passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Viking: Battle for Asgard

illdog

I cant believe there's no thread for this game, its been out for over a year now. I guess its not twisted anyones nipples but i think you may find its one of those hidden little gems... Its by SEGA aswell, i thought maybe Ben would have had a look.

Ive put about 2 and a half hours in so far and very muched enjoyed what ive played. Its a hack n slash explorer where you play the role of the Viking Skarin, looking to stop the Godess Hel bringing about the apocolypse. This involves you running around the world of Midgard killing stuff and collecting treasure. Its got a few platform element that involve you climbing a few ledges and jumping a few gaps but its mainly about freeing regions of the world from the bad guys and rescuing captured Vikings to add to your army.

Before you can lay siege to certain towns you have to fulfill objectives like rescue a certain amount of captured comrades and finding a special item, then you and your army open cans of whoop ass on all and sundry.

The fighting is easy to master, there are a few combos to learn and new moves which can be bought in the training arena but its mostly hack with A (on the 360, i suppose X in the PS3) and finish with X (or O). You can sneak upon enemies, allowing for a one hit kill which is a nice touch and the death animations are brutal. You can also buy Runes to charge your weapon with standard fare elemental powers like Lightning, Ice and Fire. This again has a nice touch to it, charge your weapon whilst surrounded by allies and they get your elemental powers aswell.

The world is surprisingly easy to travel around, not massive in the first place but made very accessable by conveniently placed warps so getting anywhere is never a chore.

I only paid a tenner for it and so far ive got my moneys worth, ive read its only 10 hours long so i put it on Hard to make it last a little longer but its been a breeze so far.

funnily enough I saw this yesterday but couldnt remember what you'd said about it so didnt buy it. I've been reading Berserk again, and this sounds like that sort of ultra violence. It's on my list now anyway, big dumb brawlers are exactly what you want sometimes.

big dumb brawlers are exactly what you want sometimes.

Yea, its quite refreshing in that respect. Kill kill kill. Collect some treasure. Kill some more.

Just done a quite a nice little stealth mission aswell (also involved killing).

big dumb brawlers are exactly what you want sometimes.

Yea, its quite refreshing in that respect. Kill kill kill. Collect some treasure. Kill some more.

Just done a quite a nice little stealth mission aswell (also involved killing).

so...its a puzzle game?

I haven't played a big dumb brawler for years and years.

I went back and finished this earlier in the year after getting bored first time through. I loved the adventure sections but the stealth was a pain in the arse and the big battles were frustrating. Got a bit repetitive but you have to love a game that has a main character obsessed with chopping limbs off.

The big battles are immense. Ive just regained control of a place called Hodenfort (i think), this involved pretty much half hour of constant fighting. You get to call in your Dragon to take out large blockades or wipe out Shamans that make enemies re-appear, dragon calling requires dragon runes, dragon runes are gained by killing enemy champions (no simple task), easiest way to top champions is by using your elemntal powers, but these need to be charged by killing regular enemies..., so you get a picture of how involved things can be. Anyways, it was a brutal battle ending in victory.

This game is great.

I finished this last night, the final boss battle at first seemed pretty tough but once i knew what i was doing even on Hard it wasnt that bad. Learning the advanced moves form the training grounds is a must as the enemies are alot tougher toward the end of the game so you need to be aswell.

Overall a really good game, action a plenty. I got a certain amount of satisfaction everytime i liberated a camp from The Legion and freed my Viking homeboys, the somber grey colour pallette of the enemy infested land become colourful as the sunshine replaces the couds and the Vikings go back to their business all happy and that, makes it all worth while.

The only downside is that by the time you get to the final island your very familiar with the formular of the game - liberate the quarry, do a favour for the geezer in the quarry. liberate the mill, do a favour for the geezer in the mill.... Also, the final island is a little stingier on leystones (warps) and there seems to be alot of walking/backtracking till you figure out what to do.

Luckily this downside was more than made up for by a truly epic final battle. The trek to the boss afterwards is a bit of a cunt, only because there are a fuckton of enemies but i would have moaned if it was too easy.

Done maybe 45 minutes of this so far (probably not even that). I saved some dudes on a beach, then set off to a farm. Liberated the farm, then retrieved some lost cargo and rescued some more dudes from a cave. It's not bad, it feels quite basic so far, but largely because it dumps you in giving you more information piecemeal rather than handing you everything you need to know from the off.

It kind of reminds me of Fable with more blood and less sex. There's loads of gold around, which is nice, I've got 2 runes (fire and lightning), some throwing blades and a meal., next up i might buy the treasure map.

The only thing i dont like is the camera, it can leave you so you cant see the enemy, and its default is to helicopter mode, which I might as well leave it on now. So yeah, it's decent, hardly game of the year but nice and mindless so far