passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia

DANGERMAN

Oh, im level 22 atm. Whats anyone else? Thats a polite way of asking Ben but including Stoobie.

20, only about 100 points away from hitting 21 though. Btw if it's not already apparent I absolutely fucking love this game, I fucking loved Portrait (didnt love Dawn quite as much) but so far this looks like it's going to rate even higher on the Benometer of awesome (the highest rank achievable is Ben obviously)

And yeah TGK, the bosses are more refined and inventive this time imo, making beating them more satisfying as it's less down to overpowering

Edit another post to say I beat that last boss you mentioned ill, you're right he's quite easy once you learn his pattern. Only downside is he's so big and his moves have such a large spread that I had to go off the screen to dodge then couldnt see he was charging ub his massive leap move. Bastard nearly killed me in one hit. May I recommend the (overhead) shield as your second glyph when Stoobie and TGK get up to it, helps a lot with one of his moves

Oh, im level 22 atm. Whats anyone else? Thats a polite way of asking Ben but including Stoobie.

I am level 5 - go me! You would think not having a TV would mean I would sit and play my DS/PSP to death - but instead I am spazzing about on the internet instead. I am going to go and play Castlevania now. When I find my charger. Wait...is that a page of inconsequential internet rambling...must read it....

Ive spent a little bit of time arsing around doing jobs for the villagers, some of the voices are great! Finally got some horse hair for the bard, he gives you a

record. Then i had to do a sketch for a little old lady, and ive been a photo journalist aswell! I love the village, really makes this game feel unique to the other titles.

I guess the records may seem pretty pants to people not too familiar with the first games on the NES, but so far they've been tracks from the original.

Got the bad ending last night, the fight leading up to it isn't all that hard but is a lot cheaper than some of the others. Now I need to hunt things down to get the better ending, which is a bit annoying especially as I know where at least 2 of them are even if I cant see where their rooms are on any maps. I was expecting it anyway so it's hardly a surprise that you have to retread things a bit on Castlevania. The only downside is that it's going to make me more powerfull for when i have to redo that boss fight, taking away a bit of challenge

Got past the bad ending, took a while to find everyone, had to beat the boss again to see where one of the missing "things" was, then had to do it again to get past it. Got a nice powerful glyph off him, and nabbing it when he casts is a good way of getting some hearts back so you can spam the combi attack against him

I recommend the large sickle and dark orb glyphs. He walks into the orbs (you wont get much chance to se the sickle) and the combination of the 2 is a large arc that hits twice. I'd also recommend this for the next boss fight as while neither are that usefull on their own, he's easy to dodge (jump late for his ice attack, absorb his magic, leg it to the side and jump over his ball thing) and you can hammer him with the combi without needing to leave the ground.

I'm at level 31 now, and have done a few of the villagers tasks, just need to find some high level stuff, as well as some lower stuff like a mouse and werewolves. I'm tempted to save them till it's all done with, they'll give me a reason to keep playing

Ive just got past some crappy

Sand Fish boss, he was piss easy really, i used the Ice Glyph, the move that uses your hearts was taking 222 points of him every time, so about 6 of them when he was on the floor and the rest as and when i could fit them in took him down in about 5 minutes. Didnt do it first time mind, only once i learnt his ridiculously easy pattern.

Theres a couple of glyphs i havent been able to get. One was at the top of some sandy walled tower but it was too windy (eve tho i was wearing a wind ring) and one is too high up for my double jump. I guess you get a better glyph later on that increases your manouverablilty?

The wind one if you can get up there you just need to start absorbing from the very edge, took me a couple of tries but once i was lined up right i did it no problem. The other one I havent got yet either, but I got an item in a similar sort of place by waiting for an enemy to be under the ledge, just low enough for me to double jump, then you press down & B to to a head stomp which bounces you higher. (thanks gamefaqs!) (edit: Done it, stamp on the birds, get yourself a glyph)

I dont think you've done it yet, but theres a water boss coming up that's really easy but really good fun because of its pattern

Got me the bad ending, got all the villagers now so i guess ive got to beat All Bran again. I was having trouble with him at level 26 but i went to the patented 'illdog OoE level up spot' tm, got myself to level 30 and whooped him all up an down. So now ill do it again.

I'm quite near the end of this now, although that could reasonably mean another 5 hours before its done. Last night I put it on while I was waiting for the football to start, I'd moaned elsewhere that I was at the Vania hump, the bit in castlevania where you either dont know what to do or there's a massive difficulty spike. But with a bit of effort I was back into it and beat 3 bosses, 1 of them first attempt (with a whopping 37hp left).

Once you get to the castle and opened it up a bit there's some really nice graphical tricks, my favourite, even though it's a bit messy, is the cangle lit rooms. They project your and any enemies shadows onto the back of the screem, it's really clever and just shows the amount of work they've put into OoE to stop it being just another Castlevania.

Boss wise

There's a shadow based boss that's a bit of a twat, harder than Death in fact, he pins you into a corner and it can be a nightmare trying to read where his attacks are going to land. There's a Shadow of the Colossus inspired boss, that involves a bit of cunning to get around. Quite easy once you work it out and if you spam the combo attack in the right place. There's also Death who's had a bit of a spruce up. He's essentially still the same in terms of his sickle throwing, but he's got a couple of new moves over PoR. He also seems to be much weaker, and so lond as you read his attacks and slide from the right position to dodge he's fairly easy. The biggest problem I had with him was accidentally jumping into him and losing 100+ hp

Im at that Shadow Boss, he's no fun at all. I turned it off after a few attempts, ill try again tonight i think.

Im Level 34 now, using a Powerful Lance glyph and a Beam one i nicked of a green skeleton.

Loving the new castle, its pretty fucking huge tho.

The beam seems quite good for that boss because he just stands there and takes it.

I got up to the infamous broken steps that lead to Dracula, problem is I dont know how to get across them. I tried one way using a glyph i'd recently got but unless i was timing it badly I dont think thats the right way. Off to gamefaqs I go i guess. Then I think it might be a enemy kill fest in order to get the glyph i need

EDIT: Solved it, didnt need to look at gamefaqs just needed to go in a room i'd bottled entering

Completed this tonight, after getting destroyed by Dracula the other day I went off Glyph hunting and trying to finish some of the villagers tasks. I also used a glyph that lets you earn loads of gold to stock up on items for the big fight. Doing all this let me gain 9 levels (from 42 to 51) pretty quickly, I wasn't aiming to grind I was planning to stock up on items then take on Dracula again. so it seems it's a lot easier to gain levels on OoE over previous games in the series.

Tactics also make more of a difference this time around. I wont go into too much detail because I dont want to ruin things, but I was taking advantage of stat boosting glyphs and a certain ring that offers a bit of a power boost (Im not going to go into the actual tactic i used tho). I still died a few times on dracula, less on his first set of attacks more on his new set purely because i had no idea they were coming or how to dodge them. Even when I eventually beat him it was more about having enough health replenishers for the final section.

One thing i will say is that at the end of the fight (it sort of tells you this anyway) you need a certain combo to beat him.

I had a quick blast of

Albius

mode too, I nailed the first boss insultingly easily yet dont seem to cause too much damage. It has a limited moveset and no items etc, much like Richter mode in Portrait. Seems good but I'm not going to start it properly until next year probably (I say that, but i think i said the same with Richter mode and started that immediately)

It opens up a bit more after that stinking crab.

This is my current train journey game and that bastard crab is causing me no end of problems. I spend most of my journey levelling up a bit, give the crab a go and die and then it is time for me to switch off.

I have got to the third time he attacks you where there is only platforms on one side - how many more times do you have to climb the tower? Please say none.....

Im using the axe and lightning combo - is that the best one to use on him?

I think there's 4 levels to it, I could be wrong though. I think the last one you have to fling yourself up to it then you can jump in the lift.

Tbh the most important thing is to learn his pattern (sounds easy). I still took damage a couple of times when he was destroying the ceiling, but his other attacks are pretty avoidable. I can't remember the exact pattern but I think he has 3 moves, the arm slam (you can either duck under or cling to the top right) the bubbles start at one side and spread across, so stay to one side and as he fires leap to the other. Cant remember what his other attack is sorry, and you've probably already worked it all out. The crab boss is perversely hard compared to some of the others

Yeah - I've worked his attacks out - apart from his ceiling smash - I dont think I can avoid it. I just cant manage the Right button jumping and hanging you need to do! I will beat him tho - I get the later train tonight which means I get a seat and can sit and concentrate on it. Damn crab.