awesome enough for you to want to push forward. I've just got the wizard costume and learnt the defensive counter move, really want to play some more but Bayern vs Barca is on the telly...

Doublefine announced today that Frederator Studios (makers of Adventure Time among other things) are making a cartoon of Costume Quest.

Don't know if it's going to be on TV or online, a one-off or a series. But, I think it's definitely something that could translate well to a cartoon.