passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure

Hendo

I could've sworn there was already an impressions thread for this here? Oh well, down to me.

If you don't know what this is, imagine a 16-bit style platformer, right down to the pixellated art style and high-quality chip tune music. In this platformer you go, as usual, from one side of the level to the other, beating enemies with a melee attack or shooting your gun, collecting gems to buy levelling up abilities from the between-levels shop. Occasionally, you'll get a special attack and be put inside a mech suit, stomping through the level, in the exact same style as the huge Mario special attack in New Super Mario Bros.

Now that you've got that straight, imagine a totally different game, this time a match-3 puzzle game. Blocks rise from the bottom and you have to swap blocks horizontally to get a vertical or horizontal line, much like Planet Puzzle League.

Henry Hatsworth is those two games combined as one, platform on the top screen, puzzle game on the bottom screen. If you kill an enemy, they will go into the puzzle part and if you don't match 3 of the same colour as him, then he will eventually rise to the top and come back to life in the platform game. If you pick up a life heart in the platform game, you won't be able to use it to refill your energy unless you match it up in the puzzle game. And so it goes.

The fact that the puzzle game is moving upwards at all times means that you can't play the platform game exclusively, and although the platform game is paused when you're in puzzle mode, time is limited meaning you have to swap between screens pretty regularly. Building up a special ability bar in the puzzle game brings you the chance to use that special ability I mentioned before (the mech suit). That's about as much of the mechanics as I can think need explaining, hopefully I've explained it so anyone that hasn't played it can grasp the game in their head. If it sounds head scratching, then it really isn't at all, but at this point (just finished the first world, defeated the first proper boss) I'm not sure the platform sections are good enough to stand up as a great platform game - they're definitely playable but nothing has really stood out as good level design. The art style for the first world is a little bland too, hopefully the second world will be a little bit more interesting to look at.

Still, it's early days and this has made me dig out my DS so it can't be bad. It's actually very good so far but I'm just a little apprehensive that the puzzle game aspect might come more into play later on, like, you need to do massive combos just to progress. I'm not especially good at these types of puzzle games at thinking ahead, just at matching what I need.

I dont think I will buy this - I like the idea and the style they have gone for but I hate the puzzle league style of puzzle game. The most boring type of block dropping game ever. I would have prefered it if they had stuck to straight platforming - but then I guess it wouldnt have got the interest it is getting.

I dont think I will buy this - I like the idea and the style they have gone for but I hate the puzzle league style of puzzle game. The most boring type of block dropping game ever. I would have prefered it if they had stuck to straight platforming - but then I guess it wouldnt have got the interest it is getting.

I'm not a fan of that style of puzzle games either, and the platforming is rather average, but the two complement each other really well. The puzzle game is simple enough to never really get in the way too much and the platform sections aren't too difficult that you don't find chance to switch screen.

The strongest thing about it though is its style and humour, it absolutely revels in the stereotypes it presents in the characters and just runs with it, and the whole "Tea Time" super mech thing is just genius, everytime I play it, it puts a smile on my face, even the Metal Slug style bits where you can't move along to the next portion of screen until you've defeated X amount of enemies are an absolute joy to play.

Put it this way, Chixie and I have been racing for the DS to play our individual save files :lol:

I'm not overly keen on those Metal Slug bits, as there's no indication as to how long before you're done.

I have found it quite a harsh mistress at times, died plenty of times so far and I'm somewhere near the end of the second world.

The platforming's getting slightly more interesting and there's been a couple of new elements added to the puzzle game, but nothing brand new - the trash element from Puzzle League, where you have a massive block to get rid of along with the smaller usual blocks.

I'm quite torn so far as I love the humour, style and 16-bit graphics (and the originality of it all) but nothing about the actual game is making me think it tips over the edge into "must buy".

I guess the Eurogamer review I read a week or so ago was spot on, that it's more a game for people who want something a little different in theory, which is what this is.

while the platformer and the puzzler in Henry Hatsworth are perfectly competent, they're nothing special. Neither could be described as classic examples of their genre, and neither offer anything new. The switching mechanic does add interest, but not quite enough to make Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure a great game. If you just can't get enough Bejeweled and don't mind a decent 2D platformer now and again though, it's fun.

I think that sums it up really well, it's a very good game but nothing that's making me sing it's praises, and sadly I've been reminded of Drawn to Life, where the ideas are maybe better than the end product.

I'm onto the second world now, and I'm really enjoying it. The presentation and humour have a lot to do with it, as they are both excellent.

I like the platforming a lot, it's full of character and the levels feel well designed. The puzzle section is quite easy, but giving you a limited time before you are booted back to the top screen makes you play it a lot quicker. I still often run out of blocks to match before the timer runs out.

Having the puzzle mode affect the platforming is pretty good, from making blocks appear in specific places, to giving you engergy, or zapping enemies on the top screen. And the the super mech powerup is a lot of fun.

Well worth the £15 it'll cost you on Amazon or Play.com

I started this last night and played through the first three levels. It's great! So humourous, and the ability to upgrade various things is a nice touch. The graphics aren't amazing but they do the job. I like the way the game works, and am enjoying both the platforming and the puzzle aspects. I'm looking forward to playing some more.

• 2 weeks later...

Now Chinatown War's story is done I thought I'd head back to this and give it a proper play. I'm on 2-1 now and I really like it, the graphics are nicer in this world too, more colourful. It's tough and unforgiving at times, but it's never unfair. I totally love the way they have implemented the platforming and puzzle action. It becomes second nature after a while, and I like its take on Panel de Pon. I'll be focusing on this game for the foreseeable future.

Triple post bonanza. I'm up to 3-5 (46%) now, and I'm still enjoying it. It's very tricky in places, and I appreciate it for that. The levels are fairly lengthy which is good. I don't have a lot else to say from my previous impressions, other than it's still in my DS slot and being played whenever I get the chance.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 years later...