passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Pixel Junk Eden - PSN

DANGERMAN

Downloaded this the other day but only had chance for a quick blast and it left me utter confused. Thankfully a second go has made things a bit clearer and it's really quite good.

You play as a thing and have the ability to fire out a web, this web lets you swing around crashing into enemies, collecting time-ups and proppeling yourself to other platforms. When you mack into enemies they release pollen, which you have to collect by jumping/swinging into it. Collet enough pollen and you'll be able to activate a bud (I'm making the names up) turning it into a plant, which is then used as a platform to reach higher ledges. The ultimate aim is to find the big symbol things that are dotted around the stage.

It's a weird cross between being mental, relaxing, addictive, and actually quite tricky, but it is very very good when it all clicks. Tyhere's a couple of annoyences, I have no idea how to tell where the symbols are, I think they might flash when you get in the vicinity so you see a bit of light creeping into your screen, but that's not too usefull when your in completely the wrong place. Time constraints, don't really like them in slower paced games like this and Echochrome, don't really see the need to include them. Thirdly, when you get enough symbols to end the level you get kicked out and have to start again, fair enough, but all the plants you've built go too, wich is going to get annoying later on.

Other than that though I'm really liking it, not sure i'll ever play it enough to complete it but it's definately one of the more interesting games I've played in a long while

I have heard it takes a few runs at it to get into but when you do it's brilliant.

Definately, I think a demo might actually be detrimental to the game, it took me a while to get the appeal. It's surprisingly basic, but it does get under your skin

• 5 months later...

I've been playing this again recently now there's been a 'make it easier patch'. I'd been playing it on and off but had hit a bit of a wall that I couldnt really see me getting past, but thankfully now I can. There's some really inventive levels too, one of which I was completely stuck on, turns out it's not as hard as i'd thought and I reckon i might have been able to do it without the patch. The one i'm on now messes with the gravity, which is a bit annoying as sometimes it'll change after a minute or two, so you dont get a chance to reach anything, other times it'll take forever because you're struggling to build up a pathway to the centre (and so could do with the gravity change)

If you've looked at getting it i'd say now is a good time as thanks to the patch it's actually pretty good fun beyond the first few levels.

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd bump this rather than post in the download thread.

PixelJunk Eden Encore out next month

PixelJunk Eden Encore will be released next month, Q-Games boss Dylan Cuthbert has said on the PlayStation Blog.

"Eden Encore will be coming out very soon in April," Cuthbert wrote. "Get ready for zero gravity, mirror worlds, all new music from Baiyon, and we've added something extra special at the end which is a Big Secret and is a present to all the fans.

"On top of all this, we're flying along with the next new PixelJunk title (we're calling it #4 for now) and even experimenting with future PixelJunk ideas too."

The last Encore update, for PixelJunk Monsters, introduced 15 new levels, including nods to old arcade games, along with a variety of gameplay tweaks. Q-Games hasn't said anything about Eden Encore pricing, but Monsters Encore went for USD 5.99 when it launched.

I really want to give this game a try.

• 5 months later...

Threadurection! :rolleyes:

I finally managed to get all the levels finished in garden 3 (I thought I was a lot further than I was), it was actually quite easy once I started to relax and not try to push myself. I had a nice tour round garden 4 too, I managed to have a good explore and open all the seeds. I honestly thing garden 4 will be a walk in the park compared to the previous garden, that enemy in there could be a royal pain in the arse if it was pressing you too hard. The walls might be a problem, but from what I can see even the one spectra right at the top isn't hard to get to.

Well garden 4 was a walk in the park, actually really relaxing as even the time wasn't a pressure. I think garden 5 is going to be a cunt though, as the pollen spores have decided to fight back now. I'm also struggling to find any Spectra in 5 as well, it took me about 5 minutes to find just one before I decided playing with a broken gearbox all over the carpet was a bad idea. I'll probably do it though, it's just about changing the playing style to suit each particular garden.

Well, Garden 05 wasn't as hard as I through it was going to be. I got up to the collect all Spectra and buggered up once on the last one, but I learnt from my mistakes and gave it a good hiding the game after. It wasn't that hard once I figured I could

open holes in the walls and nip through as and when I needed

to, in fact, it was a necessity because you needed to do that to get all 5 Spectra. Not looked at Garden 06 yet, I am hoping that it won't be much of a pain.