passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Regular Show: Mordecai and Rigby in 8-Bit Land

illdog

I dont think this was ever going to be the best game in the world, I never expected it to be so my expectations were at the apropriate level.

So they took the retro angle. Kind of a safe choice really and one that ties in to the show seen as Mordecai and Rigby are ardent video game fans. I guess the danger going retro is that the gameplay could feel bland and repetitive and that would be an easy way out for the developers, just patch together a few old school platforming worlds and quota fulfilled. But Wayforward went and made it bastard hard, opting for a one hit kill and one mid level checkpoint a la Mario,

The first world is pure side on platforming. B to jump, hold Y to run and the X button switches between characters. Mordecai can double jump where as Rigby can only jump once but is smaller and can fit in to small places and under low platforms. You can get a power up (it makes them in to their redneck forms complete with mullets and jean shorts) that allows them to fire projectiles to kill enemies, it also provides them with an extra hit before death. Taking a hit whilst powered up reverts you to regular form and one hit away from death again. So you have four levels and then a boss fight. The first world boss is an utter cunt, I died numerous times before I bested him.

Second world grants you the ability to change in to a spaceship by pressing L or R in areas of the background covered by dark space. I quite enjoyed the change up from platforming but again its fucking hard. The ship moves pretty fast and you can almost scroll yourself in to enemies, you soon learn to take your time. Some of the enemies are fucking assholes with their pin point shooting, made more frustrating that you can sometimes get yourself stuck on some of the scenery. The boss of this world wasn't too bad once I figured out what to do.

Ive only done the first level of world 3, the hook here is that your can switch to top down view on certain parts of the background and it becomes like Ikari Warriors.

As a whole the games alright, fans will give it more time than non fans obviously, I mean I bought it soley on the strength of the show and I thought it would be fun to play a game set in the Regular Show world. I think due to its difficulty it will be picked up and put down by a lot of gamers, it's so easy to die and the first boss really is a proper cunt. I'm persevering though, i paid good money forr it and I'm dragging every last drop out of it.

Thaks for clearing that up PVA.

So you grown men cant differenciate between two cartoons predominantly aimed at children? What the fucks wrong with you both?

A couple of things I forgot to mention. In every level there are 3 video tapes to collect, adds an extra challenge if you're the anal type. Secondly, the music has been great so far, all retro NES sounding tunes and they've all been pretty catchy so far. One tune per world.

• 2 weeks later...

I finished this now. There were only 4 worlds.

The 4th world stopped introducing new gameplay mechanics and instead blends the previously used platforming, shooting and the top down action in to 3 overly long levels. The music was a re-use as well, a remix of world 2. Luckily World 2's music is super awesome so I was happy about that bit. I died a lot and the wife told me off for swearing but I was pretty determined to beat the game so I plowed on. I ddnt masively enjoy world 3 or 4 but there was something about the game that made we want to keep going, probably the challenge

The final boss is a fucking pain in the arse and went on for what seemed like a couple of years. It's a big Chuck Norris looking head with a thousand different forms, each more annoying than the last. Not too hard, just lengthy. Like a horse with a semi.

As whole its not brilliant. Its not shit either. Its just pretty average and kind of hard. Like Sam with a semi.

If any Regular Show fans wanted to borrow it just for shits and giggles I'd be happy to lend it yous in the old post like. Obviously being a 3DS game it's region restricted, so UK only.