passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle

HandsomeDead

After four hours of play I can tell I like this one much more than the original.

The main missions are the same deal, really. You go through a bunch of areas killing dudes until you get to the assassin you're contracted to kill, and then you have an awesome fight. There are a couple of different types of grunts here so a little more consideration to how you fight is needed. So far I've come across normal guys, fat guys, skinny fast guys and even oddballs with chainsaws. But ultimately it's so No More Heroes.

Gone is the open world like most will know and it's replaced with a simple but functional menu system. And the jobs you do to make money are replaced with retro inspired mini-games, some of which are really good. The only one I don't like is the pizza delivery one, it's a Hang-On style racing game but I've never liked 8/16 bit racers, even at the time. I think the jobs were intentionally boring in the last game, you know, 'cos they were mundane jobs and turning them into these mini games they're fun and still keep within the No More Heroes strangeness, so win win.

The gym stuff has also been turned into a retro mini-game but the strength building one is really hard, you have to pay to take the challenge so if you fail you lose money and don't get the stat upgrade, so that's where a lot of my money goes.

The only thing I miss is that there are no fighting challenges, you only fight during the main missions, sometimes just getting in a room full of blokes to kill is simple fun.

I think that's all I have to say about it at the moment, quite a bit better than the original in my humblest of opinions.

glad to hear you think it's better than the first one, while i really enjoyed that, could definitely see room for improvements.

only just started this, played the shmup game a few times, and despite my hatred of cats the rubbing the cats belly game thing is hillarious, and that's about as far as i got. shame about the bike sections going as even though it was a bit pointless i loved the rediculous power slides.

It's still a bit rough around the edges, but it feels slicker than the original. And yeah, the cat thing is hilarious.

And any of you's in London town there is a shop that has been kitted out like the one in the game.

174931-photo-1.jpg

It doesn't sell that actual t-shirts from the game (that would be too cool) but stuff in the same vain.

Oh, man. I'm so disappointed with the Shinobu missions, it's like regular No More Heroes stripped back and added shit platforming, shitter than DMC platforming. Those levels are like the new open world.

Though it was funny seeing Destroyman again, I didn't expect that. Shame the fight itself was hard work, but not in a good way.

I've just done the first full level. I like it, I like that the level was shorter, especially if you do have to do loads of assassin fights. The fight against the irish/scottish guy was a bit annoying, getting close was a pain in the arse, then once you're down and the camera turns you'll be dumped on your arse again. Everytime i got close i had to leg it to the bedroom again to recharge my sword.

Aside from that it's generally the best parts of the first game

I've just finished it. Saying it's the best parts of the first game is pretty much what it is, in fact the story is almost a retelling, not so much a remake but a remix.

The levels can still be a little uninspiring but it's full of awesome moments and characters, it's pretty close to Mass Effect 2 as my favourite game this year. I'm glad I enjoyed it as much as I did, I wanted to like the first one as much as this.

• 4 months later...

played a bit more of this today, not really got stuck into it like i expected, maybe just not in the mood for it at the moment, still the

giant robot fight

was awesome to the max.

went back to this the last few nights, definitely in the mood for it now - really enjoying it :D