passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Tales of Vesperia

CelShadedDreams

I hit my first wall last night. I got to a place called Ehmead Hill (or summink) and had to fight this wolf called Gattuso and he's absolutely kicking my ass. My dudes are all around level 15 and they are being wiped out pretty quickly, leaving me and the sometimes irritating battle controls to get on with it and the outcome is always the same. :(

Gattuso has 25000 hit points and my stongest Arte does about 500 (800 if combo'd with regular attacks), so in theory it should be too hard but he poisons you, knocks you over and is generally and all round bastard. I got him down to 1459 hit points and my character died, that just left Estellise and Karol (both AI) and all they had to do was hit him a couple of times each but noooo, they didnt even hit him once between them.

Apparently he's best to face at around Level 20 (you can dum the difficulty down to easy but im not doing that), so i have to grind for an hour, up to 17 so far. Ive also read that this is one of the biggest difficulty spikes in the game so im hoping after this its back to kicking ass.

I hit my first wall last night. I got to a place called Ehmead Hill (or summink) and had to fight this wolf called Gattuso and he's absolutely kicking my ass. My dudes are all around level 15 and they are being wiped out pretty quickly, leaving me and the sometimes irritating battle controls to get on with it and the outcome is always the same. :(

Gattuso has 25000 hit points and my stongest Arte does about 500 (800 if combo'd with regular attacks), so in theory it should be too hard but he poisons you, knocks you over and is generally and all round bastard. I got him down to 1459 hit points and my character died, that just left Estellise and Karol (both AI) and all they had to do was hit him a couple of times each but noooo, they didnt even hit him once between them.

Apparently he's best to face at around Level 20 (you can dum the difficulty down to easy but im not doing that), so i have to grind for an hour, up to 17 so far. Ive also read that this is one of the biggest difficulty spikes in the game so im hoping after this its back to kicking ass.

I got stuck there too, was a pain but it's the only time I've had to do some grinding in the entire game. Get the free downloadable content packs. There's one with loads of healing items that'll be useful for that. I managed it at 17-18 on normal, used so many items though.

Well, the save system's cack. Getting killed by a boss and then having to go back through a few more fights and wandering all over again each time is not fun.

However, I'm an hour and a half in and enjoying the rest of it. It looks superb, though the things that put me off JRPG's are out in full force - emo characters, a male hero who looks like a girl, awkward sexual tension between two strangers who will no doubt end up falling in love and saving the world, dodgy battle music, etc. Though to balance all that out, it does have a pipe-smoking dog, so it's not all bad.

I've just escaped from the castle having gone through the sewers so I've fought two different types of enemies and I'm still not sure what I'm doing in the battles. I thought it would be turn-based but it seems to be all action. Any tips of what to do? At the moment I'm holding the defend button down and hoping for the best, and then doing a one-two with the two different attack buttons.

*EDIT*

Was stuck, just found that I'm stupid and obviously need stronger glasses.

I've got a party of 4 so far, all about level 15. I don't really understand the Artes or skills yet - I've got one Arte that I used quite a lot and now has 3 green wavy lines next to it, does that mean it's more powerful because I'm more experienced in it?

I am enjoying it but the story is complete guff.

Double post fun.

I hit my first wall last night. I got to a place called Ehmead Hill (or summink) and had to fight this wolf called Gattuso and he's absolutely kicking my ass.

I'm at that bit now, when I got here my party was all level 18 and it just wasn't happening so I'm boosting them up to level 20 now. I did notice on his stat list thing that he's resistant/weak to air and fire, can't remember which way round it is, but the air move is the first Arte you get, Azure Edge, and the fire one is Destruction Field.

How do you choose who's in your party? I did think that only those active 4 in your party will get experience from battles so I constantly swapped them round to even it out and then found that it doesn't matter, that even people you don't use will feel the benefit. D'oh.

I'm exclusively using Yuri as my controllable character, though in theory I guess that you could control as Estelle and stay way back just using her as a priest, healing everyone, but I like to wield stuff.

I like having Estelle in the party to heal, but everyone else just seems to do the same so I'm not sure who else to have in.

I'm not using the block button much as it doesn't seem worth it as I can pretty much destroy everything really quickly, but I get the feeling that if I use it more I'll unlock new defending powers, anyone know if that's true?

I managed it at 17-18 on normal, used so many items though.

I grinded to 20 and kicked ass, i didnt need too many items because i stayed back and attacked him with Azure Edge alot, let Rapide and Karol do thier thing, had Estelise healing us and used Overdrive to full advantage when the Poison Plants at the edge of the battlefield knocked Gattuso over (yay secret achievement!). I did have to use the Pinapple and Lemon Gels tho, and i only had one of each so i hope either i dont miss them or i get new ones asap.

How do you choose who's in your party? I did think that only those active 4 in your party will get experience from battles so I constantly swapped them round to even it out and then found that it doesn't matter, that even people you don't use will feel the benefit. D'oh.

I'm exclusively using Yuri as my controllable character, though in theory I guess that you could control as Estelle and stay way back just using her as a priest, healing everyone, but I like to wield stuff.

I like having Estelle in the party to heal, but everyone else just seems to do the same so I'm not sure who else to have in.

I'm not using the block button much as it doesn't seem worth it as I can pretty much destroy everything really quickly, but I get the feeling that if I use it more I'll unlock new defending powers, anyone know if that's true?

To change your party members press Y to bring up the menu, you'll see all the characters in your crew below, the ones in your party are numbered 1 to 4, anyone in your crew but not in your party are numered 5 onwards. Just select someone from 1 to 4 with the A button and swap them for someone else (by hitting the A buttin again). Shimples. I only ever swap Estelle and Rita around, Karol and Rapede kick ass, Estelle is good for healing, Rita for attack magic.

I never use block either (well only occasionally) as the X button feels really unatural, i still go for the L trigger ala Streetfighter everytime, need to swith mentality. Control wise i only ever use Yuri, no real point in using anyone else.

Ah I should've made that clearer - I know how to swap party members, I was more asking how you decide which ones you're going to use.

I've gotten a bit further now, I'm in the next town and have finally met up with the guy you're searching for.

I've no idea how far in I am, but 10 hours in so I could still only be scratching the surface. I am enjoying it despite the stuff that puts me off JRPG's, like the stereotype characters, battle music and repeating dialogue after the fights.

I thought I'd finally have a look at the achievements for this and some are pretty insane considering it's a huge RPG, like use magnifying glass on every monster.

I thought I was getting pretty far but I haven't had any side quests yet so I must be still pretty early in.

At the moment I'm in this village where you have to fling yourself from blastia lift to blastia lift, it's a bit like a maze.

Yep, that's the bit. I spent ages trying to find my way through it as it was late and I was dying to find a save point (my main gripe with the game is that they tease you with a save button in the menu but you can't use it) and then I broke down and consulted a guide and found that I was just blind and hadn't noticed a staircase in one of the houses that leads to both a save point and the next bit you need to get to.