passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Infinity Blade

Hendo

Where possible I'm gonna try and use separate threads, seeing as otherwise the folder is going to waste.

The first thing you need to know is if your iPhone or iPod Touch will run this at all. So here are the specs:

Infinity Blade is currently compatible with:

iPhone 3GS

iPhone 4

iPod touch (3rd Generation) 16GB and 32GB only

iPod touch (4th generation)

iPad

Infinity Blade is not compatible with:

iPhone 3G or older

iPod Touch 3rd generation 8 GB version

iPod Touch 1st or 2nd generation

iPod Classic or Nano

The game requires iOS 3.2 or later installed in order to run. Game Center features require iOS 4.1 for iPhone or iPod touch, 4.2 for iPad

It's made by Epic and is using the the Unreal engine but is not actually a full version of Project Sword as that may end up being something different.

Infinity Blade is pretty much best described as Punch Out meets Demon Souls.

You start off watching a cut scene of a man in armour getting killed by some kind of evil being, who's wielding a weapon called the "Infinity Blade" which is said to be a God Killer. The cut scene fades out and then it tells you that 20 years have passed and here you are, to avenge your father's death.

There's about 10 enemies to fight in all and you have limited choice in where you go and you also have a bit of light-gun style picking up items if you see them as the screen moves about the area. The battle system is pretty good though as with most fighting games I never understand parrying.

You have magic attacks but most of the time you will be blocking and dodging, waiting for your opponent to be knackered upon when you can get some hits in.

There's tons of weapons, helmets, armour, rings, etc that change your stats and you not only level yourself up but those individual items you have equipped.

Once you've mastered a weapon it will give you extra stats you can add to your character and then you can sell it for a higher price than it was before.

The cool thing is you get to the evil boss and you're about level 5 and he's level 50, no chance! He kills you, tells you he hopes the rest of your bloodline will be more of a challenge and lo and behold, it fades out and "20 years later" appears, and your son arrives to avenge your death and we start all over again!

You keep all your equipment, stats and money so it's not like it's a bad thing in anyway.

Oh, it also looks fucking amazing.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56XseC2DBB4?fs=1&hl=en_GB"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56XseC2DBB4?fs=1&hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56XseC2DBB4?fs=1&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I spent a good 3 or 4 hours on it last night. Very nearly killed the last boss but then if I had, I would've carried on playing anyway as I'm only level 19 and want to get to level 50 and get all the best gear and level them up.

In a lot of ways, it is like Farmville or something where all you're doing is grinding - there's almost no wandering around and it's just fight after fight, no real story and it's the same thing over and over.

I do love it though and it's very well suited to the touch-screen controls.

Everything's in-engine so with every weapon or inventory change, your character actually looks different, which is something every RPG should do. I'm always disappointed with stuff like Castlevania when you're meant to be wearing a funky scarf and clogs but your character doesn't look any different.

I've taken some shots in game, I'll try and get a good one of what my character looks like now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

So I've started the second one, no point making a second thread for it.

It had an interesting start, I won't spoil it but there's a definite tutorial section where you#re quite strong while they teach you the moves and then you lose everything and the game starts properly. That's where I am now.

In the parts I've played, the enemy design is a little better and the art style has made it look like it's set in Feudal Japan or something.

One odd thing is you now have a voice in English. American English, obviously, but still.

It had an interesting start,

i played this a bit last week when it was on sale, didn't really get into it, and didn't quite get far enough to see this intersting bit, shame but it's been deleted now as i'd run out of space, oh well.

Did you not get to the rebirth part then?

I'm on my 5th or so playthrough - not finished it, mind, you die and then start again, much as you did in the first game, but with a twist.

I think they've made some good improvements to the first game, not least in that the camera no longer lingers on the final death blow which always looked really dodgy and never actually looked like a sword entering a body.

There's more variety in the monster design, some are fucking huge! There's also a good mode called ClashMob where you take part in challenges along with thousands of other people, you need to log in to Facebook to use it though, which is never a good thing.