passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits [Wiiware]

HandsomeDead

For anyone waiting for that Lost Winds Sequel might want to check this out, on a basic level it's a very similar type of 2D platform/puzzler but the last third of this three hour adventure where you're fully powered up turn into quite a fast paced game which might come as a shock if I didn't just tell you. Another difference is there is no back-tracking, it has a normal level structure. The core gameplay mechanic is manipulating your surroundings, whether that be using physics and the Wiimote's pointer to move objects or manipulate the wind to get to your goal, it's mostly well designed and it's decent at throwing up new ways of using your powers throughout its rather short duration.

Story goes, Icarus, while flying about (probably somewhere inbetween beeing sloughtered by Kratos and being Hercules' dimwitted highschool buddy) met genuine spirit in the sky, Nyx. And after falling in love but then departing, Nyx makes her way to Earth to find it destroyed. You then take control to find out how, why and to find Icarus.

The visual style of this is great, it's minimalist but is consistently striking, mostly down to how the game uses lighting and with the large architecture that dwarfs the characers it's hard not to think of Ico, which going by popular oppinion, is good and I agree.

It's 1000 Nintendo dollers... and it's 3 hours long, there are collectables which are well hidden, I got half of them and I thought I was being quite thorough. A great addition to WiiWare, recomended.

Still need to buy this, gotta put some points on my account I think.

But I'm here because the name has had to be changed. Dunno if it's worth changing the thread name?

Icarian: Kindred Spirits, which was released only last Friday in Europe, has already run into some trouble - For some reason, the developers need to change its name.

The new name will be fairly simplistic by simply using the main character's name - NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits. The change hasn't been made yet, so we assume it won't happen until Friday, along with the usual Wii/DSi update. It'll probably come in the form of a patch - Hands up, who is not going to patch their game so they can have a rare copy of "Icarian"? :P

Over the Top Games have not revealed what exactly the reason for the name change is - But they have said it's not because of Nintendo's Kid Icarus.

This is the second time a developer has had to change the name of a WiiWare game - Not too long ago, the puzzler Bang! was changed to Bang Attack.

Even when it's screenshots were released without a name there were reports of it being a new Kid Icarus game. The new name doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

I think I prefer this to LostWinds, I keep meaning to go back and finish that where I milked Icarian (or NyxQuest) until it was done, I really enjoyed it. Not that I don't like LostWinds, I do.

Oh, and I don't know how to change topic names. :unsure:

I'm about 2 hours into this so far and it's very good. :)

The art style and play area are very simplistic but I'm not seeing that as a bad thing. It is very much like LostWinds, but with very little back-tracking.

I'm up to the bit where you're introduced to the orbs that will stick to you and then you have to waggle to get rid of them. To be fair though, if that makes you roll your eyes and mutter, "WiiLOL" under your breath, then A. you're scum, and B. that's the only bit of extraneous Wii controls there's been so far. The rest has been all normal controls with the nunchuck for moving and the A and B buttons for jumping and manipulating objects. Like LostWinds, it uses pointer controls for the moving of objects but that's about it, other than the current waggle, it's a very normal, old school platform/puzzle game.

I'm liking it. :)

I'm a bit stuck.

I'm at the bit where

you learn the ability to zap things with the B button, at the point where you have a load of blocks to zap to get past, with bigger blocks that will drop down.

Any help of what I have to do?

Cheers, I got past it before I had a chance to look back here anyhow, though.

I pretty much over-thought it and was trying to work out a complicated pattern but the solution is much simpler.

Good game, I think my game clock was about 5 hours, though I struggled on some bits.

• 4 months later...