passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Sly's St(r)eam Tombola Thread: DOOM 2016

Sly Reflex

I remember falling off with this game.

I really enjoyed the first one, and remember how rewarding it was to stealth yourself up and develop your ninja skills, walking around a building to find the one air vent that wasn't heavily guarded.

But DE:HR, just kind felt like it was punishing me for trying to be stealthy, some of the earlier level stealth skills just felt somewhat lacking. and I often found myself running away from situations or hiding for what felt like far too long.

There seemed to be little to no reward for being stealthy either.

Having watched someone else's playthrough where they went all-out tank when ammo got low, just go beat someone up and take more, instead of stealthily looking through every bin on the street just to get one lousy pick up.

I might give it another go, and spec myself out as a terminator.

I've played really oddly in this game. Sometimes I've shot my way through. Sometimes I've knocked people out. Sometimes I've used lethal takedowns. Sometimes I've talked my way through. Other times I've just sneaked and hacked my way past. Usually it's a combination of all the above. That's the best thing about this game, once you've looked over what's going down you can adapt and take it on as you'd like. It doesn't hem you in when it comes to making you follow a path. The flexibility in what you're normally allowed to do is quite substantial.

It has some really poor parts to it though that I've gone over before. You can read them further up, if you can be bothered.

• 4 weeks later...

I went back to this tonight. I'm pleading for it to end. I'm in a location now that I've not seen before looking for the people that the game is based around. Megan or some other. I don't know or really care.

On a sidenote, after playing lots of PS3 recently, going back to this makes it look stunning and smooth. I mentioned to H that PAYDAY 2 looks like a fucking dog on PS3 and that the variable framerate doesn't do it any favours. Although the games are from the same generation they feel worlds apart due to PC supremacy.

"Use the Typhoon" They said. "The bosses are a cakewalk" they said.

I walk into the 3rd boss fight, and then suddenly they take all my powers away. Not that it matters, I used Princess Diana's most hated weapon and blew the fuckers legs clean off his body, cheating cunt that he was.

Definitely in the last area now, I've to shut off some security and then go under the sea or something. There's looks to be a big area on the map, I reckon that's the boss fight and then done.

Annnnd done. Last boss was pretty good, why couldn't all the bosses be like that? Looked like there was many ways to do it instead of just erasing an invisible HP bar.

I think I got the good ending, although I noticed that there were 2 buttons in the end area that didn't have their protection caps raised. I'm guessing they're linked to other things you do in game.

I would have posted a pic of the achievement for completing this, although thr game spunked about 4 achievements at me in the space of about half a second, so I can't be arsed shifting through that to find the right one.

Really? I'd highly recommend the books/show, there's a good reason it's held in high regard. Though as you say, cunts love to bang out spoilers. The wanker that does TV reviews for The Daily Express did two massive ones for the final episode of series 4.

As for the game, I didn't get very far into it. The in-game text was utterly unreadable on my SD tv, even worse than Dead Rising. I could rent it again I guess, but I've enough on the go as it is.

I'm not sure whether I'm going to continue with this. It has some interesting stuff in it, but it reminds me of Dragon Age and I really didn't like that game at all.

If you're a fan of the series you could probably get a bit from it. As little as I know about GoT, I've picked bits up due to them seeping through into popular culture and it's clear that the people responsible for the game wanted to stay as true to the TV series as possible. I've not seen any of the bigger characters yet, but I'm sure they are in there, the Lannisters are mentioned quite a bit in one side of the story.

If you'd like to know more, ask. I can post the in and outs. If not then I'll carry on playing until I've had enough. I might get another session or 2 out of it before I decide to fuck it off.

"I'm going to pull this brothel apart board by board, and when I eventually find what I'm looking for I'm going to shove all those planks right up your cunt!" - Mors

I've got to say, some of the writing in this game makes me laugh. The game's not that bad either, it'd stand up on it's own without the GoT license. I like how depending on how you react to certain situations you can add buffs and nerfs to your overall character development. I got blood thirsty buff that give me a 1% permanent increase in attack because I spent ages torturing someone for information.

I'm liking this more and more as it goes on. The story is pretty intriguing. In no way is it top tier gaming, but it's fun for what it is. The characters are engaging, which I think helps with something like this. I wish the fighting was a bit better though, I might have to drop it down to easy as that's the part of the game I'm not enjoying.

You play 2 different parts. A guy called Mors on the Black Wall and another guy that's set 3 months earlier in the timeline called Alester who is a noble that buggered off for 15 years to find religion. When Alester comes back to his father's funeral he find that everything has gone to shit and that Cersei Lannister has order that his sister marries his bastard half brother to keep things afloat.

Without wanting to spoil it totally, Mors story plays out a chapter and then Alester plays out a chapter. As often is the cause, Mors has to deal with the fallout from Alester's chapter, sometimes you don't know that until you play a few chapters in. Alester plays more as a diplomat and a mediator with a smattering of fisticuffs when things go wrong. If you fail at any of those things it often ends up on Mors plate, whose background sees him protecting the wall and upholding the law at all costs. His course of action normally comes down to killing the fuck out of everyone and asking questions later.

The story has me completely hooked. It's one of those things where you get all this information and it all seems unconnected, then it pulls the pin and it all comes tumbling out and slotting into place. It's actually working both ways now, there's still 1 month between Mors and Alesters story, but stuff from Mors' actions have started affecting Alesters. I don't think it'll be long until Mors and Alester are working along the same time slot, I've no idea if they'll work together though as they have very different agendas.

Having spoken to someone that's read all the books and watched all the shows, it slots right into the start. From the conversations I've had it looks pretty seamless. They look to have done a good job making it all fit.

It's coming to an end now. Lots of people dead. Lots of rape going on. There's even a guy fucking a headless corpse. Or there was, I run the fucker through for his acts.

One more session and I should be done. It really depends how hard it is, some if it's been excruciatingly difficult. I've still not dropped the difficulty from normal, sort of hoping I won't have to.

Well that last session sure was a bit of a rollercoaster. Loads of twists and turns.

Not sure if I could recommend the game, the gameplay itself is kind of standard fare and there's nothing really to write home about aside from the story which is really good gripping stuff. Without the story I'd have fucked it off and not seen it through to completion.

If you've got an interest in it it might be worth googling what the story is. You get the good stuff without having to sit through the mundane stuff.

• Sly Reflex changed the title to Sly's St(r)eam Tombola Thread: DOOM 2016