passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Sly's St(r)eam Tombola Thread: Children of Morta

Sly Reflex

Aye, I'll look into it, although I'm going to be a bit busy for playing games tomorrow. I'm meeting a mate for a game of snooker and then we'll probably end up back here with a crate of Guinness and Netflix 'til late.

For me, it's that in single player the puzzles would be so much harder and more frustrating.

In our case, we often resort to the old "I'll make a box and fly you over to the other end" to get the job done.

It does look fantastic though.

I'm not sure I'm going to enjoy Frozen Synapse. I just did the tutorial and now I'm more confused as to what the game is about than I was before I even started playing. The tutorial asked me to do something complicated for a noob, then basically went "Ah fuck it, it doesn't matter anyway!" and moved on. If it's in the tutorial then it has to be important, right? Walk me through it step by step so I understand, don't just show me how it should have looked.

We've not got off to a good start.

I think you need to have a separate friends list though I could be wrong.

It's been a while but you set a game up and invite me in, then we do our turns whenever each if us can, like Chess over email.

I presume my username is MrHendo though failing that just Hendo. There is a thread in the Games folder I think.

I've gone from super complicated to super simple.

You know what? I can't say I'm that enthralled with this game. You run, you jump, you die, you learn, you run, you just, you die, you learn. I feel no reward. It feels like I'm typing in the worlds longest phone number. When you spend the thick end of the level doing mundane stuff and the last few object in the level are the only thing catch you out, sending you all the way back to continue the mediocrity you've already mastered. It just makes my heart sink, sort of like when my gran tries to tell a joke and new people keep joining the conversation so it keeps getting reset until you've heard the lead up too many times to care what the punchline is.

Yeah, this can fuck off. It's just not fun. It's not a test of skill, it's a test of memory. A test of memory where you get dicked at the end of everything you've achieved because it likes to pull the rug from out under your feet. I could understand if it did it in a Super Meat Boy kind of way because that's making you develop skills. This is just a glorified QTE that rejoices by being a total shit.

I'm going to do a round up every 20 games played.

Disappointments. There's been a few. Frozen Synapse and Cave Story+, neither game lived up to what I was expecting. I was sad Renegade Ops wouldn't run right, that game seemed like a lot of dumb fun.

Surprises. Sleeping Dogs, Overlord, Operation Flashpoint, HOARD and RAGE. I knew that a lot of people rate some of these games, but I was pleasantly surprised by them.

I think to summarise I'd probably deal out awards like this.

Most fun was Sleeping Dogs. I actually think this title is way underrated, it's not a perfect game by any means, but it's a lot of fun and I think that's all that matters.

Biggest disappointment goes to Cave Story+. Playing that game felt like work. Not cool.

What have I learned elsewhere from the games I've played? I don't really like games made specifically for mobile on PC and that playing online on steam can get you called a "Fokken bitch!"

Best game, it has to go to Super Meat Boy. It rarely puts a foot wrong. The music, the design, the handling, generally everything about that game is crafted to a point where I can't really find any major fault of it. I think it's a 10/10 game for sure, even though it's really fucking difficult and tries my patience.

Worst game. Sherlock Holmes. The feeling I got when playing what little I played of that game is the same feeling I get when I'm made to endure some shite tv my really old relatives want to watch. That's the feeling of your soul being chinese water tortured.

Next game out of the box is one I've started but not finished. It's Orcs Must Die. I've no idea how far I'm in to it. I might be able to pop it off before Monday.

I forgot how much fun the OMD games are. Obviously the 2nd one is better because it has co-op, but I still think the first one has its merits.

The biggest thing is how the fusion of tower defence and action are balanced. It's the best in the genre by far. I hope the devs look into making another OMD sometime in the future.

• Sly Reflex changed the title to Sly's St(r)eam Tombola Thread: Children of Morta