passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Mario and Luigi: Dream Team

Pikman

AKA: The 12 hour tuturial (which is as far in as I am and it's still going).

So far, I am half enjoying this, half finding it frustrating that there is constant hand-holding. Even when you reach a point, can see a puzzle and probably it's solution too, someone pops up to say 'hey, why don't you use this technique here?'. WHY?! Then you have to repeatedly press 'A' to get past all the text, again... Then you 'solve' the puzzle, wahey you are a clever boy...

I think Nintendo need to reshape their clue structure, at the beginning of a game we should be able to select 'beginner' or 'super master' or something to alleviate this frustration.

This annoyance aside, I am really enjoying the game, the levels are well thought out, the baddies are cleverly (if rather oddly) designed. Some of the music grates after a while, any tune on loop for a couple of hours will do that I guess.

The story is as weird as ever, often I forget what the current goal actually is.

Maybe I am just getting too old for Nintendo RPG's. I am still playing it daily though so there is something drawing me back in each time.

Just passed 20 hours and still learning new moves... I have found a few instances now though where I am left to my own devices to solve a puzzle, which is nice. Long play time to get to this point though.

I have just been given a new find and build type task, this seems like the game proper now and no more funny business with constant clues... time will tell...

Well this game can't be that bad, I have now passed 30 hours! I think I am on the last 'temple' now as I seem to have finally been left to my own devices (almost).

Honestly, I do not think I would pick up any more of these games now, far too much hand holding - there needs to be a 'hard' option available from the outset. Looks like the way Nintendo is going which is a real shame, they need to look to cover all ages I would have thought. Perhaps it is rare that people my age still play Ninty games?

40 hours, complete! No way I can be arsed to do this again on hard mode though.

Cool battles at the end, definitely got my moneys worth but likely won't pick the next one of these up no the Nintendo 4DS or whatever unless they make it harder from the off!

I'm pretty much at the end of this too. Just defeated one of the main antagonist's cronies and working my way to what I assume will be the last boss.

It's fun, and I loved the Russian dudes in the mountains, but it feels like Mario & Luigi by numbers at this point. Like you said, I doubt I'd be picking a sequel up unless it dropped all the handholding, which is a shame as it used to be one of my favourite series.

• 6 months later...

I'm glad there's a thread for this, I've been inching my way through it, and while I wanted to post something about it I wasn't sure I had enough to say to start a thread.

I'm 'only' 12 hours in but I agree with Wildejon and regemond, it's not a bad game it just gets in its own way constantly. For a game as easy as Dream Team is it's such a slog to get through, it's a frustrating game to play because you're rarely allowed to play it before getting stopped and told something, then shown something, then asked if you understood. It'd be better if it was funnier, there's only been one line that's made me laugh so far so I'm not exactly itching for more script.

What I wanted to say though is that Dream Team is probably the secret best use of the 3DS. In the normal battles depth starts to matter, then there's special moves where the 3D is really important, then there's tilting, rotating, touch screen stuff. It's a shame that stuff wasn't recognised, but then I also wouldn't mind if I'd never started it. Hopefully it improves, but it looks like I have to wait until around the 30 hour mark for that