passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Comic Book Thread

hinn888

So, catching up on what I've been reading:

Powers of X #3 - This one entirely focuses on one timeline specifically, that of Apocalypse and his war against Nimrod. Really good and feeds into the overall plot in a very interesting way. Can't believe we are at the halfway point of this book and the maxi-series altogether. 9/10

Fantastic Four #13 - Part two of Thing vs. Immortal Hulk. This really isn't a fight, the opening captions of Thing's narration grimly acknowledge that. What follows, is a good 3/4 of this book being comprised of the Hulk beating several shades of shit out of the Thing. There is of course, the reveal of the "real threat", but Hulk doesn't really care that he is being manipulated either. Although there is a distinctly "Immortal Hulk" payoff to that, which wouldn't have happened with previous iterations. The difference, addressing the problem I had with the last issues depiction of the Hulk. 7/10

Doom Patrol: Weight of The Worlds #1 & 2

STL123891?type= STL127437?type=1

So this book has been on hiatus for a long time. The entire Young Animal series has suffered such delays. Weeks to months to years. Although there was Doom Patrol #12 in the interim, it was entirely focused on secondary characters in a side story. That said, that was October 2018. The story that directly relates to this one, was the Justice League/Doom Patrol crossover - Milk Wars - which ended in April 2018. Upto speed? No? Too bad, this series goes surging forward with the fallout of that crossover.

This is not new reader friendly.

If anything it goes even more high concept than Milk Wars did (and that was pretty out there) To be honest, it left me at a bit of a loss. My previous 12 issues and the Milk Wars trade are in storage, so I only caught the gist in very broad strokes. The opening two issues were kind of a two parter, but not really. The change in artist for this relaunch, does jar though. Since they are not as good and the pages aren't quite up to the standard of either the previous "volume" or even the covers. 7/10

Just as in the case of FF, I'll give this book the benefit of the doubt for now. House/Powers of X are the only books I would actively recommend of these four series, to anyone new to them.

You can tell that is a Daredevil book ? It is an amusing quote but, Punisher, who has a body count in the thousands is hardly 'amateur hour' to Daredevil.

2494428-ghost_rider_wolverine_punisher_h

I didn't see DD being headhunted by the son of the Devil (Blackheart)

punisher-angel.jpg

Nor recruited by Heaven, for their Black Ops, based on his abilities..

Random comic book stuff I thought was interesting?

Guess who’s coming back lol

Spoiler

marvel2099alpha.jpg

They’re also doing this Conan 2099?

Spoiler

conan2099.jpg

Never one to miss a trick, with the newest wave of hype raising the X-Men back there must also come...a billion new X-Men titles sigh

Spoiler

FALLANG2019001_DC11.jpg

MARAUDERS2019001_DC11.jpg

NEWMUT2019001_DC11.jpg

XFORCE2019001_DC11.jpg

D_83nBAVUAAPEUI.jpg

Garth Ennis is returning to the Punisher, this time Castle is going after the Russian mob? I don’t really care about Punisher at all but Ennis is doing it well we will have to see

Spoiler

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdl

DC’s Young Animal imprint is getting a resurgence with several titles, this one is Far Sector...a Green Lantern book? Both the cover and the  description is quite interesting

Spoiler

uhjbi6yrdmn5isddsn23.jpg

Far Sector

From the minds of multiple Hugo Award-winner N.K. Jemisin and artist Jamal Campbell comes Far Sector, a story about Sojourner “Jo” Mullein, the Green Lantern tasked with protecting the City Enduring, a sprawling megalopolis where billions of people all live in relative peace because the city’s residents have been made not to feel emotions. Jemisin described her as a “frontier sheriff,” apart from the Green Lantern Corps. With the absence of emotion, crime isn’t much of a problem Mullein has to deal with. But when feeling begins to return to the city, a whole host of challenges come along with it, and it’s up to Jo to take care of business.

Nothing right now so squarely falls in to my venn diagram of non-interest such as Black Label and Harley Quinn but this cover is so fucking good you know, shame on me, I guess

Spoiler

5d03b434be7ff-Harleen-DC-Black-Label-Cov

He Man and the Masters of the Multiverse. Yeah. Last year (This year?) Marvel got the Conan rights and made him part of the comic book universe, is DC going to do the same here?

Spoiler

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdl

I was catching up on some comics this morning.

First was the new Batman/Superman #1. It was Ok. The art is really nice and clean

Spoiler

Ec-JmebJiWyTx26_5W5QYq0FfxR_8BNFZ8wXFCFz

But was also a little void of...anything, really. The 2 main problems was that the main “reveal” of the comic was all over the internet immediately and there’s no new clever insight into why Batman and Superman are friends. But it’s #1 and feels like it’s just establishing itself so beyond being fun to look at, not much going on over here. 

Next was Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man and this continues to be a delight. It is probably my favourite Spider-Man comic since...some of Dan Slott’s Spider-Man run like Spider-Island, Superior and Spiderverse. So about 5 years. It’s a really, really great comic that absolutely nails the fun and kindness of Spider-Man while also dealing out some pretty important things about the characters in it (Aunt May getting cancer, reopening FEAST, and introduces another new cop for Spider-Man to work with who acts like this has never happened before, but whatever). It honestly feels like one of the most genuine comics in my reading list. I love it.

Spoiler

WW6zyyFVVWVArYqmniSL8X0Dyxxhy8TQdKFUJhUV

3e_iHro5Pj90ok7VhLvUAAQwfetGl9xRIBDGy9gh

Absolute Carnage #1. I’m so confused. I feel like I’ve gone above and beyond in reading the material you really had to read for this event and I still don’t really get it. I read all 16 issues of the main Venom series, I almost remember the Red Goblin story in Amazing Spider-Man despite it being dreadful, I even read some of the extra stuff like Cult of Carnage and whatever. And I barely understand what is going on in this comic.

Why does Norman Osborne think he’s Cletus Kassidy? I don’t remember that. How does Carnage know about Knull? I assume it has something to do with the codices? But I don’t remember that. Why can Carnage infect other people and turn them in to Carnage-like drones? Etc, etc. It’s a fun comic, lots of cool stuff happens in it, and I’m sure all the story stuff is justified somewhere, I just don’t remember it. Anyway, Stegman kills it on the art and for a Marvel comic it gets quite grisly. 

Spoiler

e-JRkGDEW1A9Nu_Tp-93A00CFpcJ6Wf-sp8zMFEy

7Lx033fFWFL9-VmHysyYOH7eR0rFxUu8lVjyD7Dg

3qjvTtwr5MGUyJPS1wcNDfRhMOUmKPcuQg5XjT17

IguT02mn9GFH3DohvjH-g4m7vmr9ykKtzOA0hLJO

nS4lWEgcXHzoAe_ovTGIT0YaAouMzwf98jhKviA2

v7X_vrWfccGJIYuHIAevYOozFOK1W4Kg5ZdwARGj

And I actually read this the other day, but the big one. House of X #4

I mean, wow. 

Spoiler

hLn0_mfWyiRHuzD3VhGkfNWZguwasb-oWya4PXUZ

fSPE-eZKs1Wq6zCvCLGDjycELy891sRBvrDUUMQ1

Sx--Fv0fQRHesH-IgH0R0sbHsjLZX25slJ3xtPCH

Ut9X9z5xVN1wOF7n8P87o8oCzQlQ1gJ4e7JPeGDQ

oZwJQrCN8BtFwKT0pEWFx5V-k-8Mqy_LJgBsYESq

“No more”

This comic gave me honest to god chills. It’s just so hopeless for everybody. Not only the crew taking down Mother Mold, but even the humans aboard the station, and the general vibe of the greater situation. Everyone is bitter, angry, justified, sympathetic and all on roads there’s no coming back from. I can’t imagine how this series will end, but I think it’s already earned classic status and it’s only half way through.

New comic book day!

EEDXp8nW4AEMQpB.jpg

Big things happening this month in comics!

New Martian Apex Predator Lex Luthor enacts the Justice Doom War! The Guardians of the Galaxy become part of the new Universal Church of Truth! Anything and everything House and Powers of X! Peter Parker has a day off! Daredevil sleeps with a mob boss’ wife! Robin takes on Lobo?! Batman and Catwoman have lunch! And Jimmy Olsen must survive the Crisis of Infinite Jerks! 

Favourite covers of the month

Spoiler

eRVolRudhIprVxyJ1n_FUV_SUwp4IYHSYZrQ0R-Q

House of X #3

mkjWm6xCMyi7byCB1xkGXF3dHMRWnCTSwNJAte4i

House of X #4

_YIUsG0wRM5FVT9RUUQAUQBxTwJqPF93GaZZWtSb

Batman #77

Wboxyc3VOAFLfpqa-gBBqJoSNUSk5XPrqI6BkFGs

Legion if Superheroes Millennium #1

zF_ccNuef7XIXuNyZM0T5562__cR0xuZ7u8vXJba

Captain Marvel #9

qFAD4rslNwpNUj6ejPoYEU3ZkejgpOGQMhl0Y056

Lois Lane #3

Powers of X #4

3mIQUq5kgPIViAIVWzg8Tb-uPGQ70ql4qvYzq1Cx

To me out of every issue of HoX and PoX this has been the weakest one yet. I don’t think it’s bad, just there are obviously plot points and some developments the audience needs to know, I guess, and this is where they deliver that. 

I think some of the plot points, retcons and, uh...character changes are interesting. But this was the first book not to have a “Holy fuck” moment(s). 

Spoilers

Spoiler

i7WZ_6BRsdzVCFuTYlae0wD_rVrTCTQytZ56O3k4

5QMrsz6EfZTlaYJ0Gd6du3mjSTHxFAiJ_Yi8enyn

XhwYX0Ov_xk_j5mVL4SYRkFKrycfWvpsHI-uFusi

5N-qEppUXGTiWIWN0K8wqpcmm_V3yL6RuKcnWotT

O9XCM4EJCLgmvE1h7v5KBUGlUdPzW4NBljt3neEc

Rphc40pqmaymqwgYkPUOx1DAYRyL1HdfhSphHzcG

hCoeAVb8_PLCV5rTPhYlbh5JonoUDkVF496umIt7

Also this is the most complicated paragraph I’ve ever read

She was a member of the Justice League of America at its relaunch, but left the team due to injuries sustained in Final Crisis. Kendra and the original Hawkman (Carter Hall) were killed during the Blackest Night storyline; Katar Hol had been killed previously in a final battle with the Hawkgod, and Carter Hall, who had reincarnated in a new body, replaced him as Hawkgirl's partner. Carter and Shiera were resurrected after Blackest Night, but Kendra has since been killed again.

I’m going to try catch up on comics today and don’t want to spam and make multiple posts so will just update this one.

#1 I finished Rosenburg’s X-Men, finally. A series that I thought was really boring most of the way through, and you know what? The last 4 issues bought it back. I’m not going to say it redeemed the series, I don’t remember most of what happened in it and the bits I do remember make me not want to revisit it. But that was a satisfying if hollow and ultimately redundant conclusion because Hickman runs the X-Men now so I assume none of this shit is going to matter.

One of the crazy, and not in a good way, thing about the series is the body count. In the last 4 issues alone Illanaya (?) dies and becomes a demon, Havok pulls a Vegeta and sacrifices himself in a big explosion, Juggernaut gets the Cyttorak gem ripped out of him, Dark Beast gets his head chopped off, Multiple Man and Warlock die, Banshee gets crushed to death, some random X-Men enemies I really don’t know anything about eat it. Oh, even outside of these issues in this series Blindfold died, Wolfsbane died, Anole died, and a bunch of semi to very obscure X-Men characters I don’t know. 

But in the end it won’t matter because of HoX and PoX, anyway. Even the book ends on a self defeating panel of tiredness and inevitability. I did enjoy this, though. 

Spoiler

EEa9F4IW4AEbULk.jpg

#2 Spider-Man: Life Story. I don’t know what it is with Zdarsy wanting to make Spider-Man a hero who saves the earth and has space adventures (I mean he has done those things, but they’re not exactly bread and butter Spider-Man stories). And yet here we are again. Except this time it worked. No exaggeration, I can’t tell you why, but this made me well up. This was lovely, but hard to read. I don’t know why it made me almost cry

Spoiler

II0T6cXCRNqcPcORcC7IOG239JOML7xoFUOI7ZDm

M3g46YrItmp-VlovlsKu0g1hICksNDTybnCxmDBO

JG2MCY9qIqdydnGLRCQHsych9k9X6yXIqC9PfxFq

pUpU2j3piKLroc3uo4h_5u5GQIW6TdHepARB5zer

EwWwpKf0JDd8Vr4DUcxcBM5H81o291eUv9MOfjec

Sunday comics update.

Absolute Carnage #2

Though not strictly a Spider-Man event, this is the best Spider event in years. It feels modern and new, not treading old ground like comics sometimes love to do. But at the same time is based around, if you grew up reading Spidey in the 90’s like me, kind of an iconic Spider-Man triangle of characters. Spider-Man, Venom and Carnage. It’s a bit light on story, but the art is brilliantly detailed and very, very red 

Spoiler

rJIAtUCmp4eQxfWmHdtaxoRu9WI9aRJChqgGFb_m

mPCEAu7PS4GYAH9bUG6JH8wa4z5T62Rn6XVhEPhR

ewbx4VNfpKsBU1ZjZv5yRX531Y5rnfXe8YHXl48a

lLtT8hlMB-azNl9dtv1HPVXHDTU6gwIOJ1vjpVKT

L9TKldJUQzFD7KHvBFWkC9HIu0SlV1KTy5FKQURd

Superman #14 and Action Comics #1014

Rogol Zaar has finally been put down! And he’s...Kryptonian? They don’t explain what’s happened to him. I guess in retrospect it was kind of obvious. I swear, Bendis loves Dragonball Z. Particularly the action sequences have all the hallmarks. Moving in super speed, someone saying “You have seconds!” and then those seconds lasting minutes, people punching each other through rocks, establishing rules and then immediately disregarding them. And I’m all for it! There’s some really dumb stuff that happens in this comic. And I’m not over how they ruined Jon. But overall I liked it, the art is good, too (Except for Superboy’s eye I don’t know what happened there lol). 

I’m waiting for the inevitable Rogol Zaar vs Doomsday fight. 

Action Comics continues to be the opposite of it’s name sake. It just slowly rolls along with people talking about Leviathan and nothing really happens. 

Spoiler

kev5WvyDdOZuLrhArL6scO1JZm4XWDaY_AXMMTtz

l3T9I4aGKyqedUobogvf2p3WvP1eeQsQFDCDHrra

dQER4HBy7FuhC6LTESX42FPnkg19ZlU76bqZgZSe

sMmLX0wtMYuy1KJ8mZ4uyQPY-Q49IARjCS49yJrw

n61CGchRue6kYVKfab-WySUpSpcSI4BI1aZY7504

Meanwhile, whatever that hiccup was with Forbidden Planet, yesterday pretty much everything turned up:

House of X #4: Wow, that was bleak. Instantly puts the opening panels of HoX #1 into context though. 9/10

Powers of X #4: I really don't like this depiction of Sinister. I first noticed it in Hickman's Secret Wars and I really don't care for this characterisation. It dumbs down a centuries old geneticist and schemer, into something from Blackadder. Meanwhile there was a lot of tertiary lore and world building. Although I'm not sure if Hickman is trying to say this Krakoa is the same one they launched into space in Giant Sized #1 or the "child" that was introduced in Wolverine and the X-Men? 8/10

fantastic-four-14.jpg?w=640

Fantastic Four #14 - Slott is going for something a bit different here. The FF are heading out to complete the ill-fated course of their original mission. Franklin and Valeria are written out of the story as they don't see the point and the FF reminisce over FF#1. It is fine, as is the rut this series seems to have settled into. 7/10

c5ebce958e6031a1e262c3a64e01b6b616aaef99 

Doom Patrol weight of the worlds #3 -  This was an improvement over the previous issues. We are reintroduced to prior team members, Beast Boy (on the cover) and another more central to the plot. A kind of one-and-done Dystopian future, with some interesting ideas and it doesn't just throw in weird for the sake of it, unlike the previous issue. 8/10 

Some classic covers:

tumblr_pw3fycvacr1rzidn1o1_540.jpg

^This one has always made me chuckle...

tumblr_pvr1s2AFTP1rnvulyo1_640.jpg

Weird how so many of the original What If? Stories were picked up on years later by other writers for main continuity stories.

tumblr_pkshkad2KB1wr0v5w_640.jpg

Not really a cover but, it is always interesting to see how much thought and detail goes into tertiary aspects of comics.