passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Returning to factory settings

HandsomeDead

As title. I'm selling my laptop and I'm trying to get get it back to factory settings or format the HDD or something. I've got no software that came with the laptop anymore so I can't do it that way. Googling the problem just threw up many answers that confused me.

The laptop is a Dell Inspiron if it helps.

Ta!

is there anything on the boot menu (as it's loading hit whatevers prompted, some have TAB some F12 or F8), sometimes you can restore/repair from there. Dont reset the bios though.

Failing that you're going to need a windows disk from someone/somewhere

What's it's model number mate?

If you can give me the model number, I'll see what I can do.

The other alternative is to re-install windows, and then track down all the correct drivers for it. I've done this loads of times, but I wouldn't recommend it for a novice.

The other alternative is to re-install windows, and then track down all the correct drivers for it. I've done this loads of times, but I wouldn't recommend it for a novice.

Driver magician before you format. Works a treat and no hunting needed.

Driver magician before you format. Works a treat and no hunting needed.

True Jimbo, but many "Good" manufacturers have all the drivers on their web pages now. Although I will say the drivers page for the motherboard I currently use is so slow that it constantly disconnects, and corrupts downloads. I would go with Driver Magician too, unless you have driver issues to start with.

Where would the model number be? All I know is what I've already put up.

Where would the model number be? All I know is what I've already put up.

It should be on the bottom of the computer, there will be a barcode sticker with the serial number on it...or it may be underneath the battery

I think this is how to do it, although those codes you supplied were not the model numbers.

1 Turn on the computer. During the boot process, a blue bar with www.dell.com appears at the top of the screen.

2 Immediately upon seeing the blue bar, press <Ctrl> + <F11>. If you do not press <Ctrl> + <F11> in time, let the computer finish starting, and then restart the computer again.

NOTICE: If you do not want to proceed with PC Restore, click Reboot in the following step.

3 On the next screen that appears, click Restore.

4 On the next screen, click Confirm. The restore process takes approximately 6–10 minutes to complete.

5 When prompted, click Finish to reboot the computer.

NOTE: Do not manually shut down the computer. Click Finish and let the computer completely reboot.

6 When prompted, click Yes. The computer restarts. Because the computer is restored to its original operating state, the screens that appear, such as the End User License Agreement, are the same ones that appeared the first time the computer was turned on.

7 Click Next. The System Restore screen appears and the computer restarts.

8 After the computer restarts, click OK.

Worst case senario, I can supply a Windows disc for you to borrow. If you let me know what kind of Windows it was running, I can post it to you. You should have a Windows Key Code sticker on your laptop, and that is the code you would use to install Windows.

CTRL & F11 does nothing. F2 brings up a menu but I can't do anything useful from there. But I appreciate the help.

I've asked a freind to get hold of a Vista disc but if he can't get one I'll send you a PM with my address.

Ok Mate. :D