passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Gears of War 2

illdog

I am disgusted that the Gears of War thread is so far down the list already.

Anyhoooo... are any of you guys facing the HORDE tonight?

I gotta give my girlfriend a bit of a seeing too, but its been over a week due to work and colds so i shouldn't be more than about thirty seconds inc cleanup.

yeah its a deal.

Tell you what... If you are downed though Jimbo i'm gonna walk up behind you and dry hump you before reviving you... just so you feel all dirty and used for the rest of the game.

same shit different day

im up for this like if Mariah was asking

mariah carey? :unsure: i'll pass thanks

MATCHMAKING PATCH RELEASED

Or should that go in the news??

Anyway... had a quick shuffle on the multi after installing and it DOES indeed fix it up and make it find games faster... in MOST cases.

i.e. played a couple of matches... found them fast... played another... took forever.

Oh..and the lag seems worse now but that might just be cos its thanks giving and every single mofo in USA is playing on xbox live... bastardos.

This is what they patched

"Hey all,

I’m happy to announce that this morning, at 3:40 AM PST, we released a title update that should help with the current matchmaking issues. In order to get the update out as quickly as possible, we focused just on immediate infrastructure issues and have left any potential gameplay issues for a future update. Here’s what’s in today’s title update:

* Adjustments to make Public matchmaking faster, especially in the single player party and the four player party case. Some of these adjustments should be felt immediately and some will play out over several days as our update enables us to reduce player segmentation by reducing the number of servers required to do matchmaking. This will increase the number of possible matches available for you to join.

* A tweak that should prevent us from losing some of our additional detailed stats data that we gather for gearsofwar.com. Due to the large number of concurrent matches, our stats gathering servers were not able to collect data for every single match played. The Xbox LIVE leaderboards are 100% accurate but our existing stats web pages may have some missing data prior to the update.

* A fix to address the issue where some players were unable to start the story-based campaign if Xbox LIVE was down or unavailable.

Something to keep in mind, if you have been playing Gears 2 since the title update was made available, then you will need to restart the game in order to be prompted for the update. If you don’t do this, then a situation will occur where people without the update will not be able to match make with people who have the update. This has nothing to do with the game or this update in particular, just the way the title update system works.

We want to thank everyone for their patience during this time and we will continue to monitor the situation. We’re hopeful that the matchmaking issues we’ve seen up till now are a thing of the past.

Thanks,

Rod."

MORNING!!!!

I read somewhere (i am sure it was his post but can't see it in there) that the effects of the update might take a few days to have full effect... something with the way the xbox live system propegates information / patches to matchmaking.

Anyway.... since the patch i have had ups and downs.

Most matchmaking is far quicker.... although it now seems to have slowed down again! Not to the impossible pace it was at... but still not as fast as it should be since its only trying to find nine other players!!

The lag is possibly getting better.

I am not one hundred percent sure of this.... i could just be learning to adapt... but was not getting my ass whopped by sunday as much as i was on friday.

The host advantage thing is an utter joke. Seeing as this was one of the things that they said they had removed from the first game! Clearly still there.

I was told you can tell if you are host and HOW much lag you have by shooting a weapon and seeing how fast the bullet count goes down on your hud. If you are host this will be instant (the same as when you play offline). If you are not there will be a delay.... the amount of delay is how much lag you have!

As host you can litterally mow people down, One shot gib them with the shogun and alll kinds of other crazy superman shit.

The other thing the game is STILL doing is putting up unbalanced teams.

I was in a game the other day. We were all 1 or 2 stripes in rank and one man missing from start.

The other team were all 2 or 3 gold stripes....and of course we got absolutely anihilated.

I am still loving this game though. I thought i was over it and then had an INCREDIBLE session which got me totally addicted again.

Horde is also still the most awesome thing in the world ever.

I was getting a bit bored as i had only ever played it on the same maps, but i had a go on HAIL last night and it was brilliant. Its quite a big map so it felt also like an epic campaign mission.

Actually they have nerfed the snipe to the point where you really do have to be aiming at the head... so that is good.

I think the weapons and stuff are much more balanced... just when u have host you really know about it as your shotgun becomes a fucking rocket launcher!

What i don't understand is that EPIC... a company that pretty much invented multiplayer gaming.... can't seem to keep up and produce stuff that works. Unreal Tournament III was an otherwise fantastic game on all accounts but the online implementation was appauling... games had constant lag, no party system...

Gears 2 is the same... they have plugged in some weak excuse for matchmaking EVEN THOUGH they could just lift it from the mould that bungie set up since its technically owned by Mircosoft anyway!... and they use host side hit detection instead of client... or the other way around... i don't really get it... but basically it means that whoever is host has massive advantage in all their games. All other online games stopped using this technique donkeys years ago as it was proven to be a terrible way to handle stuff.

Epic argues that their method makes it harder to hack.... but realistically HOW many people hack on xbox live???

Idiots.

• 3 weeks later...

I didnt think I would like this game as much as I do but I am really enjoying it. I die lots, but its only cos I keep rushing in without my backup. It feels nice and chunky and solid and the explosions and what not are brilliant.

I like the way you can choose a direction at certain points and still see what the other option is doing.

I think I have broke my save tho - I was crawling up to the other man to get him to heal me and just as I died he killed the last 'thing'. I got the achievement for the completing the level and the next cutscene played but then it wouldnt load anything after that had finished. I was off to bed anyway so I didnt try to reload it - will have to see later on today.

I was wondering what you thought of it! Didn't think you'd be into it, to be honest, so that's a nice surprise.

I got glitched (literally) right near the end so I had to re-do a chapter, but that should be the worst that you'd have to do. You shouldn't have to start from scratch, just pick an earlier chapter from the menu to start on.

I was wondering what you thought of it! Didn't think you'd be into it, to be honest, so that's a nice surprise.

I tend not to play shooters as normally you cant see the person you are controlling and I get confused with where I am, but the man in GOW is there and big and chunky so I always know

You might appreciate the co-op achievements for the first game:

Dom-curious

Domination

I Can't Quit You Dom

And this one:

One-Night Stand

Open Relationship

Friends with Benefits

It's a shame that Epic's sense of humour is often lost on many of their customers, at least the ones I've met online.

i was watching a video bout the achievements on gears of war 2.

One guy came up with most of them because he was the only whore there.

He tried to make all of them puns and he hates secret achievements so there wasnt any.

I think he said he liked "Better wrapped in beacon" the most.

Also has anyone downloaded the combustiable map pack yet?