passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Section 8: Prejudice (XBLA/PSN)

Sly Reflex

Did you like Battlefield 1943?

Do you like the styling of Halo?

Did you like the rolling game types of Killzone 2?

Do you like tower defence games?

Because that's what the multiplayer is like on this. 16 on 16 matches that steals Battlefields conquest mode and twists it. Each flag is a base that is surrounded in defence turrets. If you hack the base, the turrets become yours. If the enemy hacks the base after you have had it, a timer counts down and then the base becomes theirs, unless you can get in there and prevent the bar for filling all way up in the enemies colour by reversing the hack. Turrets can be blown up and will be repaired by drones that fly around the base, however, if you equip the tool, you can repair them for a few quick points. The repair tool also repairs vehicles and allies. Think of it as a versatile medikit that heals everything.

Going along side the usual capture the base objective you have meta games that happen while the game plays out. So far I've seen capture the intelliegence, stop the convoy, and kill each member of the enemy team at least once. It's like a game within a game and it works quite well, It's also good when all the team gets distracted by taking the objective so you can get a few sneaky captures in.

You are not fixed to a class, you can take whatever 2 guns you want in and whatever 2 bits of equipment you would like. I've noticed people putting down all sorts of equipment from AA guns, turrets and radar jammers. I don't know if these unlock or whether you can just bang them down somewhere in the menu. You get points for pretty much everything and even the most cack handed of shooter fans will be able to get kills because of a lock on feature that gives you a few seconds of bullets guaranteed of meeting the enemies face. If you don't get the kill, you are bound to have helped someone else take kill and get the assist on it. There is a ranking up system which seems to be set in stone that every FPS game should have as if it didn't people would complain.

The shooting could be a bit better, it isn't the worst I've ever seen in one of these games, but it isn't as tight as it should have been. Still, you should give the demo a go and see what you think. Myself I think it's 1200 points well spent before you even consider the campaign and the horde mode. In fact, I think the guys responsible for this just raised the bar as far as XBLA releases are regarded.

If you have bought it or tried it, what do you think?

Did you like Battlefield 1943?

Do you like the styling of Halo?

Did you like the rolling game types of Killzone 2?

Do you like tower defence games?

Yes

No

What?

No

In Killzone the game type changes on the fly without having to go back to lobbies. So in round one you might be assassinating the enemy leader. Once that's done you could be capturing intel. After that has done it will roll onto an attack and defend style game. It's totally random and it works really well.

In Section 8, you have the bases which are constantly been fought over, but you also have these types of missions running inside them. It sounds really messy, but it actually works really well. Their appearance means no 2 games should turn out the same.

I spent the evening playing the Swarm game type. It's like Horde except really fast. Also, you can throw turrets down like in the other online bit of the game to make life a bit easier. It's rather good. Some of the maps are crazy hard to defend though, and it only takes a slight team fuck up to lose.

As I put in the random thread, I really liked the trial, bar continually getting raped by the AA guns on the way down.

I've got enough to play right now so I'll pick it up when it inevitably goes on sale.

i tried the trial with some friends yesterday, main bad point was you can't choose to be on the same team in multiplayer. that AA gun thing i think you need to choose to land in an area not in the circles on the map (although if the other team fill up the map with AA guns where do you land?). i bought a mech suit which was nice. it's really confusing at first but i could see it being pretty good when you get into it, but the no teams thing is a big no no for me so won't be getting it.

(although if the other team fill up the map with AA guns where do you land?)

Yeah that was my problem, it was impossible to find somewhere to land without getting my bottom raped.

that's pretty terrible then if you can't even spawn!

As I put in the random thread, I really liked the trial, bar continually getting raped by the AA guns on the way down.

I've got enough to play right now so I'll pick it up when it inevitably goes on sale.

i tried the trial with some friends yesterday, main bad point was you can't choose to be on the same team in multiplayer. that AA gun thing i think you need to choose to land in an area not in the circles on the map (although if the other team fill up the map with AA guns where do you land?). i bought a mech suit which was nice. it's really confusing at first but i could see it being pretty good when you get into it, but the no teams thing is a big no no for me so won't be getting it.

You can pick what team you are in the game. You can pick which squad you are once you are in the game. Before you spawn if you look in the menus you can jump from squad to squad. If you look harder you can swap teams or even be a spectator.

I've not seen the other team fill the spawns areas up with AA's. That sounds like a right pain in the arse. I normally make a beeline for any enemy dropped AA and take it out.

You can pick what team you are in the game. You can pick which squad you are once you are in the game. Before you spawn if you look in the menus you can jump from squad to squad. If you look harder you can swap teams or even be a spectator.

oh right that's cool, we were playing with someone who's played it quite a bit and he didn't think you could be on the same team (unless it happens randomly), oh well, we'd have probably enjoyed it a lot more if we'd been on the same team, and so maybe bought it.