passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

making a game?

spatular

so i've been trying (well thinking about it at least) to make a game for ages now (not counting some simple ones i've done before) but i tend to give up easily, usually straight after downloading/installing various sdk's and stuff, more recently i went through an xna tutorial (http://creators.xna.com/en-GB/education/gettingstarted/bg2d/chapter1 - if anyone wants to give it a go i think you'd be surprised that its quite easy to follow, and all the stuff you need for xna is free) and modified it a bit, and now i've been adding some more stuff onto that, it's going really slowly, but still better than in the past.

the plan is to get something quite simple working at first, it's going to be a 2d shooter (massive surprise there), and i really like the block puzzle mid-boss in shikigami no shiro 2 so i'm planning to make something like that as a start, so a sort of cross between a shooter and a block puzzle game, if i can get some fun mechanics for this it could be the whole game but if not maybe it'll just be a boss or one level or something.

progress so far is quite pathetic really - the tutorial xna game has been modified so the ship shoots 5 streams of bullets in a sort of wide shot and moves all around the screen (although not up/left/fire at the same time due to technical limitations of my keyboard - stupid keyboard), and i have a grid of blocks on the screen at the top, i spent some time making it so you could choose how many rows and colums for the blocks and it'd scale them to fill the screen (which should have been easy but i struggled), but it seems like this method isn't going to work and i'll have to change it to make them more like normal enemies, which i'm not sure how to do yet, have been reading up on this today, (http://forums.xna.com/forums/t/55866.aspx, http://forums.xna.com/forums/t/5723.aspx) looks like all the enemies will need a list of actions to follow or something...

anyway thought it might be interesting to document the process a bit here, who knows might get me a bit more motivated too.

anyone else tried anything like this? i'd be interested in any experiences or tips anyone has.

...after reading some more of that stuff on enemy movement i think i'm ready to give up again, oh well. so this may be the end of the documentation process, it was good while it lasted.

Can't you join this forum you're looking at for advice on how to start and stuff? I don't know how it all works but surely they would give advice, maybe even some old code or assets to help you on your way.

I tried the XNA thing myself but after playing with it for an hour I realised I've always been crap at programming, even the simple stuff I did in 6th form.

Can't you join this forum you're looking at for advice on how to start and stuff? I don't know how it all works but surely they would give advice, maybe even some old code or assets to help you on your way.

yeah definitely, i think i'm already a member, and it looks like a great resource but i'm not going to be asking questions till i've read up on stuff first, there's probably loads of people that have been stuck on the same thing in the past.

and if anyone does give xna a go and wants any help with the c#/visual studio side of things let me know, i'm ok with that stuff, its more the 2d graphics/game side of things i'm struggling with.

Computer Gaming & Animation Technology

Erm started off very basic on Game maker, where we made a flash game, had to click on clowns faces to score points, then i changed it all to space like and had different size metroids bouncing around mazes at different speeds for amount of points and had a timer which lead to leaderboards.

Second i think it was Game Studio, where i made a 3D FPS. You had to build everything yourself. I made it where you start in a garden and fell down a hole into a maze, where there are zombies chasing you. Once out the maze a ginat minotaur awaited, which then lead to a tunnel with a light on the other end but you always end up dying...

Used flash as well to create a shoot em up, also done by points, time & leaderboards. You shoot bombs, if the bombs was near other bombs it will cause a chain reaction.

Used some other programme, cnt even member what its called but made a 3D shooter, you had a defense turret at the edge of a cliff and the objective was to shoot down alien ships floating towards you.

Used XNA, created a side scroller, You controlled a boy armoured in wolff skin and threw bones at slimes that attacked you.

Played around with the unreal engine too.

I have to say the best one is XNA but if u want to put the game onto the xbox you have to join this thing.

That is an option.

I still dont know what i want to do! My job hunting is going anywhere!

I know theres Jagex in cambridge who wanted people for Runescape.

Namco wanted people for phone games.

Ive seen others, i cant remember them right now.