passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Race Driver: GRID [NDS]

retroed

I got this not expecting a great deal. It's received excellent reviews almost across the board, but driving games on the DS in the past haven't really been up to much. This however is pretty much a scaled down version of its console and PC counterparts, packing in quite a lot of stuff.

There are three area's in which you have specific races and events to participate in, just like the bigger versions, and you even get Achievements! There's a track editor that I haven't had much of a play with yet, but is meant to be fairly comprehensive. It also features online play, but I can't comment on that yet either.

The handling in GRID is spot on, with each car having certain characteristics. I'm using the bumper cam and having a great time with it. I've heard some comments that the braking and steering is buggered, but as in a real car, braking and steering from high speed is not recommended. Braking early and steering into the corner is a must in the more powerful vehicles.

On the whole, Firebrand have done an excellent job bringing this game to DS. It's well presented and graphically it's very impressive, you do get a good sense of speed when driving. I can see it being overlooked as most racers do on DS (this and MK:DS are the only two I own, I think), but having tried other racers in the past, this is definitely the best one out there as a realistic arcade sim experience.

How does it compare to World Driver Championship (which I thought was totally awesome) on the N64? I guess it ought to be pretty similar really?

I'd love a great driving game on te DS, I just can't bring myself to go and buy it, incase its pap. Sounds like those who have it like it though!

EDIT: I just looked up WDC, man I miss that game! I remember the tracks so clearly :)

I never played WDC on the N64! GRID on DS is an impressive game though. I paid £12.50 BIN delivered for a sealed UK copy on eBay. I'm sure he meant to price it at £22.50, the fool. But I'd say yeah it's definitely worth a purchase for under twenty quid, I think movietyme.com have it for £17.99 if you don't mind waiting a while, or Play-Asia for a tiny bit more. :)