passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Passage

Hendo

Is that the one that was mentioned on the latest A Life Well Wasted (and Joypod)? I may have to try it.

Yep, it's one of the Gamma 256 competition games. The constraint of the contest was 256 pixels square or less.

You guide a man from left to right, moving up or down if you wish and can pick up a spouse if you want, or not.

Runs on PC, Mac, Linux or can be bought on the iPhone for 59p. Download here.

It'll take up about 5 minutes of your time and then you should read this.

It's not a life-changing game or anything but it is something a bit deeper than "shoot the Nazis in the face".

Thoughts?

Sounds a bit like the community game on LIVE called "Time flows, but does not return". You should play it, then read the authors statement on why he made the game. It's didn't really make sense until I read the statement, but when I did it made me feel what he intended me to feel. You should play the game before you read his stuff though, as it wont be the same if you do it the other way round.

Download the file (presuming you're on Windows) and run it, when it asks you what directory it should be in, make sure you know where to find that folder. Then find it and run passage.exe

I'll have a look for that Community game, Sly.

I really like it as an idea, but (and i hate saying this) it could do with a bit more direction, i wasnt even aware there were treasure chests until i read the passage (i did get some but i had no idea what they were at the time), but then i guess thats kind of the point. I dont want to say too much about the game itself as you're right Hendo, you probably get more from it if you go in knowing nothing.

It's definately a good idea, I'd like to see the same concept explred on a bigger scale (the bit about the spouse in particular), although, and this might just be because ive been playing it, it reminded me of Ico

I got it working after some prodding around, I'll spoiler what I did for those that haven't played it.

It does make you think about stuff, I also questioned my own attitude because I was frustrated by the fact I couldn't get treasure chests and wished I never brought the missus with us. I didn't move that far east, I was just going for the chests. I don't know if it was intentional but the changing maze did leave me stuck when I was old and it did make me think of being house bound and not getting around much and when my partner died the whole map oppened up into nothingness, almost desolate, which was unnerving.

I think it's hard to do something this meaningful via games because I just found I was mostly trying to get points like some gaming Magpie, it was only when old aged kicked in that it made some kind of sense.

I tried the trial of that Community game, Sly. I'm glad I did because I wouldn't buy the full thing. Not sure what the difference would be, but where I can see what the guy is trying to do it didn't really do anything for me. I thought that Passage did a better job of conveying the same idea.

Yeah, both games sound very similar, it totally wouldn't surprise me if one had taken cues from the other or vice versa depending on which came out 1st. Neither sound (can only say that as I have not played the one Hendo originally posted about) much fun to play though, it's kinda of like watching a depressing film you can't tear yourself away from because you want to know the reasoning behind the story.

Yeah Passage isn't exactly what I'd call an addictive game but you can't fault the art style, the music and the way the imagery is presented. It looks like a lot of love has been put into it. From what I played of Time Flows though, it's like the guy's spent more time writing his essay on what it means than making the actual game.