passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Single player only??

Manicm

Just looking at the hype for GOW3, and people clambering over each other to get the beta code for the multiplayer mode. I remember Halo Reach had the same frenzy, and mates at work who still play COD:MW1 just for the multiplayer.

Im beginning to think maybe i peaked too early with multiplayer, i was there at the dawn of time when multiplayer first started, hacked the college network so we could play doom/doom 2 multiplayer amoungst mates. All of us on our 486dx PC's tinkering the settings just to get the thing to work, then the college network hacked to enable us to play against each other was immense the jumping up amoungst the bays of computers, gotcha!!!

But nowadays, yes multiplayer does appeal but the oldskool type, 2 or 3 mates round a tele playing a multiplayer game against each other. Old skool mario kart or bomberman, just loved it and still do. My other half loves gears in co-op and other games where we can just sit next to each other, a cold beer some pringles, haribo and a general good feel about enjoying gaming.

Maybe MS has made multiplaying cold and distant, when all they wanted to do was to make the game accessable for all.

Just my ramblings, on a nice sunday afternoon.

I used to like sitting round 1 TV and playing MP but a lot of the people moved on from gaming due to work commitments and family. Online gaming come at a time that filled that hole. It didn't just fill the hole though, it grabbed the ball and run with it. You get people complaining that it isn't the same as couch MP, but whenever I get to play like that I soon get tired of it, it's more of a novely to me now than anything.

One thing that really annoys me is people saying that the atmosphere isn't the same. Because it clearly can be if you game with the right people online. People just need to commit harder with others that are wanting to put in and laugh at the good times and scream blue murder at the bad times. Seriously, it's the way forward.

I think its quite saddening that theres not as much split screen games as there was back were back with the PS2 and the the Gamecube. Used to get loads of people round playing Mario Kart, Project Eden, timesplitters.

Its quite hard to find local splitscreen with bots now. Kind of miss that.

Im hoping Timesplitters 4 will change that.

I'm basically the same as you Manic. I used to play Quake 2 and 3 online, a bit of Chu Chu, now it's rare I ever play online. I think the problem for me is that a lot of stuff requires you to act as a group, and I can't be arsed with that, especially if it's a group of randoms (I did have a decent night on Lead & Gold the other month). And if it's not a group then it's perk based or ladder based, and I just don't play those kind of games enough to not be screwed by the perk system or to not be the whipping boy for people to boost their score.

The last online game I spent any time with was Street Fighter 4, I was good enough to hold my own but there was the non-ranked matches to try new things out in.

I'd quite like to play through something co-op I guess, but the commitment is the problem, I don't have an xbl habit type thing, so it's not like I can just hit someone up like that. I do still like split screen stuff, and miss that since a mate moved to nam we don't do the whole 4 player pes/Fifa thing any more

I mainly play single player games but I do play a lot of multi, mainly on CoD with randoms. I'm not that bothered, I just don't plug my headset in.

Like Sly says though, play something like Battlefield in a full party and it's a great laugh.

4 mates and fifa with beers and pizza is a lethal but fun combination!! really can't remember the last time i had a few mates round and did this.

The japanese version of PES on the gamecube (Winning 11 6 Final Evolution) is my most played version of that game by a mile purely because the cube was so easy to shirt around and play 4 player. Everyone had at least 2 pads for it, so it was just a matter of me bringing my memory card, freeloader and PES

We used to hear "Rob Schnieder" about 5 times a game, I think it's japanese for "he's had a shot" or "long ball" or something.

I miss the old days of playing a game of gears 2 both teams everyone you know either in real life or on a forum just shooting tpseven bells out of each other and talking crap, I hope those days come back hence why I am back in this forum