passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

radiofloyd

I preordered it via the getgamesgo deal I posted recently.

Incidentally, I forgot about this photo I took at Eurogamer Expo. They had a bunch of XCOM demo stations there using mouse & keyboard as you'd expect, and a couple of units presumably to show how it plays with a controller. But instead of just plugging a 360 pad into a PC or console, they built these little cabinets with weird arcade style controllers.

IMAG0327.jpg

I want an XCOM cabinet.

Edit:

prel.png

:) Dunno when exactly it unlocks, though. It'll probably sit there locked and taunting me until Friday.

I played for a few hours last night, it's really good. I meant to just play a little before putting on Dishonored for a try too, but I kept doing "just one more" mission. I think this could be really addictive.

I might have to stop customizing and naming my soldiers though. I was mightily upset when Shotgun Jackson (my 7-mission veteran with all the cool gear) was caught out of position and murdered in the face by a Thin Man who turned up unexpectedly. Better not to get attached :weep:

God this is addictive. I was planning to spend the weekend playing Dishonored but ended up playing a ridiculous amount of XCOM instead.

In my opinion this game is a masterpiece. I have fond memories of the original and of course there are some big differences, but this is one of the most focused and tightest remakes/reboots there's been in a long time.

It's definitely not a game to be taken lightly. Similar to Demon's/Dark Souls, if you rush ahead and get caught with your pants down, you're gonna get fucked over and start losing soldiers, or worse, have countries leave the project taking their funding with them. As difficult as it is, there hasn't been a single situation where I've thought the game was being unfair. Any tough situations I've found myself in have been my own fault because I've either spread my operatives too thin or not anticipated what's up ahead. It's an awesome feeling when you overcome the odds however.

I wasn't brave enough to turn on Ironman on my first playthrough as I wanted to get a decent grasp of the game first. I've been trying to live with the consequences as much as possible though. I'll set a save at the beginning of each mission and will usually save again if I've been at it a while, just in case.

Just finished the first

Alien base

you encounter and panic has mostly subsided throughout the world for now. Didn't manage to complete that mission in time to stop Argentina pulling out of the project though :(

I need to capture one of the Outsider guys from a UFO, but I'm having trouble getting my redshirts close enough without getting damaged or accidentally killing the Outsider.

I ran into Mutoids for the first time last night. Literally. I accidentally sent a guy crashing through a door and into an unviewed room, instead of taking cover by the entrance like I meant to. He ended up out of cover facing 3 of them, and promptly got murderized.

I then discovered Mutoids throw grenades when one downed 2 of my guys hiding behind a lorry.

I got out of that mission with 3 dead, and the other 3 wounded out of action for long periods. Panic levels are getting pretty high in several places, India & Japan have pulled out. This could be where things start to fall apart.

Edit: I mean Mutons... Mutoid man is an enemy in Smash TV.

Once things start to spiral out of control, everything goes down the shitter pretty quick. It'd be cool to be able to have a pool of missions from each country sorted by panic level. Having to wait for a random event like an abduction or a terror mission for a specific country can be annoying, especially if all three choices of mission are in countries that already have the lowest panic level.

Satellites do a decent job of quelling the panic but they're little more than one use items that give you some bonus cash. Luckily you can stave off panic across the world by completing story missions but in between those missions you're living on the ragged edge constantly.

Love this game!

One thing I don't love is when you're faced with two groups of Chrissalids at once. Those things can fuck right off dry.gif

Things went from bad to holocaust when a couple of missions in a row threw the combination of chrysalids and a cyberdisk at me at the same time.

I lost nearly all my experienced troops and a bunch of countries. Rather than play out the inevitable, I started a new game. I'm focusing research on armour and weapons for this opening couple of hours, instead of a little bit of everything.

I'm doing a little better this time round, though I have lost a couple of countries due to the time and expense of getting satellites up.

My guys are a little tougher this time, I'm making sure they're all kitted out with carapace armour and lazer weapons as a minimum, and I'm starting to work on plasma weapons. I managed to take down the first cyberdisc I came across much easier this time.

I'm trying to build up a bit more military strength before going for the alien base. I had a bit of a setback last night when I accidentally triggered 7 Mutons at once and lost 3 of my best guys.

This game still has me really hooked.

• 9 months later...

2K and Firaxis Games have announced XCOM: Enemy Within, an expanded experience of last year’s XCOM: Enemy Unknown, coming to PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PC, and Mac internationally on November 15.

The game adds new abilities, upgrades, and weapons, as well as new maps, tactical and strategic gameplay, and multiplayer content.

Here’s the full list of new features:

• New Soldier Abilities: Research a new alien technology to advance the capabilities of operatives:
    • Gene Mods: Construct the Genetics Lab to physically enhance operatives’ abilities, including augmentations to the chest, brain, eyes, skin and legs.
    • MECs: Build the Cybernetics Lab to enable the construction of the new Mechanized Exoskeletal Cybersuit, or MEC. The new MEC Trooper class has specialized abilities and each suit can be upgraded with new weapons including the flamethrower, grenade launcher and more.
  • New Weapons and Equipment: Give operatives an extra tactical edge with new projects from the engineering team in the Foundry;
  • New Enemy Threats: Adopt new tactics to counter the threats from a host of new enemies, including the Mechtoid;
  • New Strategic Resource: A valuable new alien resource, known as Meld, has been discovered. Secure it on the battlefield and use it carefully back at base to unlock new research and upgrades;
  • New Tactical Challenges and Maps: Face new tactical challenges, on nearly 50% more maps;
  • New Multiplayer Maps, Units and Abilities: Create custom squad from a wider array of options and dominate opponents in intense, one-on-one, turn-based matches.

On PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, the game will be available in a $39.99 Commander Edition that expands the XCOM: Enemy Unknown experience with the new Enemy Within content and add-on content previously released for Enemy Unknown. On PC and Mac, the game will be available for $29.99 and feature additional content that can be enjoyed with previously purchased copies of XCOM: Enemy Unknown.

Watch the debut trailer below. View the first screenshots at the gallery.

http://gematsu.com/2013/08/xcom-enemy-within-announced