passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Wahooo new xbox asia style

Oliath

Well i came home the other evening to find a brand new xbox 360 sitting on the table with a copy of Halo3.

Since moving out here i have been getting my gaming fixes from PC gaming. While this is fun it's a bit soul-less and i have really been craving xbox live for it's social sides.... i think my girlfriend noticed this and so finally grabbed me one as a present... awesome.

I woke up the first morning after plugging it in and managed to catch two of my work mates from London for a party chat and a game of Battlefield 1943 which was awesome. It really helped me feel more connected and back in touch with the rest of the world so YAY for xbox live.

Questions:

Will my games from the UK work over here?

I have no idea... can't find much on the internet. I am thinking of getting a mate to send them over but have a sneaky suspicion everything is NTSC over here... which is odd because all the power is 240 Volts.... yet on the back of Halo3 it says NTSC.... very confusing.

Second... i am using my UK gold account... which so far seems to work.

I also managed to re-download the halo map packs with no problems.

However... when i tried to download Gears of War map packs it told me i couldn't.

Am i allowed to do this or do you think i will get my account banned for using it overseas?

Also any idea if when i use matchmaking it will try to find games in the UK first... or do you rekon it's clever enough to go based on my IP / ping.

Halo seems to find games with no problem and be relatively lag free.... Gears of War.... well matchmaking on that game sucked in the UK so you can imagine how bad it is over here.

Oh i also managed to download Shadow Complex and Trials HD from my UK account but it wouldn't let me purchase Viva Pinata2 so i had to buy that from a shop.... hmmmm

A mate who took his UK account over to OZ told me a trick for downloading map packs where you set up a local silver account... and then buy the map pack / update through that and then when you log back in under your gold account you can use them... but again not sure if this will kick up any isses or explain why i can never find any online games with gears of war.

Finally..... if you see me online chances are it is actually my girlfriend playing viva pinata or watching movies... so make sure you send a picture of your nob or something.

Will my games from the UK work over here?

some will, not sure which ones though, well halo 3 definitely does but you've already got that. play-asia have a compatibility chart that might help? if not, if you have a list of the games and i have the same games i can try them as i also have an asian xbox.

also buy deathsmiles :lol:

Hmmmm not sure about the achivements.

I rekon they are the same tho.

Was quite impressed that both Gears and Halo actually retained my game saves in my live account.

I always thought this info was saved onto the xbox HD.

Oh and i found another thing out... you can plug a USB hd into your 360 and play movies directly from it... has this always been possible??

Annnnd.... i mailed microsoft support asking them about my account.

They said it is fine to use over here, and that my games and achievements will still work but i may have trouble downloading stuff from the marketplace if it is region locked.... sounds about right.

I also played around with my router and changed my DNS settings from the ones my ISP provided and all of a sudden gears of war matchmaking seems to be working better and with less lag.