passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Ridge Racer Unbounded

illdog

Didnt expect this to pop through my letter box yesterday.

If you like arcade racing games you'll like this. I very much do and this is arcade TO THE MAX. You bounce of walls if you hit them side on, the sliding is ridiculous and you jump like crazy and land like it was no thing.

Its basically Split/Second called Ridge Racer (not as rubber bandy thankfully, so far anyway), although the destructable scenery is more for shortcuts than taking out other racers, although you can cause collatoral damage if you time it right and you can also hit oil tankers conveniently parked on the side of the road specifically for mass takedowns.

Its based in the fictional area of Shatter Bay with 7 districts each containing 7 events i think. The events i have come across so far are:

Domination - win the race and fuck everybody and everything up. Slide using B to build up power, use power to destroy.

Drift - like Grid/Dirt 3/PGR4 etc slide the car around a bendy track to get points

Speed Demon - more just racing, less destruction

Frag Attack - Burnouts Takedown event called something else.

One i cant remember what its called but you drive a Big Rig cab through a track and smash cop cars, just like an event in Split/Second. Its super fun.

Ive never played a FlatOut game so i cant make comparisons, but this is heavily influenced by Burnout and Split/Second (one could argue Burnout is the junction point and all other action arcade racers come from there these days). The handling is heavier, i cant work out the sliding 100%, im ok most of the time but sometimes despite doing what ive always done i'll completely loose control.

When you press the power button to become badass there have been a couple of time where ive hit enemy cars and i havent fragged them. This could be because i wasnt going fast enough or the angles have been slightly odd but when im in power mode i just expected to fuck up all who touch me, the computer doesnt seem to have these qualms.

Havent tried the online yet but i have had a little play with the track editor. Its very easy to use indeed, you can make your own city with up to 5 events. Ive made one with three events in so far, a domination, a drift and a frag attack. Its easy to put the courses together, its like playing Pipe Dream without the flowing liquid. Go in to advance track editor and you can litter the course with destructables and ramps via a camera that you can drive around the actual track.

This is Castlevania all over again. The reboot is so drastic the the origin is almost unrecognisable. The difference for me personally is that I like this make over's direction. Which reminds me that i need to replay Castlevania again with knowledge and acceptance of what it now is.

Any, people buy RRU so we can play online.

good impressions illdog, i look forward to getting this on rental. looks like a sequel to flatout ultimate carnage, which was pretty good - about as good as burnout/split/second imo. but then, while i like them, i'm not a massive fan of thoes games so...

Ive managed to get all three starts in the first area but fuck me if the difficulty hasnt ramped itself up a notch. I gave up trying to three start area 2 for a while, got at least two starts on each event and moved on to the third area where i'm just getting destoyed. Could do any better than 6th or 7th in the domination races.

I thought if i try to get through some events, move to different areas and level up i will unlock better cars, but for some of the races i'm struggling in ive unlocked all the available options. I must be doing something wrong then, attacking the levels in the wrong manner, maybe trying to destroy too much and not racing enough although smashing certain buildings does result in you flying through the air which is another good way to build boost. Must need a good balance of both on reflection.

Related to the above, Ive found its first similarity to Ridge Racer in the way that 'power' or turbo charges. Once used, you can get it to charge extremely quickly if it runs out whilst you are drifting round a corner. This needs to be more of my game plan, it was the only way to win the hard races on Ridge Racer 6.

Perseverance is the key. Onwards i tell you.

Since i shouted at it this morning the games had 10 hours to think about how it was acting. I got home and obliterated all but one of the events with 3 stars, went on to the third area and got 3 stars in the next 5 events as well. Let that be a lesson to the rest of you games.

Related to the above, Ive found its first similarity to Ridge Racer in the way that 'power' or turbo charges. Once used, you can get it to charge extremely quickly if it runs out whilst you are drifting round a corner. This needs to be more of my game plan, it was the only way to win the hard races on Ridge Racer 6.

Played quite a bit of this now and enjoying it. Unlocked loads of citys but still struggling in some of the events. There's one city where I've got a decent score in most of the events but still can't unlock the next race. Need more points innit. Some of the time trial events are ace with the banked corners and jumps and stuff. Nice ultimate charge tip illdog, I'll have to try that out.

Unlocked loads of citys but still struggling in some of the events. There's one city where I've got a decent score in most of the events but still can't unlock the next race. Need more points innit. Some of the time trial events are ace with the banked corners and jumps and stuff. Nice ultimate charge tip illdog, I'll have to try that out.

I think it works anyway. Let me know!

I had the same points problem on the third area, I was 2000 points short to unlock the sixth event despite having three star'd the previous five.

• 4 weeks later...

Was playing this a lot when the forum went tits up. Overall i found it to be excellent. Broken, but excellent. I managed to three star every event, then i went on to the online bits. Unfortunately, the online is so broken that the game cant hold 8 people together at any time. Ive been lucky to play with three or four racers , sometimes just one other and sometimes i cant find a game at all. You can get a full lobby, then one by one it boots out everyone until your just on your own or with one other person. Sometimes it has a full lobby but wont load a course to race on so you all just sit there. I'll be leaving this alone until there is an online patch. Real shame.