passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

No Internet Connection :(

stoobie

My internet connection is screwed and I have no idea why. The modem and the router are both working (well the lights are flashing so I assume they are) and my PC can see the network - it alerts me when I unplug the cable. I just cant get it to connect. Even if I connect my PC direct to the modem rather than through the wireless router. Hence no online for me at all at home.

My only guess is that we have gone over our download limit. I say we - I mean OH has. There has been a lot of 80s/90s cartoon series being downloaded lately including over 120GB of Beast Wars ffs.

I could have rang the helpline but I'm not using their provided modem so they probably wouldnt give me the time of day and its 50p a minute :o Im gonna try ringing them today using work phone to see if the account is locked. If not - fuck knows what to do - might just buy a whole new modem/router thingy and hope that fixes it.

I am not the most cleverest of people when it comes to hardware :)

I think if you go over your bandwidth limit they just lower the speed you can get rather than cut you off. It's stupid that there's limits anyway, where's the point in paying for a decent connection if you're not allowed to use it.

Anyway it could just be that there's a problem on their end, I dont know who you're with but it happens with Virgin now and then

Yeah, I think if you went over the limit, you would get a slapped wrist, then if you continued to do it, they would ask you to go on a higher tariff or throttle your speeds. Might be worth ringing them up to see if it's a fault.

Does the modem they gave you have no wireless? The TalkTalk one is just ethernet and when I rang them with some problems and they started having a go at me for not using the router they supplied, I asked them how I was meant to connect a Wii, 360, iPhone, DS, PSP and 2 PC's when some of them can't do anything but wireless?

Your best bet is to ring them and hope it's a problem on their end and make them feel bad about it. But if the lights are flashing as normal then there should be a connection coming through, so, erm, no idea.

Right - I am back on - I dug out the shitty speedtouch modem that they provide you with and that has connected fine. Only problem is (as Hendo says) it is just phone line in and thats all - no wireless.

I might have a go getting it back on tonight but I suspect my modem is fucked.